Thread: Mahogany Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Mahogany Drums Discussion

Recently, i've been very curious about a different less common wood called Mahogany. I heard a few sound clips of it and was instantly attracted to the sound, I feel it may be the sound for me. I fell in love with it, even though I like a lot of different sounds this one kind of struck me as special.

Yes, I know it's kind of obvious when you see that the thread title is Mahogany drums. In any event, I would like to learn from anyone who has any information on them, and also get opinions/comments/feedback/suggestions from others who might not. Anything Mahogany, please discuss! I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Edit: Do try to exclude links to commercial sites or videos though.
    Last edited by Russ; 12-03-2010 at 09:06 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mahogany Drums Discussion

Real Mahogany is amazing. It does really well in the low end and has incredible warmth. There is also Philippine Mahogany, which isn't really mahogany. It's just a trade name. The real stuff is going to cost you. Pearl offers it in their Flagship line. DW offers Poplar/Mahogany "vintage shells". C&C custom will also do mahogany. If you are a DIY'er you can order the Mahogany/poplar shell from a keller distributor. You will save big if you can do the work yourself.
    Bunch of Youtube stuff
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Pearl Masterworks is offered with All African Mahogany shells.

Look
    Last edited by drummer; 12-03-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Commercial Link
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

I had a 16" mahogony floor tom and loved loved loved it. Great low end with planty of punch. A mismatch, but my favorite tom on the kit.
    The local shop has a Pearl 13 x 9 Mahogony snare that sounds amazing. I have been playing it for about a year now when I go to shop and just marvel at the tone and sensitivity of such a deep snare. The drum guy insists that the real African mahogony used in the shell is the key.
    (I am asking Santa to bring it for me this year. I'm not holding my breath though ($359), times being what they are.)
    As for the DIY approach, it's not very hard to finish and assemble a drum at all. I am an idiot with tools and I was able to re-condition my old kit, which involves alot of the same work. You just won't have to bother sanding off any old glue or finish to get started.
    I say go for it!! Then post pics so we can live vicareously!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Ironically that's around how much it would cost to make the one I was considering(african mahogany with re-rings, almost as pricey as acrylic shells!). Not sure how I would set up such a deep snare, my stand doesn't really go that low. Are mahogany drums better in hyperdrive sizes because of their natural tonal characteristics? What kind of heads are you supposed to use on them?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I would thiink that mahogony would perform well as shell material in any size.
    There is never a "shoud use" when it comes to head choice. It all depends on what your ear wants out of a drum. Experimenting with heads is a big part of finding your sound. I love trying different heads.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

To each his own, but you can't do much better for a snare then an old mahogany Ludwig Colisium snare. They'll play as easily as soft as they will loud, sound exceptional but they are rare. It's also a standard snare in many studios. The Colisium was replaced by the Black Magic. For entire kits, I really don't know much about mahogany other then it's not one of the popular woods for drums today.