Thread: 3 problems plz help

User Info Menu

Default 3 problems plz help

hi everyone
    as u can see from the title above ive 3 problems i hope u guys can answer
    first:- im currently juggling 3 bands n everytime i must move my drum set im getting tired of it any suggestion will help.
    second:- i think every drummer has this problem my neighbores r complaining from the noise i tried silencers on my drum it doesnt work
    third:-im playing punk and i need 2 improve my hand speed and foot speed plz advise me on this
    cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: 3 problems plz help

Wow you don't ask for much do you LOL. Moving drums is never an easy thing to do but between 3 bands that's alot of moving. How about drum cases on wheels which you can roll around into the back of a van etc. I have seen some where all your drums would fit into one case with different compartments. Playing punk is loud enough no matter where you are. I would advise maybe rent a garage or barn out in the country where you can play as loud as you want without disturbing the neighbours. I built a shed ( bunkie) 10 x12 about 50 feet from the house and you can't hear it at all cause it is well insulated. As for improving your hand and feet speed I would say practice different combinations of feet and hand beats and rudiments. That's about all the advise I can give you. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Ok, here is my take on it:

1. The good thing is that you're exposed to a number of musicians which is always good. Transporting the drums suck. I recommend you get some very very cheap shells. If you can get two sets of very cheap shells, you can keep them at 2 of the rehearsal places. Just bring your stands and cymbals when you play. Last summer I bought an old 4pc for $50....they're horrible, but good enough for practicing.
    2. Dude, you play in 3 bands...when do you have time to practice?
    3. Use thinner sticks and eat energy bars before practice. Try to pace yourself during your sets...that is, save your energy for songs that really need them.

User Info Menu

I bought an ekit so I can play in my apt., without the neighbors complaining (I wear headphones). Try using a pillow as a practice pad to improve hand speed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pearl mcx man View Post
    wow you don't ask for much do you lol. Moving drums is never an easy thing to do but between 3 bands that's alot of moving. How about drum cases on wheels which you can roll around into the back of a van etc. I have seen some where all your drums would fit into one case with different compartments. Playing punk is loud enough no matter where you are. I would advise maybe rent a garage or barn out in the country where you can play as loud as you want without disturbing the neighbours. I built a shed ( bunkie) 10 x12 about 50 feet from the house and you can't hear it at all cause it is well insulated. As for improving your hand and feet speed i would say practice different combinations of feet and hand beats and rudiments. That's about all the advise i can give you. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by oaklandrichie View Post
    i bought an ekit so i can play in my apt., without the neighbors complaining (i wear headphones). Try using a pillow as a practice pad to improve hand speed.
    +1
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Congrats on being in 3 bands.

I guess you should practice where one of your bands practices. Since your neighbors are already complaining there's just about nothing you can do to fix the problem. One time I was in a hotel and the people next door saw me carrying in my electric guitar. I was playing unplugged, with my fingers, for about 5 minutes before they banged on the door complaining of the noise.

The only way I've been able to improve my speed (not that I'm speedy) is to practice, and then practice some more.

I lived in the UK in the 70s and really liked punk music back then. Still like to listen to some of John Lydon's old stuff.
    Not young enough to know everything

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well, if you've ever heard me play the drums, you might think that I'm appropriating them for some purpose other than their original design!

User Info Menu

In terms of speed, no question it's practice. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but when I was it was simply because we played fast for a couple of hours every day.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat moturson!

#1. Break the kit down to the basics if you're burned out moving your kit. I tried to haul my double bass kit to practice just once and that was enough. The following week, I brought my e-kit. Third week, it was acoustic snare, kick, hats and ride and one up and one down. I know where you're coming from. It never gets easy when you got three bands to play in.

#2. Talk to your neighbors. Don't feel it's your "right" to disturb the peace. I had a real bad attitude when I was playing in my 1st punk band because that's was the entire attitude of that genre. I butted heads with my neighbors and they had the cops parked outside of the house my bandmates were renting with a decibel meter. They knocked on the door and showed us the meter and told us to knock it off or else we were going to jail.

Moved away at the end of the month but re-established better communications with my new neighbors and we even had a practice schedule timeline worked out with everybody who lived within a block from the garage. We kept our word and stuck to the time designated to play and the neighbors were cool about the whole deal. In return, if we got loud, they came over and let us know rather than calling the cops.

#3. Practice with a metronome if you don't use one. Start out slow and build your muscle memory on a slow BPM (beats per minute). Increase your speed as you get smooth and push the speed to a point where you start to crap out. Then find where it smooths out again and stick to that tempo until you think you can handle a faster one. You'll slowly notice that your speed will start to increase along with accuracy.

User Info Menu

find out your local ordinances, i.e. decibal levels and don't go over. Sound proof enough to get under and they can't say crap. I play anytime I feel like it.