Thread: drum roll

User Info Menu

Default drum roll

question about drum rolls

I can do a drum roll, but how do people do those super smooth rolls and do little fills off that roll. When ever i try doing little fills off my roll, I can never smoothly change back into the roll smoothly and it sounds sloppy. if you don't clearly know what im talking about watch like 30 secs into this clip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bIchqJoxFQ

User Info Menu

Ok, I watched into the clip, but i'm still not sure what you're talking about - plus just bare in mind that is Neil Peart. I'm juts gonna firstly try and see if I can figure out what you mean.

Do mean the part where he is doing the single strok roll on the snare, then accenting by hitting the cymbals while still doing the roll? Or do mean something else?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

And that's why we practice our rudiments boys and girls. Damn but that's good.

A lot of the time, what he's doing is playing fast singles on the snare and then moving a hand away from hitting the snare and hitting something else (tom, cymbal) or playing an accent on the snare.

If you start out slowly and evenly, and then gradually speed up, then you should get better pretty quickly.

For example:

l = left hand on snare (gently)
    r = right hand on snare (gently)
    S = something else (loudly - could be a tom, cymbal or snare accent)

try out

rlrl rlrS rlrl rlrS

to start with, then mix it up a bit.

But the key is really to start slowly, then work your way up.

User Info Menu

Well, the video is just amazing. When he crosses his hands over and over at such a great speed... Unbelievable.

I've got one question for you, though: Did he prepare the whole solo previously, or he plays whatever he feels like at the precise moment of playing the solo?

User Info Menu

Ones like that, at that level are prepared. In fact, that's part of the skill, being able to play it precisely the same everytime. knwing each part, each stroke, it makes it that much more impressive.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

That video is quite amazing, true tribute to Buddy Rich. If i was you i would take Jobby's advice it cant really be put any better, or atleast i cant put it any better hahaha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jobby
    A lot of the time, what he's doing is playing fast singles on the snare and then moving a hand away from hitting the snare and hitting something else (tom, cymbal) or playing an accent on the snare.
    that explains a lot of it, i was wondering how he was rolling on the snare with one hand, but if its just singles I can see how its done. Dang thats fast though.
    While were on the subject, do you need to be fast with your singles if you want to achieve a clean, clean buzz roll?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    that explains a lot of it, i was wondering how he was rolling on the snare with one hand, but if its just singles I can see how its done. Dang thats fast though.
    While were on the subject, do you need to be fast with your singles if you want to achieve a clean, clean buzz roll?
    Most of the smooth rolls you hear (as in the old timey 'drum roll, please, before I open the envelope) are either 2 stroke rolls or buzz/press-stroke rolls. It's just impossible to play a single-stroke roll that fast.

User Info Menu

haha alright thanks job

User Info Menu

When are single and double stroke rolls used? Is it dependent on the speed and/or length of the drum roll?

User Info Menu

Hmm. I can only get the roll and then hit a cymbal smooth with my right hitting the cymbal.

User Info Menu

thats called speed man!

User Info Menu

I prefer Lobster Rolls, but that's just me......

User Info Menu

like hawaii 5-0 style im assuming..... Just practice buzz rolls.... Then start hitting really hard on different beats..... Then add different accents to the roll... Thats all it is.
    That and making rudiments up with buzzing parts through it.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters