Thread: Lugs

User Info Menu

Default Lugs

First question:
    My lugs have sort of a buildup on them. Due to my boredom today, I think I'll clean up my kit, check the heads and clean up the lugs. What should I use to clean them with? The buildup resembles something out of a CLR commercial, so would CLR be safe to use? Like if I fill up a bucket with CLR and let the lugs soak in it for a while, would that hurt anything? And if not, is there a certain ratio of water to CLR that I should be aware of and how long should I let them soak for?

Second question:
    Do different lugs increase or decrease rebound? Right now, I have the regular lugs my kit cam with and I don't get a lot of rebound unless I really crank up the tension. I really don't like the sound when they're tuned that high, so I end up losing a lot of rebound. If I were to change the lugs, would that give me more rebound? Side note: all my toms and kick drum have 6 lugs.

/edit:
    I don't need an answer to the first question anymore. Turns out some Windex and a paper towel work pretty well to make the lugs shiny again.
    Last edited by NoiseInMotion; 12-05-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lugs

I don't know about the lugs, but it's possible if there were more lugs you would get more tension. Also you might want to try new heads, if they are worn out you won't get very much bounce out of them.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

I checked the heads today during my tune up, they're all fine. They're marked up from use, but they aren't warped or strung out or anything. Regarding the number of lugs, I don't think that's something that can be changed. I mean, you can physically add more lugs, but considering how precise it all has to be, it doesn't seem practical. Or am I completely off base?
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China

Click here!

User Info Menu

What kind of hoops do you have? they would make a difference in the tension of the lugs if they are single flange hoops. As for the dirty lugs I think it would be safe to soak them in CLR cause the new stuff is more eco friendly. I have never heard of any build up on lugs other than maybe dust or a bit of dirt. Hope it is not rust then you may have a moisture problem. Are the hoops rusty or anything. Anyway hope this helped.

User Info Menu

Nah, it wasn't rust. It was some scale buildup of some sort. Like if you ran your fingers over the lugs, they felt gritty. But the windex took care of that.

I doubt my hoops are anything special. Keep in mind all the shells are completely generic. So they're probably the cheapest ones available.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Not to double post or anything, but is it possible to add lugs to a drum? I think I may have asked this before, but is it a possibility? Aside from the issues of previous holes and getting everything lined up PERFECTLY, is it something that could be done?
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Don't do it! I decided to add legs to 14" mounted tom, so only had to measure and align 3 floor tom leg mounts(drill 6 holes.) I was very careful but still just slightly off in my drilling which resulted in one slightly skewed tom leg mount. Doing that to a lug would make it worthless. Oh, yeah you would have to drill for ALL NEW lug placement and fill the old holes. Do yourself a favor: save up for a new kit instead...

User Info Menu

I know it's a real project, but my dad could probably do most of it with his eyes closed. He's a real whiz with these things. Considering I won't have the money for a new kit anytime soon and I need something better much sooner than I'll have the money, is it worth it to at least considerable?
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Nope, not worth it. You can't add lugs without filling all the old holes and drilling all new ones. Plus you'd need new hoops to line up with the new lugs, more tension rods. Now you need top and bottom for each drum. Even if that's just 3 toms that's tons of work and time and probably won't do anything for the sound. Not to mention it will cost you a couple hundred bucks most likely.

If you drums are really "bargain basement" why not look for something one step up for the same cost as trying "upgrade" yours? There are actually plenty of decent beginner kits (not low rent, just beginner) used for under $300. IMHO that would be a much better investment than doing anything with what you have now. Check ebay, CL, your local GC, etc...
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I've been checking and I've found some great deals. Here's the problem. I don't have a whole lot of money coming in. By the time I'd have enough for a kit and still have enough left over, It'll be next summer. A bigger part of this problem is that my dad thinks I'm completely out of my mind if I even think about spending any of my money. He doesn't even like me buying a train ticket for going to band practice. He wants me to put every bit of cash I have aside for a car that I have to buy next August. Also, when I finally do have enough money for a kit, I want to buy something above beginner level (regardless of what's going on with a car at the time). I know a brand name beginner kit will be much better quality than what I have, but I don't want to spend all this time looking for something only to end up with more entry level stuff. My philosophy is that if I'm going to do something, I want to do it right. There's no point in spending 2 years on a beginner kit only to buy another beginner kit just because it's got a brand name on the kick drum. So I've really gotta make this one work for me as best I can because I really have no clue when I'll have a combination of money and opportunity (not to mention my dad "allowing me" to spend money that I earned myself) to buy a better set.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

I understand your plight. I think you are underestimating some of the kits. You can certainly play a kit like Tama Rockstars or Pearl Forum/Exports for a long time to come until you could afford to step up. They are better than what you have, and not just because of the brand name. You also have to remember that you can probably get most of your money back on a brand name "entry level" used kit to put towards an upgrade later. So you'd be playing better drums without much cost to you.

And just to clarify, my point was that if you can't afford to upgrade to a $300 used kit, you can't afford to do the work you were talking about. Not to mention, if the shells are mediocre, there's not much you can do to improve the sound. So a used kit is a better investment.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I get what you're saying. But it really bothers me that I'm going to end up with more entry level stuff for that kind of money. If I'm going to spend a few hundred dollars on something, I want it to be something I'm not going to replace again. Granted, I know I could make most of the money back. But it's more looking around to find a deal on another kit and more dealing with Craigslist a-holes trying to sell whatever I end up with. I just don't see that it's worth all the effort for another stepping stone.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Lugs

OK, Noise, instead of worrying about the actual drums/shells improve the heads: a lot cheaper way to go.
    You mentioned the heads look fine but not the types of heads you have, top and bottom. They maybe so stressed/old they can't be tuned but still look good.
    Also you mentioned you want more bounce but tightening gives you a sound you don't like. You have an Acrolite snare, assuming that sounds good to you, so you just need tom heads.That'll keep the price down. Kick heads, batter and res, total $100, so stick with upgrading the toms only first.
    Check out ANY 2 ply, clear batter heads and one ply reso's, like Evans G2 over Genera, Remo's Emperor over Ambassador reso. You can get Gels to cut the ringing.
    Buy one set for your med. tom and prepare to tune slightly higher than your existing floor tom. Tune bottom, reso above point of wrinkles. Tune batter to your bounce-ability, usually higher/tighter than resonant, bottom head(they'll never have the same rebound as your snare.) Add gel piece to cut the ringing-don't muffle to the point of making the drum sound like a cardboard box when you hit it!
    If that works, buy heads for the rest of your toms.

Good luck and keep us posted!