22. You may not vote on this poll
  • on

11 50.00%
  • off

11 50.00%

Thread: snare throw off

User Info Menu

Question snare throw off

Do you guys turn the throw off on your snare when not in use. I always make it a habit of doing so cause I think it takes the stress off the snare wires. Am I right or not? I am curious to see the response to this question. Thanks for any input.

User Info Menu

Default Re: snare throw off

Me too, being the only one so far to vote yes I've honestly never gave it any thought.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: snare throw off

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    Me too, being the only one so far to vote yes I've honestly never gave it any thought.
    This is the main reason why I brought it up, cause nobody ever thinks of something like that. Maybe some have no idea about this subject so this will sort of educate newbies at the same time I guess.

User Info Menu

I have always turned the snare throw off.......Was told to do that 40 years ago, and have been doing it ever since. Makes sense, at least to me, to take un-needed tension off the snares when not in use.

User Info Menu

Only when I remember but not always. I've never noticed a problem when I did not though. Always if it's going to be stored in it's case.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 12-26-2010 at 11:27 AM.

User Info Menu

I keep it on most of the time.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I agree with olimpass when I am moving or keeping it in the case for storage I will keep the throw off on. In the studio it is always off and has always been for years.

User Info Menu

Never really gave it much thought PMM, so I just leave it on. I will rethink that though. Thanks!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have all my snare drums in my room. They are all tuned differently. When the tv is on, there is constant snare buzz if I leave the snares on.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

im not sure about stressing the snares, but if its on my kit, i turn it off because its near the home theater and the subwoofer will make them buzz like crazy. but in the cases or bags they stay on to protect the wires from getting caught on the edges of the bags.

User Info Menu

In addition to disengaging the snare wires I also loosen the top hi hat so it rests on the bottom hi hat when not in use.

User Info Menu

I never turn mine off...probably should. But, I have yet to ruin a strand of snare wires because of this...and if I ever do, it's a cheap fix.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

yeah i also never turn them off, and my main snare with 25 years still sounds as good as ever!
    "A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."

User Info Menu

Never really thought about it. It makes sense in a physics context. Something under constant pressure will wear out faster if kept in that position all the time. But the wear and tear on the wires is probably slight and wouldn't matter much unless your strainer is cranked up. But if I remember, I will start releasing the strainer after that days playing. Of course, when I start up on the next day's sessions, I will have to engage the strainer after I start the next song.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: snare throw off

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    In addition to disengaging the snare wires I also loosen the top hi hat so it rests on the bottom hi hat when not in use.
    Yes! that is another good example that is worth mentioning Thanks for reminding me cause I do the same. See we learn something everyday on the forum whether it is important or not. Think of anything else let us know we are all ears.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 12-27-2010 at 08:44 AM.

User Info Menu

I was told to switch it off when not in use. I never questioned it, but just did it.

User Info Menu

I have never given it much thought, therefore I have never turned it off, maybe I am missing something! I will say that I have never had a failure as result of not turning it off.