Thread: Question about double bass technique

User Info Menu

Default Question about double bass technique

I have been playing drums off and on forever and double bass for about 5 years, and not only is my double bass technique not getting better, lately it seems to be getting worse. My double bass rolls sound more like flams than a roll because I've noticed my left pedal is coming up a lot higher than my right pedal. My right foot seems to be holding the pedal down while my left foot is letting it bounce. I can't play a roll because my feet are at different heights. How do I fix this?!! Will tightening my left pedal more than the right work? Thanks Milton.
    Last edited by DrumminD21311; 12-16-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about double bass technique

Well, the tension of the spring could be the issue. I'd start by adjusting the left, because thats what seems to be the problem. And it could just be that you haven't built up the technique yet. Just start slow, with 8th notes, and gradually build up, being sure to keep the rolls even. Some days i have the same problem. I'd say just experiment with different tensions on the pedal.

Hope this helps,

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about double bass technique

You should check your left pedal first.
    Then you should practice which is the best thing you could different double pedal techniques.