Thread: Pratice Pads!

User Info Menu

Default Pratice Pads!

Well since my snare drum is to loud for the neighbor hood, i was thinking of picking a practice pad up at the music store. Question is: Does it have the same bounce as a regular snare does? because i want to make sure I'll still be able to improve my skills equally as much. And also so when I transfer what I learn on th e practice pad, it wont feel awkward on a regular snare drum.

User Info Menu

Practice Pads tend to have more rebound than an average snare drum. Especially the gum rubber ones. Although they are nice to play on, I myself don't find it all that hard to transfer what I've practiced on the pad to the snare. But I suppose that the practice pad is a little more forgiving at speedier tempos.
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

most pads are pretty bouncy. i like the digital ones with adjustable mesh heads so you can have them tight or loose. they are also great for monitoring your precicion. also remember to practice your sticking on all kinds of dif surfaces and dif angles. you want to be able to execute with no rebound as well as with alot of bounce. the reason is, not all drums bounce the same. a floor tom plays a little dif than a snare, ya know what i mean? also i sometimes get stuck playing other peoples gear at jams and such. i cant count on them always tuning the same way as me. i want to be comfortable knowing i can still get my licks off no matter how mushy some other guys snare feels.

User Info Menu

Well I practice on a pillow as well which as 0 bounce. For that purpose exactly, because a floor tom defiantly doesn't have the same feel as a snare. Also it gives you greater strength in your hands. Frog what do you mean by "But I suppose that the practice pad is a little more forgiving at speedier tempos." you mean Its harder to get at higher tempos with one? or easier?

User Info Menu

good man,

User Info Menu

I practice on both. pillow and pad. so maybe do both after work? or before lol

User Info Menu

Lafirin... im sure Frog means he can go faster on a pad than on his kit. i know this is true for me anyway
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

gotcha, thanks paul.

User Info Menu

Oh oh! Buy a "Billy Hyde" pad. Its black rubber and has great bounce, I've bought about 6 pads and thats my favorite so far (besides my mesh snare on my electronic kit which I often use) another option is the "Moon-gel" pad.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

hmmm, billy hyde huh? Iv'e heard good things from billy, my best friend uses one. and someone in this chat, i think HB strongly suggested it too. do I have to order it or what?

User Info Menu

I'm not sure, I know Long&McQuade just had a stack of them. It really depends on what stores you have around you. I highly doubt that you would have to order one. (Another bonus about them is the wooden backing, so just flip it over and play to drive everyone nuts) The downside would have to be that there a little expensive.

And no matter what pad you buy, mount it with a snare stand not a cymbal stand, I've had the cymbal stand go through to far and leave a bump in the middle of some.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

so how do yall keep your base drum pad to stay still
    PDP
    paiste high hat
    paiste 18" crash/ride
    zildjian 10" splash

"the beat flows through me"