Thread: Adding Drums (Recording a Drumset) to Songs (Audio Files) Sent over the Net

User Info Menu

Question Adding Drums (Recording a Drumset) to Songs (Audio Files) Sent over the Net

Hey Drumheads:

This is my 1st post on Drum Chat, so hear goes. What I would like to do is, once I receive songs sent to me over the net without drumtracks, add my drumtrack to the song. I imagine the files will come in either mp3 or wma formats, possible wav (my bud & I haven't started this process yet-looking for the best way that works for both of us). I have an iMac with Garage Band, but it's not located close to my drum room. I also have a 1st generation iPod touch. Ideally, I want some type of device, where I can be listening to the song without the drumtrack, & be playing along at the same time, so I can record myself & add that track to that song. My goal is to do this the most cost effective way, but that will yield good results sonically.

So I looking for options from people who have done this. I know 1 option is to have a laptop with the proper software (& of course a mic/or mics), in the same room with me. Are there any iPod options? I think, based upon reading some other online forums, that the Blue Mikey mic will work with the 1st generation iPods. There are also portable digital recorders, like the Olympus LS-10, Sony PLM-D50, Tascam GT-R1, Yamaha Pocketrak 2G & Zoom's H2 & H4. Any other options? But remember, I need to listen to the song at the same time I'm recording it. Then, once I have my track added to the song, I would send the augmented file back, where he could mix it as desired.

So that's it. I'm new at this home recording thing, so any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Adding Drums (Recording a Drumset) to Songs (Audio Files) Sent over the Net

Well, I don't know much about using an ipod but my bro sends over stem tracks with in wav format which I drop into my pro tools rig. I then set a click track and go. When done I will email the tracks over to my brother who is a studio engineer and viola awesome sounding drums.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Adding Drums (Recording a Drumset) to Songs (Audio Files) Sent over the Net

Hey nucjd, thanks for the reply. I'm guessing you have a computer for your pro tools rig. I imagine having a music software package like pro tools (or equivalent) on a system is probably one of the best setups you can have, but probably out of my price range. Ideally, I'm looking for something where I don't have to buy another computer. My iMac is not close to my drumset. I would just like to get some type of recording device (where I'm also listening to the song) where I could add the track, transfer to my iMac (maybe Garage Band or?), and edit &/or send it from there. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

you just need acoustica mp3 audio mixer software in your laptop
    add the track (without drums)
    then record the drums part
    i just posted my sample recording work
    you can check out my post

User Info Menu

I just had a chance to listen to your recording (the link was going through at work). Sounds pretty clear. Not bad.

But I'm trying to accomplish my goal without buying a laptop. Maybe, either getting a laptop, or a portable digital recorder, are the only ways. I just wanted to check out there, to see if someone knew of another method. Thanks.

User Info Menu

do you have a desktop computer?
    maybe you can setup your desktop in your drum room
    near your drumset
    with the help of extension wire
    (if the power source is too far away)

User Info Menu

To do it cheap you need a few things:

1)- mixer (analog mixer with RCA inputs and outputs)
    2) -Drum mic(s)
    3)- playback source with RCA outs, stereo CD player will work, rip the track and burn to CD and play it out of stereo (for track without drums)
    4)- record source (ipod with 3.5 line-in) to record drums with track

Pathway:

XLR Drum mic(s) to XLR mic input(s) on mixer> Yellow box
    Playback source (RCA output) to RCA input to mixer (monitor only) > Magenta box
    RCA out of mixer to ipod record line-input (RCA male to 3.5 male) Red box

You can adjust the mix as you listen to the playback recorded on the ipod and deem what needs to be adjusted (i.e drums too loud, drop the mic level, playback too loud, drop the playback source at the mixer.

RCA male to 3.5 male for recording device:

Only time the PC is needed is to download the completed audio from your record source (ipod) to send to your bandmates via internet.

No software is needed if you don't add any plug-ins from a DAW (digital audio workstation on PC or laptop)

I hope this helps???

cheers,
    late8

User Info Menu

Hey late8, thanks for the reply! This looks like it should work! All I should need to get is a mixer, and any necessary hookup cables. I have mic cords & a few mics, & of course a stereo with a cd player.

I just have to make sure that the 1st generation ipod I have can record audio. From what I've read on online forums, for this ipod, you have to go through the dock connector on the bottem (can't use the phone jack). That might be the only tricky part, finding a cable from mixer to ipod.

Let me ask you about mixer recommendations. The mixer in your picture (btw, thanks much for the pictures!) is a Peavey XR8600. It would make sense to get a powered mixer. Any recommendations for someone like me starting out? Maybe something on the small side (no more then 8 channels - probably won't use all 8) that's reasonable, but does a good job. Maybe I should consider a mixer a little better then my needs, for both gigging purposes, and also if I start to upgrade my recording process. Also, don't some (powered?) mixers have recording capabilities on them? Maybe that's big bucks?

More questions, I know. But you've got me going in the right direction. Thanks a million!

User Info Menu

Hi idrum! You're very welcome! The reason I chose the Peavey XR8600 is because of price, durability (Peavey Co. been around for a long time) and the ability to power FOH (Front of House) speakers and monitors with 600 watts each and the fact that I can utilize the PA head to provide a small size band with a decent amount of punch if vocal mics are needed.

Having 8 XLR channels allows me to mic my 5pc. gig kit as a sub-mix and feed a 1/4" line out to a main mixing board if the sound guy wants to simply things.

But what sealed the deal with me was the RCA (consumer type in and out) stereo jacks that can be used to get signal to and from the PA head using CD player, Ipod, and any other types of gear that can accomidate consumer oriented gear.

With the RCA to 3.5 cable allows me to use my Roland Edirol 2 channel digital field recorder to take audio straight from the PA head with all 8 channels "mixed" and fed directly into the digital recorder to transfer the audio files to a PC or laptop to edit, enhance and for final rendering.

This is a raw audio board feed from a garage jam. The source is from my PA head RCA output directly into the Roland recorder as indicated by the pathway graphic. No plug-ins. It's just a stereo mix of drums and guitar unrehearsed, unedited and mixed by me going back and forth from PA head to recorder to see where the levels and the raw mix was at the time:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dMMXJvNBec"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dMMXJvNBec[/ame]
    Last edited by late8; 12-14-2010 at 04:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey late8, thanks again, especially for the diagram & the audio sample! Your response makes a lot of sense. I like the fact that you can you the mixer for multiple uses. Would I be correct in guessing if you had a music software program like Pro-Tools (or equivalent) on a laptop, you could record directly into that, from the board? How do you like the Roland Edirol 2? There are many digital recorders out there. How did you come to pick the Roland?

BTW, your recording sounds pretty good, considering it's a raw mix. Thanks for all your help!

User Info Menu

FYI, If you are going to use pro tools it HAS to be PT 9. Any older version(i.e. 8) requires digi/ avid hardware to run. Pro Tools 9 only requires an ilok.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by idrumhead View Post
    Hey late8, thanks again, especially for the diagram & the audio sample! Your response makes a lot of sense. I like the fact that you can you the mixer for multiple uses. Would I be correct in guessing if you had a music software program like Pro-Tools (or equivalent) on a laptop, you could record directly into that, from the board? How do you like the Roland Edirol 2? There are many digital recorders out there. How did you come to pick the Roland?

BTW, your recording sounds pretty good, considering it's a raw mix. Thanks for all your help!
    You're quite welcome! The Roland Edirol 2 channel digital field recorder was bought for specific purpose of recording what a live mix would sound like straight from the mixer/PA head. I use the recorded material as a "baseline" measure to hear what the FOH speakers are fed and to make adjustments during band rehearsal for volume control, to measure my dyanamics along with the rest of the instruments and to hear how balanced the vocals are compared to the overall volume of the band. Since my budget only allowed so much for PA gear, monitors, cables, mics, and mic stands, the recorder was an afterthought since I had no means of recording anything for the band.

If I were to invest further, I'd probably go the easiest and the least costly route by buying a mixer that is USB capable and invest more dollars in software that will handle multitrack recording but that's a line I haven't and won't cross for some time. I have no controlled environment such as a sound proof studio, my mics are limited in scope, and I have nobody else to help me in regards to engineering the mix during play.

The audio clip was recorded with me running back and forth between the recorder, PA head and my drums. This is very frustrating to say the least since there is no way I can mix on the fly during a perfomance.

Having worked in TV broadcasting for 30+ years, I know the amount of "warm" bodies needed on the techincal side of any recorded product including demo reels for bands to make it sound the best possible.

I call what I'm doing in the garage as "commando" style "run and gun" recording. Hence the raw and rough edges of the audio.

As a hobbyist drummer, my focus has been garage jams, and in some cases, a gig at a park, or private party. This I can handle. My 8 channel PA head can serve as a mixer for vocal mics, it can feed the speakers with enough wattage for a small club, or hall and I can easily use the entire 8 channels for myself and "feed" a sound guy a sub-mix of my 5pc kit.

As far as the Roland Edirol's role, it's been primarily used to record practice and gigs for personal use in critique of performance and a measure for judging overall band mix for gigs.

