Thread: Anyone have a drumset with concert tom?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone have a drumset with concert tom?

I'm thinking about getting a tama imperialstar 1980's and the toms are
    concert toms. Can you guys tell me what music you guys play with
    concert tom and do you use any muffle and what is you're favorite
    skin for it? Show me pictures and video of you're drums. Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone have a drumset with concert tom?

I have some concert toms I use in various setup's. 6" 8" 10" 14" 15" 16"
    Haven't used the 6"and 8" for a while. I usually use those with my Timbales when I am playing percussion.
    The concert toms are ok but I would use double sided toms for a traditional setup.
    One of my fav setups is the 10" concert tom with a 8"x12" double sided tom and 15" and 16" concert toms for floor toms. will ocassionally use the 14" concert tom along with the12" and 10". I don't muffle them at all. They project nicely too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    I have some concert toms I use in various setup's. 6" 8" 10" 14" 15" 16"
    Haven't used the 6"and 8" for a while. I usually use those with my Timbales when I am playing percussion.
    The concert toms are ok but I would use double sided toms for a traditional setup.
    One of my fav setups is the 10" concert tom with a 8"x12" double sided tom and 15" and 16" concert toms for floor toms. will ocassionally use the 14" concert tom along with the12" and 10". I don't muffle them at all. They project nicely too.
    What no cymbal? Atleast have one. Yea I am confuse.

User Info Menu

Hi Vibes. What kind of drums are those?

all the best...

User Info Menu

I used to have a Slingerland kit that had a set of 6,8, 10 & 12 inch (or was it 4, 6, 8, 10 inch?) concert toms.

They were awesome.

I put Remo black dots on them.....and another time had Evans Hydraulics on them. They sounded great with the Evan heads.

Of course....similar to RotoToms in pitch....but with plenty more bottom-end, depth and clarity.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

In that pic. The bass drum and double headed 12" tom are Chanute Camco's. 1973 Predecessors to DW drums. The shells were gifted to me by James Corder of Corder Drums.
    The 10" concert tom is a Maple Ludwig classic. 1979. The floor tom's are 15" and 16" Ludwig maple concert toms. 1975. I made the pic with no cymbals so you can see the drums. I use Paiste 2002 cymbals 16" crash 18" medium crash, 22" ride. 15" sound edge hi hats. I use 14" new beat Zildjian hi hats for jazz.
    Last edited by VIbes; 11-26-2010 at 12:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Very nice. I was thinking some sort of Ludwig/dw hybrid. The bass and the one rack have different kinds of lugs on the same drum. My fave wrap. Silver sparkle.

all the best...

User Info Menu

When I first started, I used "concert toms" because I couldn't afford 2 heads a drum. Hydraulics make for good single headed toms. Concert toms aren't limited to a specific genre or anything. They are neat. You can tune them to specific pitches. You could use a single headed kick and a few toms to play your own chord progressions. Tune to the kick to a I, the high tom to a IV, and the floor tom to a V. I kinda wanna do that now.
    Last edited by Kazaamski; 11-26-2010 at 07:04 PM.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi