Thread: Head setup

User Info Menu

Default Head setup

Hi all! I haven't played since I was 13 and now I'm 43 and picking it back up. I am playing with 3 other guys playing mainly country and just picked up some equipment in October. I have some questions concerning these new heads and how to get the sounds I really want. I have Yamaha drums and the original heads really bit! I am now in the process of switching them out with new Remos. I have done quite a lot of research on the internet, as well as on here...so i guess I am not going completely blindly, but pretty close! I play mainly brushes because the guys I play with play acoustic Martins. I got the snare sounding pretty good. I have an Ambassdor coated batter and am going to put the Remo hazy snare side on the bottom tonight. Hope it sounds good. My main problem are the two mounted toms I have (Yamaha Birch Stage Toms 10 and 12"). Originally they had clear tops and resonators..of course, they sounded like junk no matter what I tried to set the head pressues at with my dial...and I know clear tops suck for brushes anyway. I am trying Coated ambassadors for the tops and am going with THE SAME for the bottoms...I am trying it because I want the Toms to be warm and quiet...i thought clear ambassadors would be more resonating! I don't want bongy toms! I also have some Remo o rings to try to get the ring out of them. I thought, too, I might slap some remo muffle rings on the toms (any experience with them) as well to keep them quiet for the type of small band we are. I am a little premature in posting because I am still in the process of setting them up and testing, but I was just looking for any extra help you guys may give for the type of quiet sounds I am after...One dude told me that 2 ply heads may be what i want for a batter because they are quieter too??? Do I sound like I am going in the right direction or just a rambling idiot??
    Last edited by polygonguy; 11-22-2010 at 02:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Head setup

Welcome to Drum Chat polygonguy (are you a math teacher?)!

I think you are headed in the right direction with the coated heads, as they will warm up your sound a bit. If you are looking for a lower pitch (thinking of your Remo-O's), then you might want to consider the Coated Pinstripes, otherwise the coated Ambassadors should be OK.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

hi mate welcome back inti the saddle
    i used to play alot of country music
    i loved the coated diplomates
    if your after a deader tom sound they will help as theyare heaver than the ambassodors.
    i would go with a single ply clear bottom ,, you dont what to choke the toms of all there tone when your using mostly brushes
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

thanks so far...and yea, i am a math teacher

User Info Menu

From what I've read on Drum Chat and with limited experience I believe I'd agree with your choice of going with coateds all the way around.

If that doesn't work, you can always change to something else.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Good evening, polygonguy...
    I'm new here too, but welcome, anyway...
    I recognise what you're looking for, I think. I played Ambassador coated for years (LA Camco kit...); they are excellent, but I tried coated Evans G2s a few years ago, and have adopted them for good as batter heads. For acoustic sounds, on warm drums, I find them to be best (imho, of course...). As an extra, they are incredibly easy to tune, following the 'Prof.Sound's Drum Tuning Bible'. I have kept with Ambassadors as resonators, no compatibility problems.
    For snare, you may also wish to try the Evans Genera HD Dry, the most responsive head I've found, and great with brushes. Equally easy to tune.
    Hope this helps...
    (Usual disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any make, other than as ordinary customer...)
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Dad3353! I sure agree with the Evans Genera HD Dry snare head. That is one awesome head, in my opinion.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Dad and pastor, thanks for the info!!!! My setup last night sounds pretty good with the ambassadors. We play tonight so that will be the real test. I think i am going to try the evens, too, especially on the snare. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Ok, I am going to tell you what works! Remo coated 2ply on top one ply on bottom for toms, super kick 2 and force 2 rez on base no hole with no muffling what so ever, you wont need it, and a reverse black dot remo on top of snare and an ambasador for snare side. Remember you are playing for the people out front not where you are sitting!
    Last edited by buck20; 11-23-2010 at 07:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buck20 View Post
    Ok, I am going to tell you what works! Remo coated 2ply on top one ply on bottom for toms, super kick 2 and force 2 rez on base no hole with no muffling what so ever, you wont need it, and a reverse black dot remo on top of snare and an ambasador for snare side. Remember you are playing for the people out front not where you are sitting!
    Thank goodness for telling us all what works- i think the drum head manufacturers should stop making any other drum head, because you're telling us what works!

User Info Menu

+ 10 on 2 plie coated over single ply clear. Evans Genera HD/ Hazy 300 is the best combination for a snare drum.

