Thread: Any ideas for a new crash?

User Info Menu

Default Any ideas for a new crash?

Hi guys

At the minute i have 14" avedis quick beat Hihats, 18" a custom fast crash and a 20" a custom projection ride but i really want another crash for a bit more variety. So any idea for a crash that would suit the rest of my cymbals? I was thinking either a 17/19 a custom projection crash or k custom crash of some sort but im worried the dark sounding k's wont sound right with the bright a customs, any thoughts?

Thanks mapexbob

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any ideas for a new crash?

What type of music do you play? I would go with a cymbal that has more sustain and is darker than the 18" that way you can use the 18" for that faster bright accents and then the darker one for riding, but thats JMO.

And you never know what sounds weird with your other cymbals until you try them out! Go to your preferred drum shop and see if they have the cymbals there that you already own and compare the ones your looking at to those
    The drums!
    Tama Starclassic Birch 5 piece
    14x6.5 Brass Pork Pie big black snare
    12",14" DDrum Deccabons
    Batter- Aquarian Response 2 coated
    Reso- Aquarian Classic Coated

The Cymbals!
    17" Paiste 2002 Wild Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Power Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    14" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi hats
    10" Wuhan Splash
    16" Wuhan China

User Info Menu

Id go for a 16" a custom to blend with the other cymbals. Use the 16 for brighter accents and the 18 for riding.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

MB, I have 14" Sabian Vault hi-hats, an 18" A Custom Fast Crash, a 16" A Custom Crash, and a 20" Sabian AAX Studio Ride, among a few others. I would recommend, as tah said, the 16" A Custom Crash as a next logical Crash cymbal. Of course that it just a recommendation, so take your other cymbals with you to a music store, if you can, and check out how they sound together. Also, remember that cast cymbals do not all sound exactly the same within a series, so audition a few before you decide one way or the other.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

+1 on what Pastor Bob said. Take your entire line up and head for the nearest cymbal vault and set them side by side and match them sonically. This is why I buy all my cymbals locally. My last three AAX cymbals were matched up starting with my hats and a 16" studio crash. I found an 18" AAX dark crash matched well with a 20" AAX stage ride which made my entire AAX cymbal line up complete.

User Info Menu

I have the 17"K custom dark crash,definitely one of my go to crashes,give that one a wack at the music store,mine is about 10yrs old,i love it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    id go for a 16" a custom to blend with the other cymbals. Use the 16 for brighter accents and the 18 for riding.
    +1
    Matt

User Info Menu

The A Custom 19" Projection crash is loud and has a very long sustain. I prefer to use it as a ride. Good bell and you dont to smash the hell out of it. How about just a standard 17" A custom?
    I Drum, therefore I am

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    The A Custom 19" Projection crash is loud and has a very long sustain. I prefer to use it as a ride. Good bell and you dont to smash the hell out of it. How about just a standard 17" A custom?
    Sounds good to me!
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bubingabill View Post
    I have the 17"K custom dark crash,definitely one of my go to crashes,give that one a wack at the music store,mine is about 10yrs old,i love it
    I got one too a couple months ago. It is a great crash! Glad to hear I'll be loving it ten years from now. There's that, and the 18" A Custom Fast Crash. I really like using it in single crash setups.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I kind of like the Zildjian 16 Pang, or maybe a Swish Knocker.
    Not young enough to know everything

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well, if you've ever heard me play the drums, you might think that I'm appropriating them for some purpose other than their original design!

User Info Menu

check out some Saluda's and see if they might work