Thread: The Whole Sha-Bang!

User Info Menu

Default The Whole Sha-Bang!

So, I am completely new to recording drums.
    I have an acoustic 5 piece drum set.(snare, bass, 2rack toms, and a floor tom) Basic set up with 1 overhead crash, a splash, and a ride. and obviously hi-hats.

I want to start recording my drums for videos. I really want to make drum covers/lessons for youtube. I have a budget no larger than $350.
    I was wondering what i can get for this.

I was looking at the CAD drum mics. The only sound stuff i have now is some acoustic treatment, a fast computer, and audacity.

Any advice you can give would be loved.

Thank You

-Ruabat

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Whole Sha-Bang!

Hey Ruabat.
    Just read your post. Well you are going to have your hands tied a little based on your budget. Good news first... A good computer and software is key and it sounds like your have that.Now the rub, with 350 dollars you will be able to pic a set of mics used that will work for recording drums but you have got to interface the mics with the computer and this is where the expense is going to come in. There are a ton of different interfaces but what you will want is a minimum of 8 inputs for real time recording of 8 mics at once and the interface needs to have preamps built in unless you want to buy those as well and btw, those can be crazy expensive. The closest thing I can think of include the presonus firestudio, or the 8 channel interface from motu. I would look for these used on ebay which would push the price down.

Now there are quite a few people that will tell you to buy a analog mixer which can mix and sum all of the mic inputs into two channels and then you can buy a cheaper two channel analog/digital interface. Here is the rub on this sit up. You will only have two channels in the computer to process and mix instead of all of the mics and unless you are using a high end analog board and you have years of recording experience will you not be able to get close to the end product of mixing each channel separately in the computer. The software and plug ins now a days are just unbelievable.

So cliff notes version of above...
    1. Mics (need at the minimum two over heads, snare, and bass with optional tom mics and room mics as well as a crushed mono room mic sent to a compressor)
    2. A/D interface which will turn the analog mic signal into waveforms. This unit needs preamps to power your mics.
    3. Computer and software to mix the above mics which will be on separate channels.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by nucjd; 11-25-2010 at 07:39 AM.

User Info Menu

hey man i have the same stuff as you, and the cad 7 mic set, and i will be trying the analog mixer route, as i already have a 2 input interface. will keep you posted if you want. i think if you can get it dialed through the mixer it would sound good.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Hey.
    thanks for the help. would something like this work? (for an audio interface)

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ace?sku=245002

The Tascam Us 1641 USB 2.0 audio midi computer interface?

User Info Menu

Hey Ruabat
    Yeah that would work. Just know there will be some degree of latency when you play and what you hear as it is USB interface rather than fire wire. I do not have any experience with this unit unfortunately so can't comment on quality of recording.

User Info Menu

You could get a zoom q3. It's a really nice audio recorder with a camera. Then just get some movie making software, and sync your videos to audio tracks.
    see here for zoom q3 example
    the video that sold me
    and more of me
    The Q3 is 199 @ Sam Ash.
    Last edited by Kazaamski; 11-27-2010 at 12:54 AM.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi