Thread: Soundproofing my room

User Info Menu

Default Soundproofing my room

Hi all,
    I just moved my drums into a spare bedroom and the sound is deafening! Does anyone have any inexpensive tricks to reduce the noise?
    Thanks.
    MAPEX Meridian Maple
    Transparent Midnight Black
    Sabian XS 20 Rock

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Soundproofing my room

Headphones.
    Or, Ear Plugs.
    And work on getting that same sound from your playing without the volume. This will do wonders for you as a player. It will tremendously increase your dynamic skill learning how to play what you need to play at a volume that would never work live, or only work live in a small venue with greatly reduced playing volume. I use a 4 piece with 18" BD, 8x12, 14x14 set at our practice place and the room isnt all that big, maybe 16x20. It takes a fair amount of control to maintain your technique at minimal volume output. When you do play smaller venues, this is a skill you will have cultivated, and the enjoyment level of your audience will be greatly enhanced.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theploughman View Post
    headphones.
    Or, ear plugs.
    And work on getting that same sound from your playing without the volume. This will do wonders for you as a player. It will tremendously increase your dynamic skill learning how to play what you need to play at a volume that would never work live, or only work live in a small venue with greatly reduced playing volume. I use a 4 piece with 18" bd, 8x12, 14x14 set at our practice place and the room isnt all that big, maybe 16x20. It takes a fair amount of control to maintain your technique at minimal volume output. When you do play smaller venues, this is a skill you will have cultivated, and the enjoyment level of your audience will be greatly enhanced.
    +1
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

+ 2

User Info Menu

I also practice in a small room and yes it will blow your head off.

You could probably make some reduction by hanging heavy curtains from all the walls, or something like that. That'll dampen the echoes a bit and reduce the amount the room works like a soundbox on a speaker. But bottom line you're gonna need hearing protection and/or mutes.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.