Thread: Do you feel the same way as I do

User Info Menu

Question Do you feel the same way as I do

Hi guys do any of you have the same problem I do. I can go crazy on the practice pad and have fun doing it but when I get behind the kit I am lost, can't seem to find the fun that I get from the pad. Sometimes I will get different objects on the table to bang along with the practice pad. This amuses my friends so much that they say wow man you are a realy good drummer. I think alot has to do with maybe the bass which makes you lose concentration on the top part of the kit. I love my kit and all but I wish I could have more fun with it. Anyway just wondered if any have this problem.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do you feel the same way as I do

#1 I don't think your lost, the rebound off the pads are usually phenominal in comparison to the actual drumheads and the other objects your hitting are probably closer than your actual drums, IMO that's the first reason. Secondly let the bass drum come into the fun naturally, once you get your groove going don't think about the bass, let it come into the mix a little at a time until your comfortable and add more of it as you go. I know exactly what your talking about, and don't let any of the resonance of the drums distract you. I can't remember who it was, he's an awesome drummer, and he said if you want to build up your muscles and get some great chops down you should be practising on pillows, then watch what happens when you go to the kit.
    Last edited by Spiderjig; 12-19-2010 at 08:17 AM.

User Info Menu

I suck on a pad. Only feel "good" when I'm using my feet.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

I feel ya. Everything sounds and feels really clean to me on a practice pad. But switch to drums, and it's a whole different ball game.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Thanks guys I guess I am not the only one that feels this way.

User Info Menu

PMM, I went through a period where I was wondering if maybe I should just play hand drums, because keeping a rhythm on hand drums was easier than having to pay attention to the lower limbs too. Of course, I was playing simple patterns on the conga/tumba, but I could play along with more songs. In the end, though, I'm glad I didn't allow myself to get too discouraged, because putting all the limbs together is very gratifying to me.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I struggle equally with hands and feet on the kit, yet the practice pad yields good results since there's no distractions to wander off too.

User Info Menu

I tried to use the hi-hat pedal for quarter notes during a groove for the first time today. It's hard! I use the hat pedal in some of my grooves but I've never tried to play quarter notes on it. I'm trying to work on my left leg independence. I started by playing the quarter notes on the hat pedal on 100 BPM. Then I started with the eigth notes on the ride. Then I tried to add the snare on 2 and 4 and the bass on 1 and 3. I had all the limbs going right in the groove after about 30 minutes. Limb independence is tough!!
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

Awesome on the 1/4 notes for the HH pedal...that's a tough one for me too!

User Info Menu

im just the opposite, love the kit, hate the pad. but my pad also doesnt have anywhere near the rebound of my snare.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

In a way, yes. When I'm just tapping on the table or on the steering wheel, I'm freekin' awesome :-) I can do triplets, quads, or even quintuplets without even thinking about it. The coordination that I have with my 10 fingers are simply AMAZING ! Now, if I can just apply some of that towards my drum set! But, I guess that's part of the challenge :-)

User Info Menu

For me it's the opposite. I have more fun playing on my kit than on a practice pad. Also I never think about my feet it just comes naturally to me and sometimes it scares to me because it seems like it does stuff by itself. But everybody is different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Hi guys do any of you have the same problem I do. I can go crazy on the practice pad and have fun doing it but when I get behind the kit I am lost, can't seem to find the fun that I get from the pad.
    I'm actually wired the other way 'round. I'm so used to playing the kit with hearing protection that padwork to me can actually be startlingly loud. I've been using pillows instead since last year, which has helped immensely; the only drawback is that cheap pillowcases can create a subtle lint cloud. I usually put the pillow on a folding chair in front of me when I do this (watching TV), and when I'm done there's a little dusting, almost like snow, of lint on the metal back of the chair.

I'm BREATHING this. Well, ugly but good pillowcases are cheaper than most drum stuff.

Anyway, try as I might, I am not a pad person. The kit is where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar36023 View Post
    I tried to use the hi-hat pedal for quarter notes during a groove for the first time today.
    Jimmy Chamberlin is the first thing that popped into my head reading this.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I'm also the opposite way, I started out playing the kit so when I played a practice pad for the first time it was so different and so much cleaner that I thought I was doing something wrong kit-wise. It takes some getting used to, but persevering is the key because the last thing you wanna be is top-heavy on a kit...doing exercises to separate your limbs will help a lot in your case.

User Info Menu

I always played on a drum kit most of my life. I find that I can do better on the pad than on the kit and I know this sounds weird. I always had problems with the bass drum screwing up my solos no matter how hard I try to co-ordinate it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    im just the opposite, love the kit, hate the pad. but my pad also doesnt have anywhere near the rebound of my snare.
    This.