Thread: Metal Drummer needs help with X-Mas List!

User Info Menu

Exclamation Metal Drummer needs help with X-Mas List!

So I'm thinking of just stuffing my list full of recording equipment, since this is my last Christmas at home.

I want to get equipment to make decent recordings of drums, because I would love to put covers up on youtube that sound good.

I want a nice, deep tone, but that can still get the crack and musicality out of my drums. You see where I'm headed? And I don't like all that clicky triggered bass drum crap.

Now, I can't spend a million dollars on this stuff, but I need to know what exactly I need. I figure I can go with a 4 piece kit, and just forget my second floor tom, as I don't use that often, anyhow..unless you would all suggest I continue with it.

I like bottom end on my snare. Big time. So any microphone that can accentuate that is a plus.

Also, a fat, deep tone out of my toms, without being overly dead, is wonderful.

And a cannon for a bass drum.

My drums are pretty good size (24" bass, 13, 16, and 18" toms), so it's more of what mics can pick up the boom.

Also, overheads. I have 16 and 18" HHXplosion crashes, 19" AAXtreme China, 21" AA RBDR, and 14" AAXcelerator hats. I'm unsure if I need a seperate mic for the ride to make it louder, etc. etc.

Also, cables, mixing boards, softwares? Just general advice.

Thank you in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Metal Drummer needs help with X-Mas List!

Also, what kind of heads would you suggest as batters? I currently use Aquarian Powerdot II and remo ebony as resonants..and evans reverse dot for snare batter. superkick II aquarian for bass batter.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a well thought out plan. The kit setup sounds amazing 13, 16, and 18" toms , cant wait for the video's. F/T

User Info Menu

I need help before I can post the videos. (>.>)

What kind of equipment do I need?

User Info Menu

it completely depends on budget on what you get

Audio Technica drum mic set would be ok for recording on a budget
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

I'm sorry to say it's almost impossible to to give you good advice to your questions. Recording is a daisychain of events and processes where each effects the other that it's impossible to isolate what will do it for you. Here's my suggestion and be patient.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Engineers-Handbook-Mix-Audio/dp/0872887235/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293220993&sr=1-7"]Amazon.com: The Mixing Engineer's Handbook (Mix Pro Audio Series) (0073999304763): Bobby Owsinski: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Recording-Engineers-Handbook-Artistpro/dp/1932929002/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293220993&sr=1-8"]Amazon.com: The Recording Engineer's Handbook (Artistpro) (0082039629001): Bobby Owsinski: Books[/ame]