Thread: Trouble with metronome

User Info Menu

Default Trouble with metronome

Greetings,

This is my first post on this board.

I've been drumming for close to 8 years now. I started out with private lessons and have been in a few bands.

I'm just now learning how to play to metronome. My current band is electronic, and when i play with a combination of Click AND Music i'm totally fine and on point, but when i play to a metronome by itself i can't seem to keep time.

the discipline i've adopted is practicing 10 minutes every day to a metronome and playing 1/4 notes on on my drum pad (beat 1 and 3 with my right hand and beat 2 and 4 with my left hand). i've done this for 3 weeks now (i think there was only 4 days total that i missed) and noticed very minor improvement. i don't seem to be catching on.

i was told to start at the slowest tempo (40 bpm for the one i'm using) and during my practice session i'll be on beat for a few strokes, but when that happens i can't hear the click and have no reference point, then i over-think it and that's when i fall off tempo.

the metronome i started out using is the online one (sorry ttn, but I had to delete the link because the site contains things for sale. That makes it a commercial link, and it is prohibited by the Forum Rules. -PB)
    but yesterday my girlfriend bought me a korg metronome for christmas. I will try it out tomorrow.

MY QUESTION:
    Should i be patient and keep doing the same routine, or is there a technique you can recommend?

User Info Menu

Default Trouble with metronome

Hi,

This is my first post on this board. My first post didn't go through, hope i'm not accidentally double posting

anyways, i'm having trouble playing to a metronome. I've been drumming for 8 years, been in a few bands, and can play on time with a click track AND music together, but not a click by itself

i've been practicing 1/4 notes on my drum pad to 40 bpm for 10 minutes every day for the past 3 weeks (minus 3 or 4 days that i missed) and i see very little improvement.

should i stick to the same routine i'm on now and just be more patient? or is there another method you can suggest?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trouble with metronome

Welcome to Drum Chat turkeytoenails!

It sounds like maybe the sound of the metronone is too close to the sound of you beats, so you find yourself concentrating to hear it, and you lose track of your playing. Are you using headphones, or in ear phones? If not, these might help you in hearing the metronone more clearly so that you don't have to focus on it as much.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I find it hard to believe myself. Unless you're pulling our leg, you might want to sign up for a few lessons with a qualified teacher to see if he can steer you in the right direction. One on one lessons are invaluable especially with regard to little bumps in the road that we have trouble getting over ourselves.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

i've come to find starting at 80-100 BPM on the metronome then once comfortable moving down (or up) is easiest for me.
    "A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."

User Info Menu

Playing slower than your comfort zone is hard - don't feel bad. Try subdividing the beats in your head and see if that helps. If the metronome is beeping or clicking out quarter notes at 40 bpm (1 - 2 - 3 - 4...), subdivide by counting the eighth notes in your head -- still with quarter notes at 40 bpm (count to yourself: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and...) The ands fall on the eighth notes between each quarter. Best of luck!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat rstange1!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Actually, when you are cancelling out the sound of the metro with your beat, that means you are dead on!

all the best...

User Info Menu

@Pastor Bob
    it just so happens that i got a new pair of headphones as well as a REAL metronome (not an online one) for christmas, what i tried is doing the first half of my metro routine with my headphones on, then taking them off and it really made a huge difference. thank you!

@Drummer
    I promise am not pulling your leg! i took lessons for 3.5 years from a teacher who was very old fashioned. i was on the drum pad for months before i was allowed on the kit, he never had me play to a metronome though, he recommended it but never made it part of my homework. I should also add that i didn't have as much discipline as i have now and wasn't a very good student. I've wanted to return to private lessons for a few years now but finances are tough. i'm actually on the verge of kicking off my own business, when that happens i'll have more time and money to devote to things like music lessons.

@kay-gee
    I know, but that's my problem. when i'm perfectly on beat (and as a result, can't hear the click) i lose my reference point. So with my new metronome i've tried the 1/8 note feature which helps a lot. i'll play with 1/8 notes for a few minutes then go back to 1/4 notes, i've noticed some improvements already.

Thanks for your input everyone!