Thread: Hard core metal drummers

User Info Menu

Default Hard core metal drummers

Does anybody know of any that play a single bass? Tearing you tube apart and haven't found any, but there must be?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hard core metal drummers

One big one: Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden. Also Slayer's first album "Hell Awaits" was single kick.

Depending on your definition of "metal", there's also a number of hardcore outfits with a single bass on the kick, but it's exceedingly rare. Also I'd bank that the majority of doom metal bands use single bass, since they've no real reason not to.

User Info Menu

Never seen one.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

If you're talking about Metalcore, Deathcore etc. I doubt you're gonna find one.
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

I know this dosent really answer your question
    but kollias does a lot of his blasts single footed
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

the dude from hatebreed did
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

as does joey from slipknot and derek roddy
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Dude from mastodon, I don't know his name. One of the few metal groups I like, specifically because there is a lack of constant double bass. He does roll on it it, but he likes using his toms alot as well.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Pretty much what I thought I'd hear, but I find it hard to believe there isn't somebody out their making a name for themself by bucking the trend. Seems like there always is. About Nico, in it's day it was hard core, but it's not the music I'm looking at now. For blasting, there are a fair share of drummers out there doing it with single bass, or at least can pull it out of their bag of tricks.

Right on about the Doom, but stylistically the music doesn't cover what I'm looking for.

I've been searching Youtube for this on and off all day with not much luck. There are some Northern European folk metal bands using single bass. The music is interesting as heck, alot of unusual instruments but not hard core.

3 or 4 years ago I caught Cristina Scabbia with a group that wasn't Lacuna Coil, but had a drummer that's pretty close to what I'm looking for. I don't remember who the group was, and probably never knew who the drummer was.

If anyone is aware of a stylistic clone of someone like Mayer and Haake, please let me know. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    I know this dosent really answer your question
    but kollias does a lot of his blasts single footed
    Single footed blasts aren't that hard. If your kick is lined up with your snare and highhat/ride, then its not that difficult at moderated tempos. You need double pedal when you double time the kick.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Oh crap I clicked on the wrong thread.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    Single footed blasts aren't that hard. If your kick is lined up with your snare and highhat/ride, then its not that difficult at moderated tempos. You need double pedal when you double time the kick.
    Yeah, but i thought it would be worthwile to note
    I do blasts singlefooted even. i find them more fun that way.
    he does it up to 280 bmp i think though
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

It's worth noting that the single/double kick thing is all based upon the sound you're going for, and for a fast and aggressive style like metal you aren't going to find many players who are willing to sacrifice that. Simply put, outside of blast beats there is physically no way to do the kind of speed and complexity that most metal drummers aim for. It's like trying to play their riffs on a guitar with two strings.

Sure there are a couple out there (BTW, Brann from Mastodon uses an Iron Cobra DOUBLE), but that's because the music they play for various reasons doesn't require double kicks. You simply aren't going to find someone in, say, death metal or black metal that isn't using two pedals simply by virtue of the sound they're aiming for.

You will NEVER find someone sounding like Tomas Haake on a single kick, just because a huge part of Haake's sound is the polyrhythmic complexity and speed he achieves with two kicks.

User Info Menu

Just for the record, most if not all of the drummers named on this thread use double pedals on a single kick drum. The Joey one made me laugh though.

I'm not sure how you define metal, but Aaron Gillespie of Underoath only uses one pedal in all of his songs.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Sorry about the confusion about single bass. I mean one bass, one single pedal. I asked this out of personal interest hoping someone was aware of some newer drummers comming up in primarily black and death metal, that are bringing something new to the drumming in the music. I was hoping to get some new direction. If no one is taking the drumming in new drections, then we've seen it all already. It's only going to get slowly faster and faster, and we're going to see the new signature chops coming with the new faces. It's only my opinion, but this is disappointing. Speed is one thing, but regardless of what you are playing. you still only have 2 legs and 2 hands and much more could be done for the same effect of speed. It's at a point now it almost doesn't matter what drummer is playing with who, the music may be different, but the drumming is all the same. Thanks all for the information.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    One big one: Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden. Also Slayer's first album "Hell Awaits" was single kick.

Depending on your definition of "metal", there's also a number of hardcore outfits with a single bass on the kick, but it's exceedingly rare. Also I'd bank that the majority of doom metal bands use single bass, since they've no real reason not to.
    Slayer's first album was Show No Mercy. Good early vintage stuff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Oh crap I clicked on the wrong thread.
    That was classic!