Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moon Gel

User Info Menu

Default Moon Gel

I am getting a ring, even after applying a Remo Oring on my steel snare. I see a lot of you guys talking about how well Moon Gel works. What is it? How do you apply it? How much to use? How long does it last? Please fill me in... Thanks!

Moon Gel

User Info Menu

Default Re: Moon Gel

Steel snare drums need to ring a little, It will sound great down front. but if you must pull one little square out of the case and put it on the edge of the drum head next to the rim, that should do it. Also try detuning the bottom head a little and then tighten up the top head a little at a time while hitting it until you get the sound you are looking for.
    Last edited by buck20; 11-23-2010 at 07:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Comes in a container of four pads. Little blue sticky pads that you place on batter heads to kill over ring. I use it. Had mine for over two years now. Works for me. You can clean them with dish soap and water from time to time when they get dusty. Quick, inexpensive fix when you are trying to deaden up things a bit.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

I use one or two pieces on my snare depending on what I head I have on. Works great.

You can see two of them on my snare:

And one on this one on the right side if you look close:

User Info Menu

Yes MOON GEL best invention as it looks so professional better than duct tape or whatever was used in the past for muffling drums. I have used everything under the sun till I discovered moongel and I love it. Goes on and off easily without leaving any glue marks. I had the O rings and they were okay I guess but the moongel took away the overtones that O ring didn't. Try some they are cheap.

User Info Menu

I have been using moon gel. Great invention! I highly suggest that you try it! It's about $6.00 a pack of 4 @ your local GMART (Guitar Center). Bye Bye Duct tape & toilet paper! LOL!!!

User Info Menu

I have one on my snare, and one on my floor tom. I love Moon Gel!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Moon gel is a wonderful thing. I used duct tape for a good 20 years! Took some goo gone and elbow grease to remove the residue.

From experience, however, the rings do more than moon gel if they are the thicker rings. So replacing with moon gel might not help. Maybe a combo of both?
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Best thing since sliced bread! You can use a full piece as many do or you could opt to cut a piece in half. I tune my toms so that both batter and reso heads are harmonically in tune, then I drop a full piece of moongel usually where I think it sounds best and that's typically at the 12:00 o'clock or the 3:00 o'clock position but that's my personal preference. You place moongel anywhere you feel it sounds the best.

User Info Menu

I will def try some!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Moon Gel

Quote Originally Posted by polygonguy View Post
    I will def try some!!!!!!!
    You won't regret it my friend.

User Info Menu

What I found with the O-rings. They actually allow the drum to have more resonance but not the annoying, "DOING" sound.

I use them on my Masters toms for a more controlled sustain.

The MoonGels are perfect for deadening a head but not choking it off completely.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Wow.....over a dozen posts - and not one mention of people using Moongel not being able to tune their drums properly! lol

(I don't agree by the way....but it always seems that comment comes up.)

I use Moongel on my snare and one tom. It just depends on the venue a lot of time also.

It does wash easily....and will last longer if you keep it in place and leave it. But if you gig a lot and move your drums around, I find that it loses it's shape and becomes pitted. Still works....but it can end up looking like a shriveled up piece of blue roast beef on your heads.

I like E-rings/Remo rings too...but they're a little too much at times...and they have a slight buzz when on toms that I don't like.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Moon schmoon!
    Check these first-
    cheaper, more decorative, seasonal designs, longer lasting(won't shrivel) and washable, packs of 10 gels cost $1 at dollar stores: WINDOW GELS.
    Last edited by slinglander; 11-24-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added text

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Wow.....over a dozen posts - and not one mention of people using Moongel not being able to tune their drums properly! lol

(I don't agree by the way....but it always seems that comment comes up.)

I use Moongel on my snare and one tom. It just depends on the venue a lot of time also.

It does wash easily....and will last longer if you keep it in place and leave it. But if you gig a lot and move your drums around, I find that it loses it's shape and becomes pitted. Still works....but it can end up looking like a shriveled up piece of blue roast beef on your heads.

I like E-rings/Remo rings too...but they're a little too much at times...and they have a slight buzz when on toms that I don't like.
    mmmmmmmm blue roast beef .......
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

When I used to use similar rings years ago, every once in a while I would snag one with a stick and send it flying across the stage. I had the buzz problem too after I flung it across the stage and created a little crease in it...

Still works....but it can end up looking like a shriveled up piece of blue roast beef on your heads.
    Now if Moon Gel only could remove Cup-O-Noodles off of my computer screen after reading that line, it would be perfect!

Moon Gel Jerky...calorie free and lasts longer than chewing gum!
    Last edited by xsabers; 11-24-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: to, too, two...DOH!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Moon schmoon!
    Check these first-
    cheaper, more decorative, seasonal designs, longer lasting(won't shrivel) and washable, packs of 10 gels cost $1 at dollar stores: WINDOW GELS.
    Window gels, huh? Got to check that out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Window gels, huh? Got to check that out.
    I've done this...and it does work pretty good.

But...

1. The clings aren't as sticky....but will still stick good enough to be effective.

2. Their color may bleed through on coated heads. Leaving a permanent stain.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

"Their color may bleed through on coated heads. Leaving a permanent stain."
    My old moon gels did that, too.
    They don't leave stains on clear heads, tho, and if you want(and somebody might) you can even get"Hello Kitty" gels!

User Info Menu

I've got two blue stains on a snare head from moon gels. No biggie to me.

User Info Menu

Pshh wallet FTW!!!
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Well I have taken your advice! I put two new g2s on my mounted toms with clear ambassadors as resonators...they really sound good with a hunk a moongel on them

User Info Menu

I tried moon gel but it made my snare sound dead. I can't figure out why?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post

HA!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post

DRUM FOUL...DRUM FOUL

Don't make me do this again!