Thanks again for the compliments and please feel free to ask more questions if you need further clarification.

late8

User Info Menu

I like the "run & gun" recording phrase. Sounds like that's kind of what I'll be doing by using your recommended method, once I get that far.

You've talk about eventually going to a mixer with USB capabilities. There are USB to RCA cables. Wouldn't something like that work for the scenario you mention, even giving the mixer more options & flexibility?

If I may take you up on your offer & even get more greedy with the questions, why did you choose the Roland over other digital recorders out there? There's quite a few on the market.

Again, thanks for all of all help. You've really sent me in the right direction.

BTW, nucjd, thanks for the heads up on the Pro Tools version.

User Info Menu

Yes, there is a USB to RCA:

But regardless of what cable attachment, I'm only sending the sum of the 8 channels down the USB cord to the computer via the stereo RCA outputs. For me it's easier carry a pocket size recorder that to have a laptop or PC near by.

If I wanted to have 8 separate tracks from a mixer feeding 8 separate tracks in a DAW (digital work station), then I must have the capability to send those 8 tracks separately via a USB mixer like these below:

Plus my computer would need to have a USB sound card with inputs to receive the separate channels from the USB mixer. Plus the software (i.e ProTools) and drivers to handle the upgrade. This was the step I mentioned that I would need to revisit if I had a controlled environment to record in.

The reason I chose the Roland Edirol 2 channel field recorder over the many others out on the market was simply price, the simplistic layout of the recorder and it came with a trial version of CakeWalk's Audio Creator (Pyro) DAW for simple editing and plug in compression and Para EQ features.

It was a pleasure meeting you and please feel free without hesitation to ask further questions. I'm very limited to my knowledge of computer interfaces since most of my recordings have been analog to digital or (A-D). The more advanced recording scenerios would be digital to digital and mastered digitally or (D-D-D).
    Last edited by late8; 12-22-2010 at 12:44 PM.

User Info Menu

I've Skyped wave files.

User Info Menu

Thanks again, late8, for a detailed response. Sorry it took so long to respond - been busy with a lot of holiday stuff.

Your "limited knowledge" of audio recording is vastly superior to mine, but I suppose audio recording is like drumming, where there is almost an unlimited amount of knowledge to learn. The more you learn, the more you realize there is to learn! Again, thank you for all of your responses!

User Info Menu

I do what you're aiming to do,
    I've got myself a Tascam US-1641 interface
    These:

I use Cubase 5 on my computer, I can add the track to Cubase and then when I hit record (Using the xlr inputs) I can hear the track through the headphone input while monitoring my own inputs and recording alongside it. Afterwards, I can then go back and level the drums and eq them all I like AND seperately between each drum. I'm still waiting on the arrival of my rim clips for the drum mics but with just one overhead mic this is what I achieved:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl2Apr8XJ9I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl2Apr8XJ9I[/ame]
    (Excuse the bad drumming xD )

Admittedly it's not the most cost effective at around £300. But you can do it cheaper with a cheaper interface and this way I get studio standard recordings with the right mics etc.

Hope this helps

User Info Menu

hey if your using an imac cant you just move it into your drumming room then get a usb or firewire interface to record with ive got my macbook pro running a m-audio 2626 firewire currently going into garageband until my protools 9 comes :D and record that way :D its also good for live recordings of the full band as each channel records to a separate track :D so it can be mixed

oh yeah if your looking for USB mixers get USB 2.0 so you get the separate tracks dont make my mistake of getting a USB 1 as then you can only record stereo and have hardly no control once the tracks are recorded

:D
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. But it looks like both of you have computers in your drum room.

Turnitdown, I take it your computer is in your drum room along with your Tascam. You're not running the signal from your interface to another room where your computer is, are you?

And Sheoth, with my situation, I can't move my iMac to my drum room, no way.

That's why I need to do this without a computer in the same room. Thanks for your ideas.

User Info Menu

Here's an actual pic of the pathway I drew out in a post above:

Red pathway-To input: CD Player as playback source mixed with drum mics

Yellow pathway- Record Out of PA head (RCA stereo out) to Line in on recorder.

Drum mic set up:

Last edited by late8; 01-04-2011 at 12:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by idrumhead View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the responses. But it looks like both of you have computers in your drum room.

Turnitdown, I take it your computer is in your drum room along with your Tascam. You're not running the signal from your interface to another room where your computer is, are you?

And Sheoth, with my situation, I can't move my iMac to my drum room, no way.

That's why I need to do this without a computer in the same room. Thanks for your ideas.
    Ah I see.
    yeah, my laptop sits on top of the interface. It's just a usb connection so theoretically you could run the usb into a separate room. But that's highly inconvenient as you would have to start record in the other room and then run into the drum room.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help