Thread: what is a Sizzle cymbal?

User Info Menu

Default what is a Sizzle cymbal?

correct me if i spelt it wrong

User Info Menu

its a cymbal that often has holes dilled in it and rivets in it or a chain attached that bounces on the cymbal to create a sizzling effect
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

I see, thanks man

User Info Menu

If the answer hadn't been provided already I would have had the right answer - good for the ego.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

i just use a chain on my 18" k custom session ride.........perfect

User Info Menu

Cool what is a Sizzle cymbal?

...not to be confused with a Chinese cymbal or a trash cymbal, which sound similar, but they don't have rivets...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    ...not to be confused with a Chinese cymbal or a trash cymbal, which sound similar, but they don't have rivets...
    some chinas have rivets, you find alot of jazz guys use em. they sound great with brushes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    some chinas have rivets.
    Like Swish Knockers (that name makes me giggle like a schoolboy).

User Info Menu

lol, yea same here jobby, i saw it in my zildjian magazine, first page, peter eikstine and he had a 22 inch swish knocker, i laughed for like 20 minutes

User Info Menu

Cool what is a Sizzle cymbal?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    some chinas have rivets, you find alot of jazz guys use em. they sound great with brushes.
    sounds like I'll have to try 'em, funky! I must admit "swish knockers" almost sounds R-rated!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i think of butthead saying to beavis....huh huh huh, cut it out swish knocker.

User Info Menu

Tip I got from DrumTips.com:
    Put pennies or dimes on a thin piece of duct tape and tape the top portion to your ride cymbal. It will make your ride cymbal sound just like a sizzle cymbal.

User Info Menu

never tried that one.

User Info Menu

Cool! thanks for the tips drummer