Thread: Recording Drums

User Info Menu

Default Recording Drums

Hey guys. I am looking for some advice on recording my drums so that I can better critique myself. I have just been using my phone or web cam from my computer and the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. A friend of mine gave me a M-Audio Firewire 410 box (I don't even know what it is called) that has a few ports for mics. He used it for guitar. So I know that I am going to have to buy a few mics. I was wondering if any of you guys have used something like this and would have any advice for me? Or do you have any advice on a good method for recording for someone on a budget? Also any thoughts on good mics for recording? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

-----------------
    Recording Drums
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording Drums

Take this for what it is and thats first hand experience and not advice. I was and am still looking to record just for the "share" thing. I also wanted to hear my playing from an outside perspective and not from behind the drums.

So, I know, the best way to do this is with good software, good set of mic.'s and a good quality mix board and interface plus all the cords. These will costy you some mucho$$$$. So I comprimised and bought a Blue Microphones Snowball USB mic. It does not come with software, you will have to find and download a software package and there are tons of them out there but hardly any that are worth the time will cost you some dough.

This brings us to the overal performance of the mic and what I experienced using it. I set it up and downloaded a free recording software package of the internet called Audacity. I the proceeded to record and try the mic out. I was not real happy with the recording. It sounded very cheap and really crappy overal. Cymbals came through great but no bass tone and anything with resonance just buzzed together.

At this point was getting ready to haul the mic back to G.C. where I bought it and get my money back. I sat for a minute and remembered the Reaper Recording software he told me about at the store, that I could download for free. Only he did'nt explain to me that it was only good for 30 day trial and then it was going to cost like $40 for a none commercial type use and the price went up from there. Thats why I tried Audacity first.

I went to Reapers web page and downloaded thier recording software and wow, what a difference! Much, much better quality over the Audacity software. So take this advice. Software plays a bigger role in recording than I thought, so pick your software carefuly. Go cheap, get cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I went the cheap route on the mic and stuff because I wanted to make sure this is something I wanted to, and it is. So I'll be getting a good set of mic.'s, a good interface board and some real good software in the future.

Also on another note. I think this mic I have now would do much better recording in an area with better acoustics than the area I'm recording in now...... a basement. So when I get ahold of another room in the house, I'm going to try it out there and maybe try some accoustic foam and the like. I'm also going to work on mic placement also. I was using it set up about 4 foot from the set. My basement is longer than it is wide, so I think the sound is slamming it from the sides. I may try it right under the set and see if that makes a difference good or bad.

The only problem I'm having now is figuring out how to get the recorded material from the file on Reaper to a host on the web so I can share.....
    Last edited by jafo; 11-21-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

What is your budget? For just home simple stuff, one sm57 would work. 2 would be sweeter. IF you are using Windows XP, cool edit pro is a nice program, but I don't know if it's still available. I think it got rolled up into Native Instruments. You could always get Pro Tools.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

What you need is this. A fostex recorder. I plug two mikes in it, and at this moment I don't remember what type, and then it's all good. To transfer the files, I went to radioshack and bought a adapter plug that goes from the fostex to the computer.

Then I use Sony acid music studio to convert the files to MP3. The fostex now is $199, it used to be $250.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Geo Rose View Post
    What you need is this. A fostex recorder. I plug two mikes in it, and at this moment I don't remember what type, and then it's all good. To transfer the files, I went to radioshack and bought a adapter plug that goes from the fostex to the computer.

Then I use Sony acid music studio to convert the files to MP3. The fostex now is $199, it used to be $250.
    Cool, can you post some sample files?

User Info Menu

With that M Audio unit you can use 2 SM 57 mic's to record. Those are great all around mics you can always use for recording and live applications. Why don't you ask your friend about the software he used with the M Audio unit. I think those units came bundled with decent sotware. You should be able to make good stereo recordings and EQ in the computer useing the software. Export your recording as a stereo . wav file or MP3.
    If the software doesn't export MP3's, MusicMatch Jukebox will convert .wav files to MP3's and vice versa, and is a free download. I use it to convert files all the time. You can upload the .wav or MP3 files and paste the link on here.
    Last edited by VIbes; 11-21-2010 at 05:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of getting myself one of these for recording rehearsals, gigs etc. seems to be a perfect solution. A friend of mine has an earlier one and it's great. Anyone have any experience of it in practice?

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

I don't have an H1, but I do have a Q3. And I highly recommend that. It makes an excellent audio recorder, and you can take video. It does eat through batteries though. And the included software is garbage. But the device itself is very well made and performs admirably.
    Last edited by Kazaamski; 11-21-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: High crimes against the english language
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I'm thinking of getting myself one of these for recording rehearsals, gigs etc. seems to be a perfect solution. A friend of mine has an earlier one and it's great. Anyone have any experience of it in practice?

Cheers

Andy
    I have a Zoom H4 that works absolutely fantastic. I ran sound for a friend of mine a few weeks back and recorded direct from his board. Wow, I couldn't believe the quality of sound. I previously just recorded shows from the built-in mics and that works very well too.

User Info Menu

i have made some preety nice sounding demo Cds with just 2 room mics
    it takes a long time but just get 2 mics and play with room placement
    just remeber where they where for a good sound LOL
    and just use a basic mac or PC program to start with
    i have found plaing the mics infront of the kit between 1 to 3 m away and at diffrent hights works well
    drum kits have a nice ballanced sound when listened to from in front
    if you have a friend that can play
    get a ladder
    put 1 ear plug in but a pair of over the head types are better as you can have them on when you move around giving your ears a rest and just lifting 1 to listen ( you dont what the stero sound)
    and move around high (use the ladder )
    to low and have a listen once you get the basic idear of how the room sounds (could have a lot of high Fx up near the roof and you may fine a bass heavy corner and such)
    than place the mics and start the recording and listening thing
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help! I think I will start looking for two quality mics and some decent software and see where it takes me.

------------
    How to Record Drums
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~