Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head combo question

User Info Menu

Default Head combo question

I'm picking up a new kit tomorrow (so excited! ) and it needs a new set of heads. I won't have the money to do it immediately, but I was wondering if these were good combos. I'm looking for a to the point and punchy sound that hits you and then gets out of the way. Not to say I want my drums to sound dead. Just not overly resonant or ringy. I'm gonna go with Evans this time around. Here's what I've come up with.

Toms:
    Onyx over EC Resonant

Snare:
    Power Center Reverse Dot over Hazy 300

Bass:
    EMAD Onyx. The resonant head will be the stock head until I have enough money to get a custom reso head with my band's name and logo on it.

This is for a Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage fusion kit. The sizes are 10", 12", 14" and a 22" kick. The snare is a 14" Acrolite, although the snare heads don't have to be changed for quite some time now. Just figured I'd throw it in there. Like I said, I won't have the money to go out on Saturday and buy all these heads, but I'm planning ahead. So how would these combos work out?

/edit:
    Just a side note, I haven't tried any of these heads in real life. I've seen some product demos on YouTube and read about them on Evans' site. I would say 95% of my reasoning for picking those heads were because of their descriptions online and the other 5% would be product demos, even though those vary from kit to kit.
    Last edited by NoiseInMotion; 12-16-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Head combo question

I had that set up on my snare. I hated the Power Center Reverse Dot. Just too much ring for me...even with 2 moon gels. I went back to the ST Dry head.

User Info Menu

Congrats NIM!!!! Wow a early Christmas gift?? I use the Evans Coated Power Center Reverse Dot/Hazy 300. One moongel minimuim is reccomended. I use two and I can echo Markos comment about being too ringy without any dampening.

My bass drum batters are Evans Emad clear. Can't comment on the Onyx batters. I do like the Emad dampening rings. I use the narrowest one and one Evans EQ Pillow in my primary kick. If I want really "BOOMY" bass sustain, I ditch the EQ pillow and go with just the dampening rings on the bass drum batter heads.

Congrats again and look forward to seeing your ear to ear grin in some pics!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new kit! Don't forget to post pics when you get it.

I haven't had experience with any of those heads except for the EMAD. It'll give you a really clicky trigger-like bass drum sound, which is a good thing or a bad thing depending on what sound you're looking for.

I've played several kits with Onyx tom heads at various stores and I think they would give you the sound you're looking for with the toms.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Thanks Late8 and Yohin. It's sort of a gift to myself lol. Don't worry, there'll be plenty of pics I had a question about the Power Center head. Do you find that it extends the sweet spot of the snare to the edges like it says on the website? There's times when I hit my snare slightly off center with the Emperor head I'm using now and it doesn't sound right.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China

Click here!

User Info Menu

I might give these Onyx heads a shot. I was leaning toward the EC 2 for my next set.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new kit! Dont forget our pics!
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

congrats on the new kit they are awesome :D
    ive got a yamaha stage custom and id say if you want a punchy sound thats there then gone i got it with evans g2s they have a bit of sustain but they dont stay around for long
    im only saying this cos i havent tried the onyx and i prefer the sound of g2s over the ec2s i had on before

also i can agree with the over ring on the Power Center Reverse Dot but use the hazy as a rezo they are brilliant :D i also changed it to the st dry

oh yeah and pics when you get it :D
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I'm getting some good info. Just wondering, is it possible to return drum heads? I hear what you guys are saying about too much ring with the power center head, but I'd still like to give it a shot. I'm also considering other batter heads in the event the power center doesn't work out. Should I go single or double ply?

Just a side note. I appreciate all the input, but I'm really looking for input on the Onyx over ECR for the toms and the EMAD Onyx for the kick. The snare heads I've got are still in pretty good condition and I'm probably gonna have to replace the tom heads before the snare.
    Last edited by NoiseInMotion; 12-17-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: noticed a typo
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm getting some good info. Just wondering, is it possible to return drum heads? I hear what you guys are saying about too much ring with the power center head, but I'd still like to give it a shot. I'm also considering other batter heads in the event the power center doesn't work out. Should I go single or double ply?

Just a side note. I appreciate all the input, but I'm really looking for a input on the Onyx over ECR for the toms and the EMAD Onyx for the kick. The snare heads I've got are still in pretty good condition and I'm probably gonna have to replace the tom heads before the snare.
    My local shop always seems to have the PCRD head on sale for 10 bucks. I figured at that price why not give it a shot, right?

