Thread: Sound Percussion double pedal review ($69.99 version)

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Sound Percussion double pedal review ($69.99 version)

This pedal is very good for the price. While it's obviously not the best pedal on the market, they'll last you until you can upgrade.

One of my major concerns about this pedal is its lack of customization. On my P-100, I had my beater pretty close to my bass drum head (A good 5-6 inches away) which made action smooth and yet still powerful. With this pedal, i can't adjust it to what I want. Also, the slave beater is uneven with the main beater. While this doesn't present a major problem if you can play double pedal well, it can throw you off a times, no matter the drummer.

The good

This pedal is heavy under my foot. I don't like the butter feeling. I like to feel what exactly i'm pressing my foot down on instead of gliding up and down. The smooth action kinda makes me feel lazy, with the effort output and all.
    This pedal is quick enough to compete with Joey Jordison's speed, but that's about as fast as you'll go. The beaters are also a bit heavy, but are nice and punchy when they hit the bass drum head, which isn't a bad thing, for me anyway.

This pedal, in my opinion, feels and operates best when the user wears shoes, because the added weight will help you pedal on. A bit of oiling to take out the squeaks, and you've got yourself a decent pedal.

Keep in mind, the pedal is only as good as you make it.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sound Percussion double pedal review ($69.99 version)

Nice review Jordison. I've had this pedal too and I agree with everything you said. Also, it is a VERY flimsy pedal. Mine broke after 4 months. And yes, the slave pedal is very sloppy. Oiling the joints in the crossbar helps. Another tip for Joey, put a square of masking tape over the felt part of the beater. Trust me. You'll love it.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

I've had the same pedals for two weeks. Birthday present to myself. Haven't played out with them yet.
    Constinator25, What part(s) broke after 6 months? like to know- just in case-so I can revert to my old-school Speedking when the time comes!
    I am able to configure my main pedal to have the feel/response similar to my Speedking.Didn't think that would be possible considering the pedals work in opposite ways(compression vs tension springs.) I tried fitting the bigger, felt Speedking batter to it but the rod won't pass thru (I liked the extra weight of the bigger batters.)
    The slave pedal-well, almost matches the response. It takes a lot of tweaking of spring tension. Also, it needed some velcro on the baseboard to keep from pedaling across the room. $4 self-stick patches from Lowes and it's all good.
    The pedals over-all seem well built for $69. Heck, getting one pedal for $69 is good, but two?!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I've had the same pedals for two weeks. Birthday present to myself. Haven't played out with them yet.
    Constinator25, What part(s) broke after 6 months? like to know- just in case-so I can revert to my old-school Speedking when the time comes!
    I am able to configure my main pedal to have the feel/response similar to my Speedking.Didn't think that would be possible considering the pedals work in opposite ways(compression vs tension springs.) I tried fitting the bigger, felt Speedking batter to it but the rod won't pass thru (I liked the extra weight of the bigger batters.)
    The slave pedal-well, almost matches the response. It takes a lot of tweaking of spring tension. Also, it needed some velcro on the baseboard to keep from pedaling across the room. $4 self-stick patches from Lowes and it's all good.
    The pedals over-all seem well built for $69. Heck, getting one pedal for $69 is good, but two?!
    It was a good pedal while it lasted I'm not gonna lie. The joints in the cross arm broke after about 4 months. I sorta fixed it up and kept playing on it for another month before it became so sloppy I couldn't hold a steady rhythm. Also the joints the connect the bottom of the pedal to the footboard come loose and you end up being able to move the pedal side to side with your foot. Not a huge problem but it adds to the sloppyness of the pedal. Hate to be a raincloud here but if you play hard like me it'll probably happen.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-SP Hardware
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll play softer until I can afford better!

User Info Menu

anyone know of any differences between the $70 and the $100, besides the drop clutch?
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    anyone know of any differences between the $70 and the $100, besides the drop clutch?
    Never played the $100 one... sry.

-SP Hardware
    -PST5 Cymbals

User Info Menu

Thumbs down Re: Sound Percussion double pedal review ($69.99 version)

After 3 months I see the problems with these pedals:
    1. I have now developed lateral movement (side-to-side) of about 1/2" so the single chain does not remain centered in the guide.
    2. the chain is "biting" into the footboard pivot point(above the connecting rivet) so pivot longevity is in question.
    3. Quick up and down toe movement results in the chain "hanging" and so the foot board "shivers" side to side but doesn't pull the chain.
    I don't believe there're any adjustments to make to cure these ills.
    Switching over to my SpeedKing for testing really showed the "slop" in the chain system(not present with the direct drive of the SpeedKing.)
    My old SpeedKing also shows lateral movement but seems to not affect the direct drive's up and down motion to the extent that it does the chain system.
    My question would be: do more expensive double-chained, double pedals have the same wear point and lateral movement problems?
    Thanks, in advance.

User Info Menu

It's been 6 months, I still don't have any problems with mine. Guess i'm due for some...

Check it.

User Info Menu

Heyy jordison, have you played the PDP 402? If so how would you compare it to the SP?
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

jordison515,
    You're lucky! I've been thru 2 springs already(two needle-nosed piers saved me.)
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Heyy jordison, have you played the PDP 402? If so how would you compare it to the SP?
    Matt, i've played the 402, and it's not much better. Comparing the two is like comparing the original song to a carbon-copy cover, you can't really tell the difference. From what everyone else says, their pedals broke easier, so i'd say go for the 402s, but i'd also suggest save $50 more and get the 502s, with double chain, stabilizers, etc.

Slinglander-Keepin' my fingers crossed! I play with my springs loose for more power, so that might just be the thing that keeps it from breaking! Hopefully I just got a good one

Check it.

User Info Menu

Thanks jordison i have the 402, i was just interested as to the differences.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Ok I just bought the sp pedals, and I cant move the cam on the left side backwards (as in, rolling it backwards on the rotor)
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

User Info Menu

The 402 is the worst brand name pedal Ive ever played.

-SP Hardware
    -PST5 Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post

I played with a Speed King for over 50 years. Last year out of boredom, I bought a Axis and a DW9000. Couldn't get the Axis anywhere near where I wanted it. The 9000 gets close, but not quite where I want it. I think they have too many adjustments on it.

Wound up buying a Iron Cobra (single and double), I use the Cobra most of the time, it's real close, but still not quite there.

The Axis I gave to a friend and told them to see if they could work a trade for a Iron Cobra (which they did). The 9000 sits on the floor most of the time.

The thing that ticks me off the most, is that I completely lost the feel for the Speed King. So if you mess with other pedals, throw the Speed King on a couple times a week to keep your feel for it. I wish I had done that. I put it on my set now and it just feels so different that I can't do anything with it.