Thread: Tabla?

User Info Menu

Default Tabla?

Anyone have any experience with indian tabla? I'm looking into hand drumming. Anyone play? Any opinions? It seems hard to learn, there's not that many resources.
    Sticks
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion (Deep Amber)
    10, 12, 14, 16 Toms 14 Snare 22X18 Bass (Stock heads)
    16 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    18 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    10 Inch Paiste PST 3 Splash
    20 Inch Zildjian Ping Ride
    14 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Hi-Hats

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...35.html?t=8435

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Tabla?

Haven't played tablas, and, truth is, I'd like to try it myself. I think we may have a member who plays them...anyone to help us?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tabla?

I don't have any experience of playing tabla but have met a few players in my time due to visiting India many times.

If you want to really get into tabla the best bet is to spend a while in Varanasi in India. this is a city of music and you can meet musicians from around the globe and find many tabla teachers and of other instuments. I have one friend who has been learning shenai (an oboe-like instrument) for 20 years (he spends at least six months of the year there).

If that is not an option for you, then my advice is find a tabla teacher in your local area, possibly in a local hindu or sikh temple.

I have heard good advice that you should find a teacher before buying tabla as you could be buying a pile of junk.

I know tabla ain't easy. there is a whole language to learn with it but the variety of sounds are amazing so definately worth pursuing.

Good Luck
    Rich
    Current Set-Up - Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Paiste Signature

Damaru - The drum of Shiva.

Hows my drumming? http://soundcloud.com/bilton-grange

Say Hi - http://www.facebook.com/biltongrangemusic

User Info Menu

Yeah, it seems like it can really do a lot of awesome stuff. I just might run into trouble learning how to play it, Lol. I'm trying to choose between Conga's and Tabla...
    Sticks
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion (Deep Amber)
    10, 12, 14, 16 Toms 14 Snare 22X18 Bass (Stock heads)
    16 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    18 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    10 Inch Paiste PST 3 Splash
    20 Inch Zildjian Ping Ride
    14 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Hi-Hats

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...35.html?t=8435

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thornmachine View Post
    Yeah, it seems like it can really do a lot of awesome stuff. I just might run into trouble learning how to play it, Lol. I'm trying to choose between Conga's and Tabla...
    Well if that be the case I don't really know much about either Congas or Tablas but also make sure you think about the kind of music you want to play. Tablas are mostly used for Indian music, while congas are used in more styles but mainly latin and stuff like that. Good luck!
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

My brief experience with tabla{one lesson} I found it a difficult instrument to learn and play.I wish they were easier,I'd have a set;I love them and all Indian music.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Tabla?

Quote Originally Posted by thornmachine View Post
    Keep in mind that while tablas are hard to master, other hand drums can lend an Oriental sound to a piece of music. The doumbek (a small hand drum often used in Middle Eastern Music) can be played with the hands and fingers to create that kind of rhythm. If you're starting out, as a real noob, I'd start with the congas and bongos; they are easier to learn and many of the hand and finger techniques you learn on them, you can use on other hand drums as well with a little adaptation.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

This is an old thread but I thought I would resurrect it to share my views. I am a student of tabla, and yes, it does take a while to get comfortable in it. And there are always things you need to work on...

Just like anything else!

I think exposing yourself to as many different things as possible, then picking a few that you like the sound of and just focusing on developing these things while keeping an opening mind is not a bad approach to have. If the sound of tabla happens to be something you are drawn to, pursue it. Find a good teacher and start learning then eventually you can start exploring yourself. There are tabla players all over the place now, and some of them even offer classes online, over skype. We live in an age where there is no excuse not to be learning something, and tabla is no exception.