Thread: Herbie Han**** - with a KEYTAR!!!

User Info Menu

Default Herbie Han**** - with a KEYTAR!!!

I saw Herbie Hanc0ck last night. Absolutely awesome gig - they played outstandingly, in so many different styles (from jazz and fusion to relatively straight rock, some weird ambient stuff, an unaccompanied piano piece, and even some tribal African sounding stuff).

Vinnie Colaiuta was on drums (one of the best living drummers - used to play with Zappa) and made me want to laugh and cry simultaneously. He was just so musically expressive.

Herbie pulled out a keytar about 3 times during the show - and I couldn't help but think of RD! But it did show that the instrument could be redeemed in the hands of a master. This guy was just incomporable. Up there with the best musicians I've ever seen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jobby
    Herbie pulled out a keytar about 3 times during the show - and I couldn't help but think of RD! But it did show that the instrument could be redeemed in the hands of a master. This guy was just incomporable. Up there with the best musicians I've ever seen.

You've gone too far now!

drummer, I demand that this cretan be perimantly banned now!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    You've gone too far now!

drummer, I demand that this cretan be perimantly banned now!!
    It's spelt 'cretin'.

Can you spell 'irony'?

Seriously though. I was very skeptical of the keytar, but it was perfect. It allowed him (essentially the frontman) to come up front and jiggle about a bit. But was also a different kind of instrument. He was playing keyboard with one hand, the other hand was doing stuff like pitchbending (almost like a whammy bar on a guitar) or altering base chords, changing the keyboard sound. I was really impressed. And it was only a few times, he also played grand piano and a stack of electric keyboards and computer setup stuff.

Just so darn good!!!

User Info Menu

Dude its his name. I think we can do without the asterisks.

User Info Menu

did he play rockit? i used to break dance to that. no really.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jobby
    It's spelt 'cretin'.

Can you spell 'irony'?

Can you spell ?

User Info Menu

I can spell! I was a secretary for 15 years!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    did he play rockit? i used to break dance to that. no really.
    Yep. A really great arrangement of rockit - including a section in the middle where there was dueling solos between him and Nathan East (the bass player).

User Info Menu

DUDE!!! Nathan East was playing with Herbie? Man, he's a PHENOMENAL bass player, a true master at his craft.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Yep. It was an all-star band.

Herbie, Vinnie, Nathan, and on guitar was Lionel Loueke (who was just outstanding).