Thread: cymbals over time

User Info Menu

Default cymbals over time

is it true that cymbals sound better with age?

I've got a paiste alpha ride and had it for 8 months and its just starting to have a sound more of what I'm after because i got it in a set and it seems to have got rid of all the really high pitched cutting tones that i didn't like about it.

is this normal in cymbals aging or is it the grease and dirt that accumulates from not cleaning them?
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

Default Re: cymbals over time

I think this is true, but it's hard to tell if I'm just imagining any sound difference or the sound is actually changing. I definitely like my cymbals a lot more now than I did when I first got them, but that could just be because I've gotten used to the sound.
    Matt

User Info Menu

yeah i was wondering if it was just my imagination or if they really do sound different??
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

i think that if you don't clean them they sound better too... no way to be sure though
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

i also think older cymbals sound better, but this is maybe because after so much use of it you get used to it

User Info Menu

Cymbals do "mellow" over time, but we're talking years, possibly decades. I don't think there would be an appreciable sound difference in a cymbal after eight months. That has more to do with the ear I think.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    cymbals do "mellow" over time, but we're talking years, possibly decades. I don't think there would be an appreciable sound difference in a cymbal after eight months. That has more to do with the ear i think.

All the best...
    +1

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

ThePloughman Guest

Your ear is becoming atuned to the frequencies of your cymbal. It probably sounded just as good when you didnt like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Your ear is becoming atuned to the frequencies of your cymbal. It probably sounded just as good when you didnt like it.
    Agreed! I didn't like this Paiste Twenty 20" Light Ride I got last month until I heard it on a recording of some songs we're working on. Now, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware