Thread: Double Bass Pedal?

User Info Menu

Default Double Bass Pedal?

I just picked up the Yamaha DTXplorer a couple months ago, and love it.

But my leg gets tired pumping the kick drum. The set came with a Yamaha FP6110A pedal - anyone have any suggestions on how to set up a double bass pedal, what equipment to use, etc?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double Bass Pedal?

Don't know about the Yamaha, but the Roland kick pads support double pedals. I'm using a DW 5000 series.

A couple of suggestions about the kick. Check your alignment and throne height to see if there's something more comfortable/less tiring.
    Not young enough to know everything

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well, if you've ever heard me play the drums, you might think that I'm appropriating them for some purpose other than their original design!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StuSegal View Post
    I just picked up the Yamaha DTXplorer a couple months ago, and love it.

But my leg gets tired pumping the kick drum. The set came with a Yamaha FP6110A pedal - anyone have any suggestions on how to set up a double bass pedal, what equipment to use, etc?

Thanks.
    cut and paste from Yamaha DTXplorer Freq. Ask Question (FAQ):

Quote:

The KP65 pad features an input and output jack.

1. Connect the first KP65 to the module from the KP65 output jack.

2. Connect the second KP65 to the first KP65 via the output from the second pad to the input of the first pad.

End Quote-

From the looks of it, you might need 2x KP65s to have a legit double bass set up.

Or you can try triggering one pad with a double bass pedal like I did on my KP65 but the response from the second double pedal beater is inconsistant with some lantency issues when the double pedal is really doing fast BPM (beats per minute)

I had to angle the primary double bass beater in a bit to be able to trigger the KP65 bass drum pad with more consistant pedal strokes even though the pad CAN be used with a double pedal. The rocking back and forth from double pedal to the tower is also a concern for me.

Last edited by late8; 12-08-2010 at 02:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jajo View Post
    Check your alignment and throne height to see if there's something more comfortable/less tiring.
    Yeah, I've been messing with the throne height - I'm convinced I haven't got it right yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

The KP65 pad features an input and output jack. From the looks of it, you might need 2x KP65s to have a legit double bass set up.

Or you can try triggering one pad with a double bass pedal like I did on my KP65 but the response from the second double pedal beater is inconsistant . .
    Very interesting, thanks.

I was messing with the KP65 to try to determine where exactly it could be triggered, and had some concerns about off-center strikes using a double bass pedal.

I suppose an answer could be to modify (bend) one or both of the pad mounts (rods) in so they are closer together, and could be positioned closer to the "sweet spot". But that sounds like one more project that I might not want to add to my already too long list of projects.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StuSegal View Post
    ...I suppose an answer could be to modify (bend) one or both of the pad mounts (rods) in so they are closer together, and could be positioned closer to the "sweet spot". But that sounds like one more project that I might not want to add to my already too long list of projects.
    This is what I did...I swapped to old beaters that I didn't use and bent the slave one. Took me all of 2 minutes...should be a quick fix, but I have the same problem late8 does. At higher speeds, it can be inconsistent.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Double Bass Pedal?

Thanks guys.

It seems like the cleanest answer from an equipment perspective is to add a second (slave) KP65 - that way no lag or inconsistency from a second mechanical beater.

And oddly enough with some of the discount online prices I can do a KP65 and a Yamaha pedal cheaper than any decent double bass pedal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    cut and paste from Yamaha DTXplorer Freq. Ask Question (FAQ):

Quote:

The KP65 pad features an input and output jack.

1. Connect the first KP65 to the module from the KP65 output jack.

2. Connect the second KP65 to the first KP65 via the output from the second pad to the input of the first pad.

End Quote-

From the looks of it, you might need 2x KP65s to have a legit double bass set up.

Or you can try triggering one pad with a double bass pedal like I did on my KP65 but the response from the second double pedal beater is inconsistant with some lantency issues when the double pedal is really doing fast BPM (beats per minute)

I had to angle the primary double bass beater in a bit to be able to trigger the KP65 bass drum pad with more consistant pedal strokes even though the pad CAN be used with a double pedal. The rocking back and forth from double pedal to the tower is also a concern for me.

Ooh DW 5000 Nice Chain Drive
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    Quote: Ratamycue- Fart, oh man I said a naughty
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

If you are short on cash, you can use the hat pedal as a double pedal. Only problem doing so is you won't get to use it as a hat controller- but not a big deal if you only need one type of hat sound(closed or open). I've tried that with an alesis pedal, haven't run into problems yet.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments