Thread: Which Kit to get

User Info Menu

Default Which Kit to get

Hi,

I am new here and need some advice for an eKit. I am Australian, so not exactly spoiled for choice.

I have set a budget of $2000, but if I can go lower I would like to. But I am also willing to go a little higher.

Below I have compiled a list with prices. All help is appreciated.

DTX550 - $2299 (I think better than the DTXpress IV (special) but is it $300 better than the DTXpress IV or the TD9KS... Plus I love the idea of a proper hi-hat without having to upgrade so soon)

DTXpress IV (special) - $1999 (mentioned above)

TD9KS - $1999 (Sounds great, but is it as good as the DTX550)

TD4XKS - $1889 (All mesh pads, but module not as good as the TD9KS)

TD4k - $1499 (saves me $500, but I think I will want more sooner)

DTXplorer - $989 (same as above, but this was my original budget before I got upgradeitis)

HD1 - $989 (I think this may be DTXplorer... could be wrong)

Sorry if I am being a pain in the butt, but before I spend a lot of money (for me anyway) I want to make the right choice

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which Kit to get

Welcome to drumchat ! I've been down the road Your facing and let Me say "buy used" !! There are mid to high end used sets for Your budget. Look at sets like the

Yamaha Dtextreme lls
    Roland TD-12
    Roland TD-10
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Welcome to drumchat ! I've been down the road Your facing and let Me say "buy used" !! There are mid to high end used sets for Your budget. Look at sets like the

Yamaha Dtextreme lls
    Roland TD-12
    Roland TD-10
    Believe him he knows

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Believe him he knows
    +1 2slow ad so may kit you can beleve him

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by larrysperf View Post
    believe him he knows
    +2
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I took a look around. Unfortunately I am talking in Australian prices and these 3 kits do extend beyond my price level.

Although, I want to expand this question to add the 2BOX mkII. It is $3500 AUD but I hear great things about it.

The DTXtreme III is that price here, but I tried out the rubber pads that it has and hated them.

The TD12 is somewhere near $4500 and that is way too much

The TD10 however I have found at $3000 but looks like a module with a few TD10 pads and some expended with TD6 rubber pads.

So there is my current toss up. 2BOX Drumit 5 mk II or a weirdly expanded TD10.

I went out and played the other kits suggested and they annoyed me a little, just didn't feel right... and looked a little cheap

Thanks for all the help so far, it is helping, too many choices. Drives me nuts

User Info Menu

Between the last two you mentioned..get the 2box...the td-10exp. is getting pretty long in the tooth...have you tried the new DTX900 with TCS pads...they feel great and I really like the module..it's as nice a module as any out there and a little more reasonable than a td-20....
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 12-13-2010 at 04:11 AM.

User Info Menu

I have tried the dtx900. It is my favorite kit at the moment. I love the pads and drooled when I heard the sound of it. If I had the money I would probably get it over the TD-20. Sadly I do not. I think you are right. I am going to go have a bash on the 2box soon, I will tell you guys how it goes

User Info Menu

I personally own the DTX550 and I believe it to be the best combination of features and price. You get the realistic hi-hat, three-zone cymbals, and the DTX snare. Nothing in that price range can touch these features.

As for the others you've mentioned:

The DTXPress IV Special is essentially the same kit as the DTX550. In fact, it's the same module. It's just been upgraded to support the DTX pads. If you feel like you can live without the DTX pads, then the DTXPress IV is a better buy because you'll be getting the same setup for less money. But I personally found the DTX snare worth the additional cost.

The TD9 is a great module. I actually prefer it to the Yamaha DTX500 module. But the hardware that comes with it doesn't compare to Yamaha's package. You'd have to spend significantly more money in upgrades to get a nice sized ride cymbal and a realistic hi-hat. The Yamaha had everything I wanted straight out of the box. The Roland would've had me trolling eBay for weeks.

The TD4XKS has mesh pads but they're six inches. Garbage.

TD4K is a decent beginner set. But the DTXplorer is just as good, if not better, yet significantly cheaper. If you're looking for just a beginner kit to toy around with, go with the DTXplorer.

The HD1 is absolute garbage. Has like 10 kits and you can't adjust the setup at all. I hate that thing.

The 2BOX looks awesome. I haven't played it because they don't sell them here in the U.S. but everything I've seen and heard looks amazing. That would put you seriously over budget, though.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Hi Tossy,

I have the TD-9 SK (USA model). I really like it and all the features. I also like the option of buying vex packs to get better drum sounds without having to run it through a computer and software.

I paid about $1200 US for mine; new.

The 2 things it lacks are: VH-11 Hi hat, and CY15R/C. These 2 things would give you a realistic hi hat and 3 way triggering Crash/Ride cymbal. If you get this kit and upgrade those 2 features, you could sell or reuse the pads for other things.

I guess it all depends on what you will be doing with the kit. I bought mine to learn and practice drumming as a hobby.

PS. Don't forget to budget for other items you will want, such as an amplifier, bass pedal, throne, headphones, etc.
    Not young enough to know everything

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well, if you've ever heard me play the drums, you might think that I'm appropriating them for some purpose other than their original design!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jajo View Post
    The 2 things it lacks are: VH-11 Hi hat, and CY15R/C. These 2 things would give you a realistic hi hat and 3 way triggering Crash/Ride cymbal. If you get this kit and upgrade those 2 features, you could sell or reuse the pads for other things.
    That's the main thing that made me go with Yamaha over Roland. The CY15 goes for about $350 and the VH11 goes for about $400 (plus the additional $50 to buy a hi-hat stand). The DTX550 cost me $1,400 and came with a hi-hat stand, the realistic hi-hat pad, and the 15-inch 3-zone ride. So to get the same hardware cost me $1,400 with Yamaha and it would've cost me $2,000 with Roland (if I had purchased the TD9-S).

Plus, the DTX snare is 10-inches whereas the Roland PDX-8 is only 8-inches. I also like that the DTX snare is a three-zone pad (snare, rimshot, and sidestick) and the DTX silicone, in my opinion, feels better than Roland's mesh.

Roland makes great stuff but I just find their hardware to be overpriced. Yamaha's hardware is just as good, if not better in some cases, and costs way less. For example, Yamaha cymbals are half the price of similar Roland cymbals. So future upgrading costs you much less. After evaluating the overall ownership cost, and factoring in that I prefer the DTX pads to Roland's mesh pads, I just had to go with Yamaha. I really like the TD9 module, but not enough to pay out so much more money.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

DL,

Agree with you that Roland is expensive. But, when I tried out several e-kits at music stores, the more I played on the Roland, the more I liked it.

That's just personal preference.

I think it's terrific for (us as) customers to have so many choices and different features to choose from.

Bottom line is that whichever kit is chosen, it will offer a lot of enjoyment and playability.

PS. My TD-9 snare has the same 3 functions: Snare, rimshot, and cross-stick too.
    Not young enough to know everything

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well, if you've ever heard me play the drums, you might think that I'm appropriating them for some purpose other than their original design!

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the advice.

I have gone with the 2BOX, because I am a stupid, stupid man who decided to up my budget way too much.

Good news it, I should get it later this week, if you are interested I will tell you what it is like. If it is anything like the reviews should be in for something good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tossy View Post
    Thank you all for the advice.

I have gone with the 2BOX, because I am a stupid, stupid man who decided to up my budget way too much.

Good news it, I should get it later this week, if you are interested I will tell you what it is like. If it is anything like the reviews should be in for something good
    Congrats Tossy!...I personally haven't played one but from all the vids I've seen of the kit...it sure looks and sounds like a nice kit!...