Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Which Cymbal Next?

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Which Cymbal Next?

    I've been playing with my XS20 high-hats, crash, and ride. Thinking about adding another to the set but not sure which one. Looking for advice from more experienced players - which one would be most useful?
    THANKS!
    MAPEX Meridian Maple
    Transparent Midnight Black
    Sabian XS 20 Rock

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    I would go for a second crash.
    Peace, Love, and Rock N Roll

    Matt

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I would go for a second crash.
    +1 Definitely the second crash.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    i would go for a second crash.
    +2
    -Reuben

    SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    +3
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    +3467559547

    I mean really, what else is there to get at that level?
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

    Four Of Spades Facebook Page

    Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!



  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    +3467559547

    I mean really, what else is there to get at that level?
    Does that mean my +4 doesn't count?

    You also have an option for a China or a splash.


    Rat, do not read this...


    Or a cow bell.
    Signature here

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    You also have an option for a China or a splash.
    Well yea, but I figured a second crash is more important at a more beginner level.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

    Four Of Spades Facebook Page

    Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!



  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    Well yea, but I figured a second crash is more important at a more beginner level.
    Hear hear.....having a crash to quickly go to whether you're using the hi-hat or ride, two crashes balance it out.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

    668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

    "A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Hear hear.....having a crash to quickly go to whether you're using the hi-hat or ride, two crashes balance it out.
    The more the merrier...I've got three crashes on my kit and I know a lot of guys that use four.
    Peace, Love, and Rock N Roll

    Matt

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    The more the merrier...I've got three crashes on my kit and I know a lot of guys that use four.
    Yeah....I used to have at least 4 (and even more crashes) set up...but..as I got into effects cymbals (and gigging more), you realise you need variations in the types of sounds to compliment the music you play. And a couple of large splashes I have are almost mini crash-like anyway, so why put up more multiclamps and tripods. But...we're all different, and everyone's views in DC is as valid as the next guy....it's up to the individual to heed the free advice of all our DrumChat Brethren. Cheers!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

    668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

    "A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

  12. #12
    kris finney Guest

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by FloMax View Post
    I've been playing with my XS20 high-hats, crash, and ride. Thinking about adding another to the set but not sure which one. Looking for advice from more experienced players - which one would be most useful?
    THANKS!
    i would say, get a splash or china cymbal because its different and
    Takes more creativity to play in a /fill/solo/rhythm and, incorporate the
    Right creativeness without anything clashing (most of the time leaving something out is better than putting loads in but it also depends what IT is),
    Much like buddy rich did

    if you do get a china cymbal, learn to hit them correctly or you can split them

    skip this if you wish:
    Also i donít believe ion 'the more the merrier' because, if you have 200 drums you arenít
    Limited to play something creative, but true creativity requires a challenge, something you
    are limited to that you can use your brain to, to be creative, if you have a small drum kit, its more challenging, which is a good thing
    And takes more brain power and ideas to make something creative, and then you may add another drum or cymbal
    And do it all again, also the 4 or 5 piece drum kit is what might be considered to be 'the perfect kit' since how
    Before drums were not in a kit setup, they were separate and took more than 1 player to create a rhythm using 2 or more
    Drums/cymbals, in drumkit size, 'less is more' and 'more may be less' depending on how you create something, also if you have
    a huge hit and youíre doing a solo itís a good thing to use all the kit but use it wisely donít go bananas because that isnít creativity
    And non creativity isn't music in my mind.
    Last edited by kris finney; 11-29-2010 at 06:46 AM.

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Hey bro, +7 on the second crash. Try go for an 18 inch to get a good variation in your sound. xs's are quite warm if i remember correctly, maybe go for something like a Zildjian K series, or a custom. if you have the cash maybe a meinl byzance. let us know what you are thinking of getting
    Best of luck
    I play for God's glory

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Yeah, an 18' thin crash would be good. Another option would be an 18' crashride (for a bit of variety) but it is really up to you..

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Thanks everyone. I am definitely on board with a 2nd crash but I want to find a place where I can here the differences between brands, construction, and size. I'll see what's left in the budget after Christmas and taxes...
    Thanks again for the thoughtful replies.
    MAPEX Meridian Maple
    Transparent Midnight Black
    Sabian XS 20 Rock

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Happy to help

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Why not grab an AAXplosion? Or, why even stixk with sabian... Explore bro. 2002, Alphas, A, K customs, Dream cymbals, AA, HH(X), etc. The possibilities are endless; Go crazy.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

    Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by kris finney View Post
    skip this if you wish:
    Also i donít believe ion 'the more the merrier' because, if you have 200 drums you arenít
    Limited to play something creative, but true creativity requires a challenge, something you
    are limited to that you can use your brain to, to be creative, if you have a small drum kit, its more challenging, which is a good thing
    And takes more brain power and ideas to make something creative, and then you may add another drum or cymbal
    And do it all again, also the 4 or 5 piece drum kit is what might be considered to be 'the perfect kit' since how
    Before drums were not in a kit setup, they were separate and took more than 1 player to create a rhythm using 2 or more
    Drums/cymbals, in drumkit size, 'less is more' and 'more may be less' depending on how you create something, also if you have
    a huge hit and youíre doing a solo itís a good thing to use all the kit but use it wisely donít go bananas because that isnít creativity
    And non creativity isn't music in my mind.
    Hit the nail on the head mate. Too many people suffer from Bozzio syndrome thinking that when they get that new 8 piece kit and a couple of roto toms they're gonna turn into the groove master.