User Info Menu

yo funky, Tell us all what you are using. hopefully no moon jelly, duct tape or laundry in your base drum.

User Info Menu

I wound up putting G2s on my toms with clear Ambassador resonators and a hunk of moongel! The snare has a genera Hd dry with a hazy ambassador resonator and remo ring...the stuff sounds awesome! thanks guys! I am beginning work on my kick! Any pointers for heads on the bass (i was thinking an emad2 from the description), some say a port, too?? What will the port do and how does one go in???

User Info Menu

I use the Evans EMAD2 / EMAD reso (ported). I don't use any internal muffling and like the sound I get from these heads. I tried a non-ported reso. It sounded good, but I didn't like the beater bounce that went along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by polygonguy View Post
    I wound up putting G2s on my toms with clear Ambassador resonators and a hunk of moongel! The snare has a genera Hd dry with a hazy ambassador resonator and remo ring...the stuff sounds awesome! thanks guys! I am beginning work on my kick! Any pointers for heads on the bass (i was thinking an emad2 from the description), some say a port, too?? What will the port do and how does one go in???

User Info Menu

Any pointers for heads on the bass (i was thinking an emad2 from the description), some say a port, too?? What will the port do and how does one go in???
    Good evening, polygonguy...
    Glad you're on the track to getting 'your' sound...
    For kick, I would wonder whether you are looking for 'boom' or 'thud', and whether you play acoustic or miked. For 'boom' (my choice...), Ambassadors both ends, no port, no damping, no nothing; just a suede patch where the beaters strike, and tuned fairly low. For 'thud' (or 'thump', or whatever...), Evans EMAD2 / EMAD reso are great; the 'port' (or, in technical terms 'hole'... ) allows the drum to project more, but with a much drier sound. Much easier to mike up (inexperienced sound techs tend to not like unported kicks, ime...) and quite easy to tune. I like the dynamics I get from the full drum sound, but it's a question of repertoire and how you want to play the kick (light fill-in, power punching, double pedals, big band...). Try a couple of different heads at your local music store, if they have several rigged up; they would normally cooperate, I would think...
    Hope this helps.
    PS: I wouldn't recommend cutting a port in a head yourself; there's a 'science' to it, and the results are rarely convincing. An offset port is best, imho, as it allows a better resonance from the head, and is more easily tuned.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments everyone! Dad, I have an emad2 and am waiting for the emad reso now...I will swap them both out when I get the reso...that sounds what I am looking for. the of my drums sounds really good now, too! I have G2's on the toms with ambassador resos and an evans hd dry and an ambassador snare side on the snare. ..sounds kickin with brushes now! I hope the emds will cure my bass sound now! Also, I have a couple of mics we have been playing with some...experimenting with locations. Any ideas on where one might put two mics for the best sound???

User Info Menu

Good choice of heads with EMAD, and so many options to chose with their mufflingring. If you need to make a port in your reso head (some come without), its easy peasy with a coffee can heated on a stovetop, and pressed in in seconds. See any YouTube video showing how under 'making a bass drum porthole'. That should then require only one mic. If you want a deep,resonant drum, ala Bonham, don't put a porthole in, but then mic is outside and/or n opportunity to dampen for quiet settings. good luck

User Info Menu

...I have a couple of mics we have been playing with some...experimenting with locations. Any ideas on where one might put two mics for the best sound???
    Good afternoon, polygonguy...
    I'll avoid the obvious bad taste anatomical reply as to where to put the mics ( No, please wait; come back, I was just kidding...).
    Two requirements for a reasonable reply, please. Are these mics for recording, or for sound reinforcement? What type (or make/model...) do you have?
    There are some simple guidelines for any of this, but it would help you more if we had these details, perhaps.
    For general PA work (just to blend the kit into the PA with the rest of the band, not to carry over a football pitch...), I would use a mic for the kick, and an 'overhead' boom mic for the rest. If one can choose (there are many preferences for kick mics...), I should go for a dedicated model; I use a Superlux FK-2 (mounted permanently inside the kick...), although a '57 can be made to sound 'reasonable' (well, at a push...). A 'static' mic would be best for overhead (I use Superlux HO-8...), not too directional so as to capture 'all' of the kit. Positioning has to be experimented with, but is not critical if it's only to blend the drums into the mix.
    For recording, it's a bit different...
    Hope this helps...
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)