Thread: Alot of Questions...

User Info Menu

Default Alot of Questions...

I figured i just post all of my questions in the one thread instead of making about 10-12 different threads all over the forums. Anyway I found this forum a couple days ago and I have to say it is completely amazing. Its helped me alot already, I come from a SMALL 1100(pop.) town that there are only 2 drummers, above the age of 16 that i know of me and one of my friends so I don't get a whole lot of teaching on my part so I only know what I've discovered on my own or off the internet watching videos or listening to songs. I'm in a band with my dad and a couple other guys from nearby towns so I'm not a complete rookie when it comes to playing drums we play all over and even played at the Ill state fair back in the summer(I live in southern Ill), I have a Tama Rockstar series set 4 toms 8", 10", 12", 16". 3 cymbals zildjian zbt rock pack, hi-hat, crash, crash\ride, ride. And the only lessons I've ever had is when i was 9 for a half hr every sat. for one summer. Anyway that pretty much sums up about me and what I have so on to my questions.

1. I like playing older rock/southern rock, alternative, metal what would be the best heads for me to get, I like the lower sound without alot of resonance but not being completely dead. Ive heard alot about the EC1,2 g1,g2, hydrolic heads, or Remo pinstripes. I know I want Evans or Remo just not sure which head....
    2. what are all of the little tuning songs you guys know I've been trying to find them but only have came up with a couple.
    3.what is a rudiment?
    4. I smack the rims alot on my toms when I'm trying to do like a REALLY fast drum roll down them, they are facing at me I just seem to be able to hit the 1/8 inch thick rim instead of the whole head...is that just me needing to work at it more or is there a trick to setting them up to where I wont do that?
    5.how do you guys I suggest tuning my toms batt/reso? Batter higher? or reso higher? or the same for the sound I said I wanted above?
    I know its a couple questions for one thread and alot of info that will be needed but hopefully you guys can help me figure something out, this will probably be my only helping guide since I'm on my own here in my town.
    Thanks guys,
    Shawn

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alot of Questions...

Hi Shawn, and welcome to Drum Chat!

I'll tackle the first question. Given the styles you play and the lower tuning without a lot of overtones that you like, I would go for an Evans EC2 batter hear. It would give you a head that could handle a little punishment and give you the overtone control you want. Pair that batter with an Evans G1 resonant head and you should have what you want.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

As PB said, welcome.

I will agree that EC2's on your toms will give you what you are looking for.

2-look up drum tuning bible on google and study up.

3-A rudiment is the different strokes and patterns drummers learn. Basics pretty much.

4-it may be you, or you could try angling your toms either less or more, depending on what kind of angle they are already at.

5-I refer you again to the drum tuning bible.

Hope i helped.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    as pb said, welcome.

I will agree that ec2's on your toms will give you what you are looking for.

3-a rudiment is the different strokes and patterns drummers learn. Basics pretty much.

4-it may be you, or you could try angling your toms either less or more, depending on what kind of angle they are already at.

5-i refer you again to the drum tuning bible.

Hope i helped.
    +1
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    As PB said, welcome.

I will agree that EC2's on your toms will give you what you are looking for.

3-A rudiment is the different strokes and patterns drummers learn. Basics pretty much.

5-I refer you again to the drum tuning bible.

Hope i helped.
    +2

For help with tuning you could also look at Bob Gatzen's Youtube videos, they are really helpful.
    Matt

User Info Menu

+3 on checking the angle of your toms. Also your throne height should allow you to reach the centers of the toms. Adjust according to your reach and pedal comfort.

Don't forget to listen to your kit from the front not the throne for final adjustments-let somebody bang away on each tom, etc. before you're satisfied with the tuning. Too many drummers think that "flat" recorded kit sound is their target.Uh-uh, that's the recording engineer's idea! Check some threads here about ringing vs sustain, too.

Rudiments can help you keep better time and introduce you to a multitude of fill ideas that "just, plain, rolls" never will, so get to know about a 1/2 dozen besides the rolls:
    paradiddles and their cousins, the double and triple versions, flams, triplets, and accents in the rolls all over the kit. Example: end a roll on the snare with a flam on the kick and vice-versa.The other 3 dozen-not so much.

I'll shut up now...
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

wow thanks guys, ive been trying to find out what head to use with what and tuning and everything, i posted this this morning i come back with all the answers i need. although i did think of another question...does anyone ever get ganglion cyst's from playing drums alot? because i do but ill bust them and they will stay gone till i play alot again....pain in the !@# also makes it hard to bend your wrist.

User Info Menu

For tuning, I always like tuning the resonant head higher than the tom. Seems to help with projection. But the important thing is to make sure the head is in tune with itself. Which takes time and practice.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 92tamadrummer View Post
    wow thanks guys, ive been trying to find out what head to use with what and tuning and everything, i posted this this morning i come back with all the answers i need. although i did think of another question...does anyone ever get ganglion cyst's from playing drums alot? because i do but ill bust them and they will stay gone till i play alot again....pain in the !@# also makes it hard to bend your wrist.
    92TD, if you don't want them to recur, go and have it removed next time instead of busting it. Cysts have a lining that will heal after it is busted and it drains. Once it fills with fluid again, you are back to square one. Removing the cyst, lining and all, will end the cycle.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yeah I agree with PB. Unless you remove the cyst wall, it will fester and fill back up with fluid. You'll need to get it lanced and the cyst wall cut out.

I had several removed.

User Info Menu

There are many places where you can find out about rudiments. Here's my favorite:

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php

I think of them as the building blocks that you combine to form patterns.
    Not young enough to know everything

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well, if you've ever heard me play the drums, you might think that I'm appropriating them for some purpose other than their original design!

User Info Menu

yea I've had other people tell me that they have had cysts like that removed and they came back anyway...does anyone know what causes them? and thanks for the rudiment chart i probably know them all or a good part of em, just don't know what they are called, but it will help, i'm also thinking of getting a double pedal, but i doubt ill be able to spend over 100 if so not to much over...what do you guys suggest i know its not alot and probably wont be the best but just something for me to use before i go out and buy a good one.