Thread: Help with the basics... (newbie)

User Info Menu

Default Help with the basics... (newbie)

As I posted on the other forum (thanks- told me they're old Pearls, maybe Exports- pics below) I picked these up cheap and am thinking of building a practice set.
    I'm going to get the Turtle Wax chrome stuff and clean them as I go. They have Remo stripes, Weatherking Batter, they seem loose...
    What's a decent head to put on these? Should one change the bottom as well? Is the top the same exact thing as the top? ANy suggested source for getting heads? ...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help with the basics... (newbie)

Welcome to Drum Chat, DD.

That kit looks like my resurrection kit I'm restoring.

Mine was CB. The shells and hardware look just like mine. I found it was much easier to remove all the hardware from the shells. In your case it will be much easier to clean the wrap without hardware in the way. Plus it's easier to clean the hardware, too. You will also uncover any loose screws.

Safe bet for heads, buy a pre-made package. Usually you can choose standard (12" 13" 16") or fusion (10" 12" 14" or 16") and save a few bucks. I usually purchase on line from any E-tailer.

Definitely replace both heads on each drum.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

If it's going to be a backup/practice kit, I'd throw pinstripes or hydraulics, or some other 2 ply muffled head in whatever flavor you like. You can get pinstripes to last a long time. And some clear single ply heads for the bottoms. SuperKick II FTW on the bass drum.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. As you can see in the pic, theres a pinstipe on the ground that was on the 16" floor tom, how do I know its bad? Or just best to replace...?

User Info Menu

Yeah they look like old Export with Poplar shells. Any tags anywhere on them to indicate that they are truly Exports.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumDave View Post
    Thanks guys. As you can see in the pic, theres a pinstipe on the ground that was on the 16" floor tom, how do I know its bad? Or just best to replace...?
    The head doesn't look to be in bad shape from what I can tell in the pic. If this is just a practice kit, I'd keep the 16" Pinstripe that you have unless it's pretty much beat up and dented in from use. If not, save some money to put towards replacing the other heads that are needed.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Oh...Welcome to DC. Glad to have Ya!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, so far so good. I bought an old tom to have 2 and the tom arm I got was too big. Apparently the tom arm that works is 3/4", not 7/8 like most seem to be. Any suggestions on where I could find one of these?

User Info Menu

Every drum store/music store and drum parts supplier sells them, just make sure you check the specs stating they're 3/4".You'll also need the same sized tom mount bracket.
    Last edited by slinglander; 12-05-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

They're not Exports, apparently some cheaper brand that used Export lugs, oh well. I guess they'll work for learning.

User Info Menu

If they're not Pearl Exports (if they are, then they would definitely use 7/8" piping for tom arms) then, apart from seeing the Sonor logo on the bass drum, they may be an earlier model Sonor Force (one that pre-dated the Sonor 2001 and 3001). From memory of seeing one up front, whilst most other Sonor lines had typically Sonor hardware, the Force series had "Pearl-copied" tom holders (I'll have to have a look through back issues of Modern Drummer here and scan and upload, but I'm sure I can remember those tom holders being very different from a Sonor kit that I've seen before). Some manufacturers do this, because, just like in the car industry, if you have a part that needs replacing that is unique only to that brand, then the customer has no choice but to purchase that brand's replacement part.

Thing is, this version of the Sonor Force is a discontinued line, and I think it will be a long shot getting a replacement 3/4" tom holder....the Sonor site doesn't list it anymore as far as I can see. Like Slingerlander said, every store stocks tom mounts etc. If say, on the off-chance, you cannot get a 3/4" tom holder from Pearl and you have to have a Pearl tom block and bass drum block fitted (so that the tom holder piping can fit into both).... do you know much on woodworking and how to use a hole-saw to "expand" the diameter of the hole of the shell? You (or someone you can trust with this) need to do this before you add the new tom blocks....I had done this with an old Maxwin/Pearl 18" bass drum so that I can put in a Ludwig "Modular" tom holder which uses 1 inch piping (1/8" bigger than the generic Pearl tom piping) as I sometimes use this kick with Ludwig or Rogers toms, which all have 1 inch holes in the tom receivers. So that's what you might have to have done, a Pearl tom mount conversion....ask if there is anyone at the drum shop that can do that for you, as drilling holes in wood plies is not for the beginner.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8