Thread: Alesis DM Pro Help...Anyone...Please?!

User Info Menu

Default Alesis DM Pro Help...Anyone...Please?!

I have an Alesis DM Pro module I just recently started playing with again. Once upon a time, I actually learned how to use it after hours of literally beating my head against the wall trying to get it to set my triggers how I like them. Well, being the absent-minded one that I am, I totally forgot how to program my triggers again. The previous owner had all sorts of wacky sounds coming out of the triggers on all the different kits, and one I just used for the sole purpose of cymbals. So, my question is, does anyone know exactly how to program a snare trigger to actually sound like a snare, and a floor tom to sound like a floor tom, etc.? Your help would be greatly appreciated as the user manual might as well be in pig latin, and I can't figure this out on my own.
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alesis DM Pro Help...Anyone...Please?!

I could assist with Roland, but the only Alesis gear I have is a PA.

Have you looked at the Alesis site for documentation/support?
    Not young enough to know everything

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well, if you've ever heard me play the drums, you might think that I'm appropriating them for some purpose other than their original design!

User Info Menu

Gimme a lil time tomorrow (my way here.....I'm typing this at 1:45am after getting back from the Sydney U2 concert).......I own a couple of Alesis DM5 kits.....cheers! ;-)
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Gimme a lil time tomorrow (my way here.....I'm typing this at 1:45am after getting back from the Sydney U2 concert).......I own a couple of Alesis DM5 kits.....cheers! ;-)
    Hey, no problem. Thanks in advance friend. The instruction manual they give you for this thing probably destroyed most of the rainforest to give you a encyclopedia's worth of material that requires you to be a brain surgeon to figure out. Seeing as how I only split atoms part-time of course, I think I would have better luck establishing world peace before figuring this thing out.
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

Well goh-lee Gomer! I think I figured out how to change the triggers on this thing. If Alesis would have put this stupid manual in plain English, they might have told you to do it this way...

1. Select the designated kit that is chosen to be tuned.
    2. Go to the trigger menu by selecting TRIGGER.
    3. Use the <TRIGGER> button to select the designated trigger.
    4. Press the DRUM button.
    5. Use the wheel to select your kit group (Cym, Tom, etc.)
    6. After selecting your kit group, use the <CURSOR> button to find the trigger that best suits your liking. (ex. Cym: 018 Drk Crash)
    7. After you are completely satisfied, press STORE twice, and Tah-Dah!

Now your designated trigger should be set to your standards. (ex. Dark Crash on Trigger 5) I hope this helps everyone out there who was just like me and ready to pull their hair out, trying to figure out how to program this crazy contraption. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm expected at the Mayor's Office. I was told I would be awarded a key to the city upon solving the great Alesis Case.

User Info Menu

Lol....beat me to the punch on that one! Yeah, and you think the Alesis manual is a little stupid? I've the Roland SPD-20 Octopad and Roland R-70 drum machine ones that'll make you scratch your head reading some parts lol.

User Info Menu

There is an Alesis e-drum forum that may prove helpful to you...

http://www.dmdrummer.com/
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 12-18-2010 at 10:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Lol....beat me to the punch on that one! Yeah, and you think the Alesis manual is a little stupid? I've the Roland SPD-20 Octopad and Roland R-70 drum machine ones that'll make you scratch your head reading some parts lol.
    Yeah, I was on a mission to figure this thing out. Of course it took a lot of screaming and threatening the module (hey, it made me feel better) I finally learned how to decode the stupid thing. Now, if I could just figure out how to get my hat pedal to respond...Here we go again...AHHHHH!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    There is an Alesis e-drum forum that prove helpful to you...

http://www.dmdrummer.com/
    Thanks for the tip whammin. I'll have to check it out, as now I've got an unresponsive pedal and it is driving me flippin' nuts. Is a properly working e-kit really too much to ask for?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by willdrum4food View Post
    Thanks for the tip whammin. I'll have to check it out, as now I've got an unresponsive pedal and it is driving me flippin' nuts. Is a properly working e-kit really too much to ask for?
    Have you done what I did before? Had my foot on, switched the module on....only to find your "closed hi-hat" sound is relegated to the "upstroke"of your pedal? Next time, switch your kit on then put your foot on the pedal.

User Info Menu

Email a guy named "Hellfire" over there (or at eDf or vdrumforum)...he owns and knows quite a bit about the Alesis ekits...and also has some tutorial videos (I believe) on the DMpro...

User Info Menu

Have you done what I did before? Had my foot on, switched the module on....only to find your "closed hi-hat" sound is relegated to the "upstroke"of your pedal? Next time, switch your kit on then put your foot on the pedal.
    Actually, I never really had my foot on the pedal. However, when I do attempt to close my hats, there's no response from the pedal, and the hats remain open. This time, my screaming and physical threats toward the module did not help...I give up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    Email a guy named "Hellfire" over there (or at eDf or vdrumforum)...he owns and knows quite a bit about the Alesis ekits...and also has some tutorial videos (I believe) on the DMpro...
    I just sent him a message with my current troubles, so fingers crossed, he doesn't mistake me for some spammer or weirdo and actually can help me with my issue. In the meantime, I just set my hats to closed and ditched the pedal. Words can't even explain how awkward that feels not being able to open/close your hats properly.

User Info Menu

Actually, I never really had my foot on the pedal. However, when I do attempt to close my hats, there's no response from the pedal, and the hats remain open. This time, my screaming and physical threats toward the module did not help...I give up.
    Ah...I had that problem too...if it's one of them earlier plasticy pedals....I'm afraid you might have a wire worked loose. Are you still under warranty? I had to get the shop that I purchased it from send it back to Alesis's distributor here in Sydney to exchange it for another whilst they took that one back to repair. That could be the case with yours, it sounds.

User Info Menu

Ah...I had that problem too...if it's one of them earlier plasticy pedals....I'm afraid you might have a wire worked loose. Are you still under warranty? I had to get the shop that I purchased it from send it back to Alesis's distributor here in Sydney to exchange it for another whilst they took that one back to repair. That could be the case with yours, it sounds.
    Well, it certainly looks cheap, and sure enough, it's a plastic Simmons hat pedal, made by Fisher Price. The funny thing is, I hooked it straight up to the old Simmons module that originally came with the unit, and it works fine. My first thoughts were also a defective pedal, considering from what I've read so far the Simmons SDK5 is garbage. For the price, I really didn't expect this thing to work miracles, it was just all I could really afford at this time for a cheap practice kit that won't get me in trouble with my neighbors (or the cops.) Still no word from whammin's guy either, so I am at a stalemate with this thing.
    Last edited by willdrum4food; 12-17-2010 at 12:45 PM.