Thread: Cymbal Recommendations?

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal Recommendations?

I've been playing in a small country band about 3 months now after 30 years off!!!! IT'S FUN!!!!!!!!!! I have a nice Zildjian hihat and crash/ride with my new Yamaha set. Would you guys suggest a crash now or a splash if I wanted to add a third cymbal?????? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal Recommendations?

I'd say get at least one dedicated crash to use with your crash/ride.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    I'd say get at least one dedicated crash to use with your crash/ride.
    I would second that notion...but get whatever you feel will most benefit you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I would second that notion...but get whatever you feel will most benefit you.
    I third that notion
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

What's the main difference between a crash and a splash?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by polygonguy View Post
    What's the main difference between a crash and a splash?
    Splash cymbals are more of an accent cymbal with faster decays, less projection and are smaller / thinner than crashes. Splashes are usually 12" or less. Crashes project more, sustain longer and are usually sized 14" or more.

User Info Menu

Well defined areFish, and I agree with the others that a true crash cymbal would be a good next option. Take your crash/ride to a store and listen to it compared to a crash. You will not only hear the difference, but you will be able to find a cymbal sound that compliments it, whether you end up buying a crash or a splash.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

If it were me I'd want a dedicated ride cymbal. A good crash/ride is very versatile and it's nice to have both functions out of one cymbal, but to go a step further and have at least one DEDICATED crash and ride separately is much more satisfying.

So ask yourself which you'd like to have more at this point in time. A ride or a crash? I would add a splash only after everything else is in place. Probably not ultra useful for country music anyway.

User Info Menu

Ive played a lot of country. I would suggest a great ride cymbal first. Something dark, thats easy to get going with a set of brushes.

User Info Menu

i will also say crash like a 16 inch

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

crash or AA 21 Dry raw bell ride
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

User Info Menu

I would go for a Crash right now.

User Info Menu

I dont know anything about country music, but id reccomend what ever suits country better out of a crash or a ride.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Splash cymbals are more of an accent cymbal with faster decays, less projection and are smaller / thinner than crashes. Splashes are usually 12" or less. Crashes project more, sustain longer and are usually sized 14" or more.
    You know Paiste are one of a few manufacturers that offer a 13" crash in their catalogue as well? If you had that along with one of their 12" large splashes, might be hard to tell the difference, especially if that is a paperthin crash. You are right splash = faster decay, less projection, but a few makers really do blur the line.

Possibly the best book to read about cymbals is (naturally titled) "The Cymbal Book" by the Dutch music writer Hugo Pinksterboer.....I love pulling that one out on occasion in quick little breaks in drum lessons. If there was any drum/percussion book that was written as a labour of love....then, this book is it (must have a patient wife....his dedication in the front says "...To Hedy, who knows more about cymbals than anyone who never wanted to know about cymbals will ever know about cymbals, a symbol of my love.." )...in a section dealing with the origins of the terms 'hi-hats, rides and crashes', Hugo writes:

"...(In the late 1940's Zildjian catalogue)..all sizes were available in the weights Paper Thin, Thin, Medium Thin, Medium, Medium Heavy and Heavy...the words "ride" and "crash", so familiar now, had not been coined yet- let alone the onomatopoeic terms such as Ping, Pang, Smash and Splash".
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I would say a nice 18 K dark thin would be a great addition to your style.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the info, guys! This forum is awesome for me. Ithelps me a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!