Thread: My good deed for the year!

User Info Menu

Default My good deed for the year!

So, my buddy Chris (who I played in a band with for 8 years) calls me up a couple weeks ago to tell me his brother Pete is getting back into drumming after an absence of about 10 or 12 years (Pete is a good friend of mine also), hooked up with some guys, and is in a band now!! Great news, I'm thinking, good for Pete, ya know? Well, Chris tells me Pete's using some old, crappy, no-name P.O.S. drumkit that sounds like he's beating on plumbing fixtures, and that he gave Pete my number...so Pete calls me up, his band has their first gig coming up, and he was wondering if I had any extra gear I wasn't using, so I let him take my old Pearl Export kit to use (Pete had played them a bit, I used to leave that kit at Chris' house for band rehearsal)...I hooked him UP, everything except a snare drum and hi-hats/hi-hat stand (which he already had)....I loaned him the kick drum, 3 rack toms, floor tom, a 16" A Zildjian crash, 18" A zildjian crash, 12" A splash, a 21" A Zildjian rock ride (and stands for all), and my old DW 5002 double kick pedal. Man, I tell you, he was like a kid on Christmas morning....made me feel like a million bucks, seeing the look on his face, and knowing that I was helping a fellow drummer re-attain his goals. Feel free to share any similar stories you may have!
    Last edited by BigTallG; 04-24-2007 at 04:50 PM.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

You're awesome! Can I have $20?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    So, my buddy Chris (who I played in a band with for 8 years) calls me up a couple weeks ago to tell me his brother Pete is getting back into drumming after an absence of about 10 or 12 years (Pete is a good friend of mine also), hooked up with some guys, and is in a band now!! Great news, I'm thinking, good for Pete, ya know? Well, Chris tells me Pete's using some old, crappy, no-name P.O.S. drumkit that sounds like he's beating on plumbing fixtures, and that he gave Pete my number...so Pete calls me up, his band has their first gig coming up, and he was wondering if I had any extra gear I wasn't using, so I let him take my old Pearl Export kit to use (Pete had played them a bit, I used to leave that kit at Chris' house for band rehearsal)...I hooked him UP, everything except a snare drum and hi-hats/hi-hat stand (which he already had)....I loaned him the kick drum, 3 rack toms, floor tom, a 16" A Zildjian crash, 18" A zildjian crash, 12" A splash, a 21" A Zildjian rock ride (and stands for all), and my old DW 5002 double kick pedal. Man, I tell you, he was like a kid on Christmas morning....made me feel like a million bucks, seeing the look on his face, and knowing that I was helping a fellow drummer re-attain his goals. Feel free to share any similar stories you may have!
    That was awesome of you to lend him that stuff! This is coming from someone who doesn't have their own kit so I know if that was me, I would have been ecstatic!

User Info Menu

Cool My good deed for the year!

BTG, it's gonna be tough to top that one...

in this case, bro', your letters stand for Big Thoughtful Guy!

Pete's gonna be rockin' loud and rockin' proud...and you literally did
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    You're awesome! Can I have $20?

No.

User Info Menu

I'm just glad someone is getting some use out of that kit...it was just sitting here collecting dust.....nice to know someone is breathing a little life back into a kit that I enjoyed for a lot of years.

User Info Menu

This in no way compares to what you did but I know a little bit about what you're feeling. A buddy of mine showed me his kit one day, and he had no drum key for tuning and a mismatched pair of sticks, a skinny one and a fat one, one of which was missing a tip.

A few hours later I dropped off for him (he was out) a drum key and a brand new pair of sticks I had a case of. I remember feeling good and chuckling about what I'd done after I left.

It's good to be nice sometimes.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

Lol, at first i was like, oh snap, BTG let someone use his DW's?

Then i was like, oh an export, then i started reading on and saw all the stuff,

Dang, good job man

User Info Menu

Borrow my DW™ kit? Never. I'm not THAT nice.

User Info Menu

Borrow my DW™ kit? Never. I'm not THAT nice.

Would you let me if asked nice?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    Would you let me if asked nice?
    There's no way you could ask nicely enough.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CyberComa
    There's no way you could ask nicely enough.
    Oh yes I could!

User Info Menu

lol, without taking your clothes off....

jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz
    lol, without taking your clothes off....

jk
    Maybe......... LOL J/K

User Info Menu

What about if I take my clothes off?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    Oh yes I could!

Oh no you couldn't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo
    What about if I take my clothes off?

Dude.........you are not right.

User Info Menu

Oh no you couldn't.

Ah come on!