Thread: Practice schedules - newbie help

User Info Menu

Default Practice schedules - newbie help

Hello everyone!!!

This is my first post on this great forum so I'm gonna use the first few lines to introduce myself as a drummer.

Ever since I started listening to music the sound of drums always attracted me more than any other part of any song, so naturally I wanted to play the instrument. However since I was a little kid back then, my parents thought that "drums" are just one of my "I wanna be *something*phase" so they didn't get me a set .
    I kept dreaming about it until my uncle bought "Guitar Hero: World Tour" set for himself and invited me and some friends to play a few times. You are guessing that I picked drums and they couldn't get me off them :D.
    After that I thought to myself: "I'm 18 now, I've got room, time, will. Why the heck don't I buy myself a set???"
    And that was it. Before buying drums I went to this drummer who kinda tested my "skills" and told me that I have potential but that I also a but too old to start something.
    I ignored the age part and bought my drum kit and now I'm playing it for almost a year now and I think that I'm doing quite good.

AND HERE'S THE PROBLEM.

I wanna become really, really good and like I've said I've got the time, patience, will, everything except the right material to study from.
    I guess there are a lot of self taught drummers here and I'd like to ask you if you can give me some tips on which material can I download, buy, see, do to which will make me play like a beast if I stick and practice to it.
    I live in Dubrovnik, Croatia and there is only one drum teacher here but he is studying (drums) in Vienna so I can't see him for private lessons.

Think that's pretty much it. Hope I didn't bore you with all the unnecessary "history" :D

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practice schedules - newbie help

Welcome to Drum Chat Basturina!

I thought I should share with you that I started playing the drums when I was 52, so don't let anyone tell you it's too late. I'm not planning on being a rock star, so it's all about my own enjoyment, and eventually finding some folks to play with.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome Basturina, nice to have more international drummers here!! and like PB said you are never to old..if the want and desire is there no one should hold you back..playing for just fun or profit..now..since you are limited on teachers from what you said, you can start right here on DC, some excellent drumming links..But, personal one on one lessons can aid in helping it all come together..so sit back and join the fun, and don't forget to .......
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Welcome Basturina! Sounds like you have the attitude and the will to achieve your goal. Yes you are correct that it will take many hours of hard work to become a good solid drummer.

Books and videos helped me out but nothing can come close to what a qualified drum teacher can do to help correct your technique. With that said, I understand your situation.

What helped me out when my funds dried up for lessons was playing with other people. The exposure to different styles and dynamics of others helped with my own dynamics and it forced me to listen rather than try to fill very measure with rolls and crashes.

A metronome can stand in if you are limited to jamming with others. The book titled "Stick Control" helped build my muscle memory as well as my sight reading.

A practice pad and a metronome. That was my method of building up my wrists and fingers. Then came weekend jams with my friends.

Good luck on the venture and I hope to see you around the forum.

User Info Menu

hey man thats kind of how i started im 20 though and only been playing a year lol so dont know much like most ppl here except i started by playing rock band1 & 2 and eventually i asked my dad if he could get me drums...surprisingly he did even though my parents have money troubles. those video games actually give u a feel for the drums so u learn basic things kind of fast. hope i can find a way to make up for the money and time my parents spent on me even though i have no job *sighs*.

User Info Menu

try and practice at least 30 mins a day or to 1hour 30 mins of course dont play if u dont really feel like it u might think ur not good and doubt ur self sometimes. its best to play when u want to or u heard a song that got u really excited or pumped up or ur in real good mood maybe even mad lol