Thread: What to look for in standard conga set?

User Info Menu

Cool What to look for in standard conga set?

Hi all,

Looking to get started on congas. I'm a bass player, but would love some decently nice hand drums.

Can I get away with two congas or do I need more?

What sizes should I get?

Recommended brands/models?

Don't really have a budget, but would like good value and not too expensive.

Thanks!
    TMANAIC

User Info Menu

Default Re: What to look for in standard conga set?

I have been into conga drums for only one year so I'm no expert. I would suggest getting a Quinto and a Tumba OR conga and tumba. I have all four,Conga quinto, requinto and tumba. Shop around online for the best prices or check out craigs list etc.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your reply, flyer.

Is a Conga/Tumba combo a more traditional setup than the Conga/Quinto set typically sold together? Do they do that just because it is cheaper?

You definitely feel a Tumba should be included, then.

Thanks
    TMANIAC

User Info Menu

TMANIAC, welcome to the board! A standard set would usually be a conga/tumba or quinto/conga setup; however, there is no set rule on what you have to use, I know pros that use 2 congas or 2 tumbas, its really player preference. I personally like the smaller drums so I use a quinto/conga setup. With exception to some of the vintage makers, the standard sizes are as follows:

Requinto- 9.75"
    Quinto - 11"
    Conga - 11.75"
    Tumba - 12.5"
    Super Tumbas - 13", 13.5", 14", even seen them up to 16"

I'd reccomend staying away from the beginner teir as they are usually not standard sizes. They are usually 10" and 11" or something similar. LP Matadors would be my #1 suggestion for a beginner, they are relatively affordable, full size, and excellent quality, I know many pros who gig with them. I'd also reccomend the Gon Bops Tumbao Pro, I really like the build of gon bops and their hardware is awesome.
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

Yeah,It depends on what you like. I think the quinto/tumba is a good combination and you have your bassy tone in the tumba.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys.. I'll have to try some out and see... I'm leaning conga/tumba though, but I should give them all a shot.

How do the Meinl Marathons stack up to the Matadors? THey seem at least comparable and are cheaper around here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TManiac View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.. I'll have to try some out and see... I'm leaning conga/tumba though, but I should give them all a shot.

How do the Meinl Marathons stack up to the Matadors? THey seem at least comparable and are cheaper around here.
    I've never had any personal experience with the Marathon model, though Meinl usually makes nice stuff. They come in traditional sizes too, so your good there. Skins are buffalo, which I personally would change immediately, but they'll work fine for atleast a while, most of the companies are putting this skin on their drums these days despite the constant poor reviews it gets from drummers. Looks like black powder coated hardware is the only option.

I would just try as many as you can and find the ones that sound best to you. Check the used market too, congas have a low resale value, you can get some pro quality stuff at the same price as the new beginner/intermidiate stuff.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: What to look for in standard conga set?

Hey, TManiac! Most of the standard conga sets being made today are quinto and conga pairs; as Gretschhead pointed out, there are other sizes available.

In my experience, most of the two-conga sets I've seen played are quinto and conga; don't worry about having quinto and conga even if you're playing conga and tumba parts, since the hand techniques would not change on two drums.

My "show" congas (which I currently use with my church's guitar ensemble) are CP quinto and conga and a Remo Pancho Sanchez tumba (as shown in my avatar). Some guys like having matched sets; me, it was a matter of what fit my budget when I bought them. And I've gotten a lot of use and a lot of great sounds out of them. I prefer playing three because I get more sounds out of three than just two, but as has been mentioned previously, play a number of different sizes and makes and you'll learn what works best for you!

Good luck, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

If youre certain about buying,you might keep an eye out for some used stands. I say this because good stands can be very pricey,like $150 each for the high quality stands.

User Info Menu

Good point, frquent flyer!

I play seated, but some guys like to play while standing...

The sturdier the stands the better, BTW!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

To the fellow looking for drums. I just reviewed one of the popular selling programs;I look for drums in"ALL cities" There were loads of congas at all prices. Sorry I can't specify the lists name but that {To my understanding}is not allowed here.

User Info Menu

Good start, but as I posted earlier, you may want to play as many congas as you can get your hands on (pun intended) to find the ones that work for you! I would be extremely cautious about buying something sight unseen!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Sight unseen or buying from an ad can be risky for sure. I usually try to buy only those items that allow for at least a 48 hour trial period. The congas which I purchased last year were bought "new" from online resources. I was lucky ;they turned out to be good drums.Also the drums which I bought had a return if not satisfied clause.
    Last edited by frquent flyer; 01-09-2011 at 08:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Good start, but as I posted earlier, you may want to play as many congas as you can get your hands on (pun intended) to find the ones that work for you! I would be extremely cautious about buying something sight unseen!
    Not only do you want to play before you buy, but congas from a private party (not a music store) are usually quite expensive to ship and can really tack on to the price. I just shipped a pair to California a couple weeks ago at a cost of $180 for shipping and packaging materials. Nothing wrong with buying used, in fact I would recommend it every time, but its best to look in your area, otherwise it'll probably wind up cheaper buying new online and getting the free shipping that most of the big sites offer.

User Info Menu

I am an experienced conguero and a former Afro Cuban band member.

What are your goals with this instrument?

If you are just looking at this as a casual intrest then I reccomend the LP Aspires, Remo congas or Gon Bops Tumbao series. Look at the hardware ane how it attaches to the body newer CP line congas by LP are terrible but their older models were excellent.

If you are looking for something a bit more serious then the LP Matador line or the TOCA traditional line are a good step up from the entry level.

Another consideration is the heads. Many new drums come with terrible "Buffalo hide" heads. These are Water Buffalo and the real deal is cow skin. Many experienced and newer players have greater success with the Remo heads. They are easier on the hands, easier to get the tones, louder, sound good, do not fluctuate tuning with humidity or temperture and the list goes on.

Many experienced players talk only about Cow Hide headsor mule skins. I personally prefer REMO heads. Also the quality of the head makes 70 - 90% of the overall tone as the instrument goes. If you do not have a goodhead then it will be difficult to get a good sound even with experience.

Jerry