Thread: Drum Roadie?

User Info Menu

Default Drum Roadie?

Anyone of you ever had a drum roadie? You know, someone to set up your drums for you?

User Info Menu

The first one ended up being the guitarist after a while.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

I'm a drum roadie.

User Info Menu

One night in July of 96' I came out of a bar after playing and two kids walking down the sidewalk asked me for a smoke. I gave them three but told them they were going to earn them, then they helped me move all of my stuff to the van, at first the other guys in the band were laughing but they soon started handing the kids stuff to carry too.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

My husband is my roadie...........

User Info Menu

Personally, I don't let anyone NEAR my kit.....over the years, lots of people have offered to help me move my gear, and I respectfully decline. That's all I need....some bozo dropping one of my toms down a flight of stairs or something, even in the case.....

Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

lol, dude, id be AFRAID to move BTG's DW's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz
    lol, dude, id be AFRAID to move BTG's DW's
    Just wait 'til he heads for the bathroom, then sneak over and turn all his cymbols so the logo's are facing different directions from where he left them. Then, when he comes back, see how long it takes him to notice. Hehe!

User Info Menu

HA! Joke's on you! The logos have been gone off my cymbals for YEARS!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    HA! Joke's on you! The logos have been gone off my cymbals for YEARS!!!!!

Doh!

Ok, when he goes to the bathroom run over and turn all his sticks upside down in the stick holster.

User Info Menu

Personally, I don't let anyone NEAR my kit.....over the years, lots of people have offered to help me move my gear, and I respectfully decline. That's all I need....some bozo dropping one of my toms down a flight of stairs or something, even in the case.....

BTG, I bet you can carry all you're equipment in one trip

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    BTG, I bet you can carry all you're equipment in one trip

HA! I wish.....

User Info Menu

All you need is that backpack Andre The Giant used in Princess bride to carry those guys up the cliff.

User Info Menu

I am my own roadie(unfortunately)

User Info Menu

Cool Drum Roadie?

Reminder: Read BTG's sig before you even THINK of gettin' near those dws!

I roadied a few times for my drum teacher buddy...including one night when his son the big-band leader started out his concert with Steve Allen's "This Could Be the Start of Something Big"...

--and within the first few bars, something big really started...a severe thunderstorm that sent fans scurrying for cover (an outdoor concert)...and sent the b-bro into duck and cover mode try'n to help his buddies cover the drum set...

He has NEVER played "Start of Something Big" since!

And as for me, I'm my own roadie...another advantage of hand percussion!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i WISH i had a roadie. i was the roadie for my drum teacher for a couple of years when i was 15 & 16. got me into all kinds of shows i was too young to get into and was great experience. too bad it is not that way now or i would have my 16yo student carry my stuff 2 or 3 times a week. i do sometimes have my boys unload cases from my van into the house. but only since i got hard cases for everything. roadie for me would be fairly easy, EVERYTHING on my kit is memory locked and marked as well as the carpet.

User Info Menu

I am my own roadie. The rest of my band offers to help me move my stuff occasionally, but I wouldn't trust anyone else to touch my stuff. Unless they are an experienced drummer or drum tech.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I used to let more people help pack up my drums (when they asked) but you learn that they'll do things like tighten the screws down so hard you need a vice grip unlock them, they'll undo things that don't need to be undone. They'll take a tripod stand "completely" apart when it only needs to break into, and they'll ask you a million questions on what goes where. By the time you explain all this to them, you could have been packed up 15 minutes earlier. Ha!

So now when someone asks to help I just politely decline.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    My husband is my roadie...........
    he might change his mind when you have more gear than what can fit into a duffle bag.

User Info Menu

I can't imagine moving all that stuff around, over and over, it must suck.

User Info Menu

My attitude is this: when I play out, I play for free. What the club owner is paying me to do, is carry all that crap to his club, unpack it, set it up, then pack it all up again at the end of the night and bring it home. But I'll play for free.

User Info Menu

I totally agree with ya!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

My attitude is this: when I play out, I play for free. What the club owner is paying me to do, is carry all that crap to his club, unpack it, set it up, then pack it all up again at the end of the night and bring it home. But I'll play for free.

after four hours of playing, tear down should pay double.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummina
    I can't imagine moving all that stuff around, over and over, it must suck.
    It keeps you in shape. The number of times I've dragged a massive double-bass drum kit with oodles of hardware and 2 overfull cymbal bags up flights of stairs ... by god, I'd probably be really fat if I didn't do it.