Thread: Interface question

User Info Menu

Default Interface question

Does anyone know of an interface that is less than $300 and is able to record each channel separately onto the computer (with at least 4 channels)? I want to be able to EQ each channel separately once they're on the computer. I'm looking for something along the lines of the Presonus Firepod, but less expensive. Any suggestions?

And while I'm here, what's a good snare mic that isn't too expensive and that I'll be able to clip onto the rim? (as opposed to putting it on its own stand).

Thanks!
    -Yo
    Matt

User Info Menu

Default Re: Interface question

Hey Yohin
    The firepod/ fire studio would be good choices and I would look on ebay for a used one which would then fit well within your budget. If you can, stick with firewire interface which will keep latency down while real time recording.
    Last edited by nucjd; 11-28-2010 at 05:05 PM.

User Info Menu

If you're looking for 300 and under, you might consider the tascam us-1641:

For microphones, it appears you are looking for something easy to mount on snare yes? The most popular ones i've heard of are sm57's and i5's but if you don't want to use a stand, there are rim clips you can buy to save space. I'm using samson qsnare(not the best but whatev) which has a built in rim clip.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Tascam US1641. I have one I use for mobile recording and am very impressed by it. It's USB2.0 and not firewire, but as long as you're not using a bunch of other USB devices you won't know the difference.

You can buy the rim clips individually for about $15 that let you use pretty much any microphone. That being said, I've been using a Samson Q-Snare a lot lately, which comes with the rim clip. The Samson 7-Kit is a pretty good deal. Comes with a kick mic, three tom mics, a snare mic and a pair of condensers for overheads.
    Last edited by LDS; 11-28-2010 at 10:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LDS View Post
    Another vote for the Tascam US1641. I have one I use for mobile recording and am very impressed by it. It's USB2.0 and not firewire, but as long as you're not using a bunch of other USB devices you won't know the difference.
    So it can still record each channel separately into computer software like Cubase or something, so I'll be able to EQ each track individually?
    Matt

Larrysperf Guest

Or just get a mixer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    So it can still record each channel separately into computer software like Cubase or something, so I'll be able to EQ each track individually?
    Yes. I have a 1641 with Cubase LE5, and I can do 8 to 10 tracks at a time, which should be plenty for a home recording situation. Learning Cubase is a bit of a chore (they included a PDF users manual with mine), but once the inputs are setup and everything is talking to each other, you will have a recorded track for each input you set up, which you can then edit one at a time.

User Info Menu

i personally never got cubase to work, i switched to audacity, and its free
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Tascam, although I have no basis for comparison. I have used mine to record 4 separate inputs to 4 separate tracks on a Dell Latitude laptop, with the included Cuebase software, as well as on a MBP, with Logic, and have no complaints so far.

The LED's, which indicate clipping, change from green to orange to red and are easy to see from distance. The shortfall with it is, if you need to go beyond the unit's input capabilities you will be stuck. You cannot daisy chain it to incorporate more inputs like other units.
    Kit: 65 Slingerland Modern Solo Outfit

wellmixed Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Or just get a mixer
    Why would he get a mixer? He is asking about an interface...

wellmixed Guest

And while I'm here, what's a good snare mic that isn't too expensive and that I'll be able to clip onto the rim? (as opposed to putting it on its own stand).
    You should just Google for "Shure Microphone Drum Mount A50D." They are only $15 per unit and you can then use them with about any mic around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wellmixed View Post
    Why would he get a mixer? He is asking about an interface...
    Probably he meant to say a mixer with an audio interface, usb or firewire connection....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wellmixed View Post
    You should just Google for "Shure Microphone Drum Mount A50D." They are only $15 per unit and you can then use them with about any mic around.
    but he still needs a mic to put on the clip..... SM57 if ya can afford it, you'll never have to buy another snare mic

User Info Menu

i cant stress how much better using a stand is compared to a clip on the snare

well for me anyway the clip killed my sound

wellmixed Guest

Itchie makes a good point You will loose some resonance.
    I think that It's negligible on Larger Drums however.
    You may want to avoid it on snare as well, due to the large number of rimshots that will happen there.

User Info Menu

I find clipped mic on snare gets in the way- no good place to put it, so the stand adds location flexibility....