Thread: Tom tom "padding"?

User Info Menu

Default Tom tom "padding"?

I wasn't quite sure of the proper term when it came to this. Basically, I was thinking earlier. Ever since replacing my stock tom tom drums with Mapex heads, I've had a much more "hollow" (I guess?) sound to them, to the point where they sound like complete garbage. The best way I can describe it is a base drum without anything inside of it to sort of muffle the sound.

My question is about whether or not most of you do that with your tom-toms as well or if I'm just tuning them incorrectly. I haven't tried putting any sort of padding in them yet. Figured I'd probably just tape some cloth to the bottom heads of each tom to help out. Not sure if that would work either though, to be honest.

Edit - Also, for a drummer that isn't in any sort of special band and really just jams with friends, are there any particular cymbal sets you guys would recommend? Money is only somewhat of an issue. Work keeps me well compensated for my time, so really just looking for a decent brand of cymbals. I currently am rocking a franken-set when it comes to those. I want to say I have 3 or 4 different brands spread across 6 cymbals.
    Last edited by Drummin; 12-07-2010 at 11:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom tom "padding"?

Drummin, it sounds like you might be looking for a drum head with built in overtone control - something like a Remo Pinstripe, or an Evans EC head. As to the cymbals, you might want to go with Zildjian A Customs if you want a more modern sound, or Zildjian A's if you want that Classic Rock sound. Aside from that, Sabian makes the Xs20 series that is a cheaper series with a really good sound, and is above all the entry level cymbals.

That's only a few recommendations, and I am sure others will give you other cymbals to think about.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Sorry Mark. Because of my status, I see them all, but I didn't see anything that indicated this post needed approval, and that's usually why the posts don't show. Can you see it now?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I recently played on a set with EVANS hydraulics. I can't imagine a more controlled sound, but definitely not for my taste.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummin View Post
    I wasn't quite sure of the proper term when it came to this. Basically, I was thinking earlier. Ever since replacing my stock tom tom drums with Mapex heads, I've had a much more "hollow" (I guess?) sound to them, to the point where they sound like complete garbage. The best way I can describe it is a base drum without anything inside of it to sort of muffle the sound.

My question is about whether or not most of you do that with your tom-toms as well or if I'm just tuning them incorrectly. I haven't tried putting any sort of padding in them yet. Figured I'd probably just tape some cloth to the bottom heads of each tom to help out. Not sure if that would work either though, to be honest.

Edit - Also, for a drummer that isn't in any sort of special band and really just jams with friends, are there any particular cymbal sets you guys would recommend? Money is only somewhat of an issue. Work keeps me well compensated for my time, so really just looking for a decent brand of cymbals. I currently am rocking a franken-set when it comes to those. I want to say I have 3 or 4 different brands spread across 6 cymbals.
    Try some Remo Coated Vintage Emperors on the toms. If it still has too much ring/hollow sound to you, then stick a pad of Moon Gel on them. By all means stay away from duct tape and putting crap inside your drums. Cymbals?? I'm a Paiste fan, and for the money you can't beat their Alpha series. Just my two cents.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummin View Post

I would guess you have them tuned too high.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Unab1OzU&playnext=1&list=PLA493DADCDF9F 98F8&index=21"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Unab1OzU&playnext=1&list=PLA493DADCDF9F 98F8&index=21[/ame]

User Info Menu

I agree, could be the tuning. You also could change to a higher quality head.

Mapex heads are not the greatest. I use Evans.

User Info Menu

Thanks, all. I'll write some of these down and run in town tomorrow to see what I can dig up from the local music shop as far as heads go. Cymbals are going to have wait since it's Christmas time and my money needs to be going elsewhere. Also, it very well may be the tom tuning. I'm garbage when it comes to tuning my drums.