Thread: A Newbie Question

User Info Menu

Default A Newbie Question

As being brand new to recording anything with drums...I have a couple silly questions...I had only two mics to record with on my drums right now. over the weekend (and they are just ordinary singing peavey mics),we messed around with locations and levels. It sounded ok, but not the greatest by a long shot. Any hints if you are using just 2 mics...what might be the best locations if you were only using 2 mics (I know more would be better!??? Would drum mics be better??? How close, etc. for starters??? THANKS!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: A Newbie Question

I am assuming you are in a standard size square room with no acoustic treatments. With that in mind, I would set them up in a an X-Y pattern. If you can imagine... both mics dead center on the kit at the same level with one mic pointed at the toms and the other mic pointed at the hihat. The mics make a 90 degree with each other ( the left mic points right and the right mic points left.) what this does is do away with overhead phasing. Now if you want a big drum sound position these mics closer to the floor. If you want a shimmery sound then place them higher in the room in front of the kit.

Here is a video of X-Y

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_IPYqN9Vk&feature=related"]YouTube - How to Record Drums - XY overhead technique[/ame]