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful Kai View Post
    Hit the nail on the head mate. Too many people suffer from Bozzio syndrome thinking that when they get that new 8 piece kit and a couple of roto toms they're gonna turn into the groove master.
    I do appriciate your opinions on this and I even agree to a point.
    However, I dont want to limit myself in order to learn how to be creative with a limited amount of drums or cymbals.

    I myself have 3 crashes 1 china and am working on 2 splashes (+ 1 ride and hats of course). If I wanted to take a hour to setup or tear down I would add a couple of Zil Bells and a second china too, but not likely. Well maybe 1 bell...lol.
    You either have the grove in you and can learn on a small kit or large kit, or you dont.
    Basically all I,m saying is play what makes you happy.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    I started out my quest to expand my kit with on goal in mind.....enhance the music. My very first band was an 11 piece stage band which included a 4 piece horn section. I was 20 years old at the time and I had no money. I bought a used 4pc kit that had one crash, one ride, one china, and pair of hats. As the band and my skills progressed, I needed to add different "voices" to accompany a 4 hour set of music. That's when I found the need to expand and add on. As the years added up, so did the gear. As my playing level increased, so did the money made from gigs which allowed me to buy better gear. It's a natural progression we all face a one point in our endeavour to become progressive drummers; expand, swap brand "A" for brand "X", trade and sell. It's too much fun to be had!
    Last edited by late8; 12-01-2010 at 05:16 PM.

  21. #21
    kris finney Guest

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    i do use big and small drum-kit setups since they are easy to add and take off noways but if you can be creative with bigger kits that's fine

    terry bozzio is dreadful
    Last edited by kris finney; 12-05-2010 at 04:09 PM.

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by kris finney View Post
    terry bozzio is dreadful
    You don't have to like him, but you have got to realize that the guy has some serious chops.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

    I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

    If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

    DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

  23. #23
    kris finney Guest

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    You don't have to like him, but you have got to realize that the guy has some serious chops.
    i dont know what chops are

    thing is, he sounds terrible and his concept just dosent work, i use melodic tuning sometimes ,its simole you have a key signiture then you tune the drums to the root, 3rd and 5th degrees of the key.you dont need 3 octaves of the note range , it dosent metter how many drums you have, to be good you have to come up with something new and creative while keeeping tempo and dynamics in those rythms ,he has terrible rythm and creativity

    if you put a beginner behind a huge drumkit he will still have the same skilll level.having more room to move your drumsticks and arms and more things to hit is a negitive thing , unless you know how to apply your creativity to them , this incluses knowing what to leave out and out in.

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by kris finney View Post
    i dont know what chops are
    lol

    Quote Originally Posted by kris finney View Post
    thing is, he sounds terrible and his concept just dosent work, i use melodic tuning sometimes ,its simole you have a key signiture then you tune the drums to the root, 3rd and 5th degrees of the key.you dont need 3 octaves of the note range , it dosent metter how many drums you have, to be good you have to come up with something new and creative while keeeping tempo and dynamics in those rythms ,he has terrible rythm and creativity

    if you put a beginner behind a huge drumkit he will still have the same skilll level.having more room to move your drumsticks and arms and more things to hit is a negitive thing , unless you know how to apply your creativity to them , this incluses knowing what to leave out and out in.
    couldnt have said it better myself
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

    Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

    Wuhan:
    17" china

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Which Cymbal Next?

    Preferring large vs. small kits, and deciding on the merits of any given drummer are going to be ongoing discussions. There are going to be strong opinions on both sides of the aisle. Everyone is welcome to express their own opinions, but let's be clear that this is exactly what they are - opinions, and like armpits, everyone's got 'em.

    Personally, I like a bigger kit, but then that is because I am not gigging. I just have to move my kit to the church and back, so moving a bigger kit really isn't an issue. Also, since I am not an accomplished drummer . . . yet . . . I like having different sounds with which to experiment. I have not desire to play a Bozzio sized kit, because I would even know where to start, but I do know that there is something to be said for both larger kits, and smaller kits. So I would say enjoy learning how to play on both, and then you will be playing what is appropriate to the music, the band, or the style. And as has been said by those more accomplished than myself . . . the more versitile you are, the more gigs you will get.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •