Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps the first recorded blast beats?

User Info Menu

Default Perhaps the first recorded blast beats?

This was recorded some time in the 60's, not entirely sure WHAT year though. WARNING - DO NOT LISTEN IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6MKKqMFsZc"]YouTube - Albert Ayler - Holy Ghost[/ame]

This made me laugh my socks off hahaha
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Default Re: Perhaps the first recorded blast beats?

I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

This sounds like a kid having a seizure while playing drums decided to have a jam session with a kid having an equally bad seizure while playing a sax.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    This sounds like a kid having a seizure while playing drums decided to have a jam session with a kid having an equally bad seizure while playing a sax.
    Priceless
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!
    That was kinda painful
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

So bad that it's good

User Info Menu

It's what jazz is all about man, freedom of expression.

User Info Menu

Yeah.......man......like ......oakeemcsmokeeskiddlydoo.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Like SGD once said, it sounds like people with downs trying to tune an instrument LOL
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheBluePill View Post
    So bad that it's good
    I actually agree. I've already downloaded the song onto my computer and I've listened to it a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    It's what jazz is all about man, freedom of expression.
    Freedom of expression, yeah. They must've been in need of seeing the shrink! :P
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if they're playing on purpose or if there are bees in the studio.

User Info Menu

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! LOL!!!

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

are they playing the same song ??????? that sounds like when i was in the highschool band . thats what it sounded like before the director came into the room .. gotta go , my ears hurt ...
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

-Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sonorkid View Post
    OWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! LOL!!!

sk
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Flight of the Bumblebee meets Jazz, meets Metal wannabe. I think they all met at an intersection and it was a serious wreck! Oh the carnage!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

It sounds like it was recorded on a windy night. I hear the howl of the wind in the background. Oh, and... Heroin is bad, mmkay?
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Sounds like a group of jr high kids warming up!
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals

User Info Menu

It was a long and interesting night with some old friends and I thought I'd put this up remembering Xweasels history of the blast beat post a few months back. Some of you younger guys\gals may not know anything about this. There's some history here if you're interested.

Remember the first Billy Jack movie? Remember the song, One Tin Soilder? It was sung by Jinx Dawson, singer of the band Coven. and it was one controversial song when it came out. It was controversial because of the lyrics and because it was sung by her. When you know who the singer is, the moral tale of the song takes on a very different meaning. Coven's second album, Witchcraft Destroys Minds and Reaps Souls, was pulled by Mercury right after it came out because Esquire Magazine had come out with an issue that linked Coven with Charles Manson and other nonsense. Their very real association with the occult and witchcraft wasn't nonsense though.Pulling the album was odd though since the band had signed their contracts in their own blood. It's not like Mercury didn't know what they were about.

Ozzy had nothing on this band. In fact Oz Osborne is the bass player in Coven, and Black Sabbath took their name from the song, Black Sabbath, off the album. You can also see in the videos that the "Horn" sign Dio was so fond of taking credit for, Jinx was doing at least back in 67.

About the blast beat, the second video is usually credited for being the first use of the blast beat starting at 2:10. It's not what we're use to today, but back then, . . . .

Although they work hard to down play what they're about, this wasn't theatrics for the band. This is what they're about. Interestingly enough, not getting credited for any of this means nothing to them. There's even a thrash band of young kids that took their name. They don't care. Can't imagine many musicians or bands today taking that attitude. Also, Jinx doesn't look much different today then she did back in the day. http://www.myspace.com/jinxdawson

If any of you metal players are interested in history of Death, Black and Goth Metal, there's alot more on youtube.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTKx2f44tDo"]YouTube - Coven - One tin soldier (with lyrics)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa6PjTZVZvg&feature=related"]YouTube - Coven - Dignataries Of Hell[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVC55JjxRYg&feature=related"]YouTube - The Coven ~ Wicked Woman[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2CnvUVJzAo&feature=related"]YouTube - Coven - Blood on the Snow (1974)[/ame]
    Last edited by Riverr1; 04-07-2011 at 06:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    This was recorded some time in the 60's, not entirely sure WHAT year though. WARNING - DO NOT LISTEN IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH

YouTube - Albert Ayler - Holy Ghost

This made me laugh my socks off hahaha
    Sounds like somebody threw a jazz band down a flight of stairs.

User Info Menu

xWeasel....you might have to listen to some Evan Parker and Derek Bailey whilst ya at it, lol.

This also has the madcap percussionist Jamie Muir, the guy who did stuff together with Bill Bruford on King Crimson's "Lark's Tongues In Aspic".
    http://youtu.be/g6Pl-8CjSeg?hd=1
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Avant garde jazz is not my thing at all. Sorry, but it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
    DW Drummer Signing Off

User Info Menu

Haha. But seriously...
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
    Avant garde jazz is not my thing at all. Sorry, but it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
    Yeah I believe that Albert Ayler record was one of the first freeform jazz records. It's not my thing either haha
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I kept waiting for them to quit warming up.Then I thought I heard stickswizardsdragon for a minute...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.