Thread: high end drumset dicsussion / comparison

User Info Menu

Default high end drumset dicsussion / comparison

you get it by now....discuss high end pro level drums by any brand...ect.

User Info Menu

i'll start. what makes a pro kit cost so much more than a mid level kit if they are both made of maple?
    discuss,

User Info Menu

Here's my take:
    You have two companys that each have maple wood to make a drumset. One is going to make drumset that retails for $500 and the other company's drumset will retail for $5000. I think you see where I'm going with this.

Each company has to make a profit. The "only" way company 1 is going to make money is by cutting corners. Therefore, they cut corners with regard to quality of surrounding workmanship and material...i.e. how it's put together, what type of metal they use, what type of glue, how it seams, type of laminate, etc. There are many factors. We can't possibly know them all.

User Info Menu

I've only bought one high end kit. After my son had been playing for about a year, His mother and I could see that he had tallent and was very dedicated. We wanted to get him a nicer kit than the one he had (Pearl Forum) to help inspire him in his music. We were blessed to have gotten a windfall two years ago at Christmas and bought him a DW, seven piece fusion kit. It was listed as used but had never been played. The guy who had ordered it didn't like the color and sent it back, so it was marked down $1000. It's fabulously beautiful and sounds amazing. It's truely a professional quality kit. In fact, it's better than the kit many professionals play. $4,000 was a lot to pay for a shell pack, but as an investment and heirloom that will be kept for generations, I think it was worth the money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Here's my take:
    You have two companys that each have maple wood to make a drumset. One is going to make drumset that retails for $500 and the other company's drumset will retail for $5000. I think you see where I'm going with this.

Each company has to make a profit. The "only" way company 1 is going to make money is by cutting corners. Therefore, they cut corners with regard to quality of surrounding workmanship and material...i.e. how it's put together, what type of metal they use, what type of glue, how it seams, type of laminate, etc. There are many factors. We can't possibly know them all.
    in my opinion correct. its mostly in the features. some of the common difs are hoops. most high end kits will feature die cast 2.3 mm flanged hoops with cheeper kits using thin oop that will bend after alot of abuse.
    also companies like pearl use 2 dif. grades of maple on thier kits. the best maple is reserved for masters and masterworks kits, and the rest goes to the session and now export ecx.

User Info Menu

Good point, Funkster.....all maple is not created equal. Also, on the high-end kits, the manufacturers take the extra time and effort to match the grain of all the drums in the same direction, make sure all the drums in the kit basically look the same, etc.

(WHEW!! Man, I did it, without even mentioning DW!! I'm actually quite proud of myself.)
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Lol, wow, a 7 piece for 1000 bucks, on DW? Dang, double bass/4 toms or 5 toms?

I was looking at DW ktis on ebay, the only problem with them is, once you buy the kit, you cant really add on, since their all custom made, can you?

User Info Menu

if dw is like pearl and thier masterworks kit all dw kits are custom and are prolly on record for things like paint codes and such. thus allowing you to add on in the future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz

I was looking at DW ktis on ebay, the only problem with them is, once you buy the kit, you cant really add on, since their all custom made, can you?
    No, they were $4,000, not $1,000. They were origionally $5,000, marked down to $4,000. Oh, I have to correct myself, it was a six piece, no snare. He uses a Pork Pie snare.

User Info Menu

Wow, lucky kid

User Info Menu

These guys also make some very fine stuff.

http://www.porkpiedrums.com/html/drumsets.html

User Info Menu

Ive heard good stuff about their snares, never seen their drumsets anywhere

What a weird name, pork pie XD

User Info Menu

A pork pie is a hat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz

DW can make add-on toms for you, however, you would need to send them one of your toms so they could grain match, color match, and timbre match the new tom(s) to your existing kit.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.