Thread: Double strokes

User Info Menu

Default Double strokes

My teacher told me that I should start practicing 'bounces' for my doubles. Hes probably right because.. well hes a teacher. But the way I look at it, won't those bounces come naturally once you reach a certain speed using your wrists?

User Info Menu

I suppose, but wouldn't you rather gain that skill faster? Even just adding a set of tasteful doubles into a fill- or something.
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Not necassarily. Alot of people do, however not always. I for one have alot of trouble bouncing wiht my left hand for some reason. Because I thought like you I have never sat down and improved the ability. My right hand is fine and does it naturally, but my left has to really be forced, so when I'm playing it's not something I can just do.

Don't be like me - be better
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualFrog
    I suppose, but wouldn't you rather gain that skill faster? Even just adding a set of tasteful doubles into a fill- or something.
    If you rush through it, you can get some bad technique, which means that you won't be doing it well, and could run into problems later on.

If you learn it properly the first time (start slow with a focus on good technique) then becomes a lot easier later on, and a lot faster.

I've got great left-hand doubles, as easy as the right. I use them all the time playing one-handed snare fills while still riding. It rocks.

User Info Menu

I hate doing doubles. I want them to die. I sit there working on them but it is slow going, then I get mad and do singles.