Honestly, brother, if you were remotely close to Harrisburg I would just give you mine. It only has about a month and a half on my snare before I changed it.

User Info Menu

I got bored in school and started looking at this again. I came up with some other combos that I think might be closer to what I'm looking for. Like I said in my first post, I'm looking for a combo that gives each drum a distinct punchy sound without sounding dead. So here's my latest combos:

Toms:
    Hydraulics

over

EC Resonant

Bass:
    EMAD 2 Clear

As you can see, durability is also important to me because replacing heads can get very expensive and I'd like to get as much use out of a set of heads as I can. The one thing I'm having some trouble selecting is a snare head. Like the toms, I want it to be defined without a lot of ring. I didn't realize at first how ringy the PCRD head is until you guys said and I saw some video demos of it. The only head I found that offers what I'm looking for is the Hybrid Coated head, but it's nearly $60 for one head and that's just ridiculous. I'd still use the Hazy 300 for a reso head, but I can't figure out which batter to get.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

And here's the charts of the 2 snare heads I was debating. I wanted to post them together and couldn't fit both of them in my last post because of the image limit.

Power Center Reverse Dot:

Hybrid Coated:

/edit:
    My current snare head is still in good shape, by the way. I'm more interested in the toms and bass, but I'd like to know what snare head to get for when I need to.
    Last edited by NoiseInMotion; 01-04-2011 at 09:45 AM.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Have you tried the ST Dry head yet? Not much ring to it at all.

User Info Menu

I actually haven't tried any of the heads mentioned in this thread. It's all speculation based on the info on Evans' site.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Hydraulics are not going to give you anything close to punch. They are probably the deadest heads you can buy. But...people like them. I like them. They are easy to tune and give a nice fat low end sound.

User Info Menu

Ah. Then I guess I was right the first time with the Onyx.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

HD Dry for your snare batter.
    For your toms, were do you want them to sound good from and in what situations?

User Info Menu

I'd avoid the hybrid head on your snare. Only bad things could happen to your drum if you use it.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    HD Dry for your snare batter.
    For your toms, were do you want them to sound good from and in what situations?
    I'll look into the HD dry.
    Not sure what you mean about my toms, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    I'd avoid the hybrid head on your snare. Only bad things could happen to your drum if you use it.
    Why's that?
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Do you want your toms to sound good from the drivers seat or from the audience, miked or unmiked?

User Info Menu

The hybrid head is a marching head, the tension that head can put on a drum set snare is easily enough to damage the bearing edges, and break lugs and the such. If you were putting it on a marching drum than by all means, but it was not made with the intention of drum set use.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Do you want your toms to sound good from the drivers seat or from the audience, miked or unmiked?
    Is there a way to have both? I wouldn't want them to sound good to me and terrible at a gig.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    The hybrid head is a marching head, the tension that head can put on a drum set snare is easily enough to damage the bearing edges, and break lugs and the such. If you were putting it on a marching drum than by all means, but it was not made with the intention of drum set use.
    They make a version of the marching head for regular drumset snares. That's the one I'm talking about. I doubt something like that would put that much stress on the drum.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Unmiked drums that sound good to the audience sound extremely resonant ringy and slightly high pitched from the drivers seat.

User Info Menu

I don't know what I'll be dealing with in terms of gigs. I know of one this month that's prooobably gonna happen, but it's probably going to be a small enough venue that doesn't need mics. I honestly don't know what's coming down the pipe far enough into the future though.

/edit:
    Question about the HD Dry. It's a 2 ply head, right? Aren't 2 ply heads not great for Acrolites? I remember reading a post on here some time ago that a 2 ply head would really choke the drum. It may have been about another kind of snare though, I can't remember. Also, don't 2 ply heads lack sensitivity? I'm using a Remo Coated Emperor right now and have noticed a lack of sensitivity, which is something I'd like to change with my next head purchase. What about the ST or ST Dry head? It sounds like a really sensitive head by the description on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Evans' Site
    Packing two layers of 7.5mil film, the ST promotes durability and a full-bandwidth rimshot. It delivers all the volume and ring needed, yet amazingly responds to the flick of a fingernail. The addition of small vents around the perimeter of the dry version eliminate additional overtones and create a more focused sound.
    St/ST Dry
    Last edited by NoiseInMotion; 01-05-2011 at 07:39 AM.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

From my experience with different drums and different heads, the best snare head thet I have found for me is the Evans EC Reverse dot. It really tames down the overtones but it still lets the drum have some life. There are some sound clips on the net. From what you are saying I think this would be the head for you.
    P.S. They are very durable. John