Thread: Kick pedal setup question

User Info Menu

Default Kick pedal setup question

I've been really focusing on my right foot lately. My hands have improved a lot over the last few months but my right foot is way behind. I'm made some good improvements over the last 3 weeks or so. But now as my right foot speed is improving, I suddenly constantly wacking the top of my foot with the beater.

I'm using a tama iron cobra. I pretty much took it out of the box and have been playing it that way ever since.

So I know I can adjust the beater position so it isn't laid back so far. But my question is, should I? Or should I change my technique (i.e. not take such big "backswings")?

Thanks!
    Doc

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kick pedal setup question

Hi Doc_d!
    I´m not currently playing IC:s, but I have been for about 5 years prior to buying my Trick Dominator double pedal.
    You should not get bruises on your wrist! You probably have set the beater too far away from the batter head. The possible "back-swing" you get depends on the positioning of the beater.
    If you´re looking for speed and control you should individually adjust the angle of the footboard and the playing angle of the beater. You´ll find that the pedal is faster when the angle of the footboard in relation to the position of the beater is set to come as close as it can get to the floor/clamp when the beater hits the batter head. Due to the IC:s inherent "whooompiness" you will get a pretty satisfying "whooomph" even though you loose some of the power . If you think that you loose too much force you could use Tamas "Beater Balance", if you already have a pedal equipped with a balance just place it nearer the beater head. Experiment with the spring tension until it feels right. The IC:s are usually a VERY user-friendly and apologising pedal (compared with for example the Trick!!!)
    Lube! Lube the spring and Speedo-Rings and board-joint and so on! Use the right lube, buy Tamas own if you´re unsure!
    There are a number of clips on YouTube explaining the setup of IC:s. You should also have a manual on how to individually adjust beater position and footboard. Here´s a link to a manual (.pdf):
    http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/japan/supp.../ironcobra.pdf
    Good luck with your IC! A wonderful piece of machinery... why did I sell mine....
    Last edited by signpost; 11-19-2010 at 09:29 AM.

User Info Menu

When you're sitting on your throne, are your thighs perpendicular to the floor or slanted down? All the big time pro drummers recommend adjusting the throne to where your thighs are pretty much level with the floor...if you're knee is a lot lower than your hips, then the top of your foot will take a pounding from the beater if you are playing off the ball of your foot so you might want to reduce the "backswing" of the beater and get the knee's and the hips close to the same height...doing so will aleviate the pain and give you a gain in speed and control. JMHO~
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Does the beater hitting the top of your foot create negative issues? My beater hits my foot very often and i've never thought of it being bad, except for the bruises, so I attached a piece of foam to the back of the beater, all smiles now......

User Info Menu

Great tips, guys! I play the IC as well, and I've done very little tinkering with it.

User Info Menu

As you develop better muscle memory control with your right foot, you'll stop beating the top of your right foot. Your brain and your muscles in your right foot will slowly recognize how far the beater will swing back before striking the top of your foot. Before you know it, you'll have enough control where you'll rest your foot on the footboard to keep enough pre-load on the pedal spring to keep the beater in a postive position.