Thread: Lessons...

User Info Menu

Default Lessons...

So I got a gift certificate for 4 free drum lessons, and i'm not really sure what I should ask to work on. I know I want him to look at my grip, posture, etc, but does anyone have any other suggestions?
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lessons...

Well, it sounds like you've got a pretty good basis. But otherwise, you need to self-analyze. When you're playing, the moment you think "I wish," you know what to work on. Surely there must be SOMETHING in your playing you'd like to be better at or haven't learned before. Just decide what is most important to you.

User Info Menu

I'd focus on getting to learn a different genre/style. I had to learn how to swing, and I learned some basics from corps style drumming. Taps and accents taps and accents.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Are you just going to do the four lessons.....or will you continue?
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Agree with EddieV, you can get more than 4 lessons on this site alone. Most teachers will want you to start out with the rudiments which is an important base to begin the process.
    When you get "bit by the bug" you'll play with a passion to practice and learn hours a day to try and satisfy the craving. 30 years later, I'm still trying to satisfy that craving.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 12-30-2010 at 03:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Agree with EddieV, you can get more than 4 lessons on this site alone. Most teachers will want you to start out with the rudiments which is an important base to begin the process.
    When you get "bit by the bug" you'll play with a passion to practice and learn hours a day to try and satisfy the craving. 30 years later, I'm still trying to satisfy that craving.
    I know all about the bug lol....I've been playing for almost 12 years, so it's not the fundamentals i'm after. I doubt I will go beyond the four lessons because you're right, there is loads of informations here at my disposal, but I just want to make the most of it while I can.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by defcon235 View Post
    So I got a gift certificate for 4 free drum lessons, and i'm not really sure what I should ask to work on. I know I want him to look at my grip, posture, etc, but does anyone have any other suggestions?
    with your experience, have the instructor watch how you move around your set..sometimes we miss an opportunity to see ourselves and there could be a better or different way to position yourself for ease of transition from one drum to another, something i feel we all just take for granted..especially if you are a working drummer.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

defcon, with what you can do already, I would discuss the concerns that you already mentioned, and then I would have the teacher show you what you need to learn to get into a whole new style.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I would go and sit down in and play for the instructor and see what he/she thinks you need to work on.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I would go and sit down in and play for the instructor and see what he/she thinks you need to work on.
    Ditto

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northern redneck View Post
    i would go and sit down in and play for the instructor and see what he/she thinks you need to work on.
    +1
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    defcon, with what you can do already, I would discuss the concerns that you already mentioned, and then I would have the teacher show you what you need to learn to get into a whole new style.
    That's what I would say too. Try something different: latin, funk, jazz, etc.
    Not young enough to know everything

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well, if you've ever heard me play the drums, you might think that I'm appropriating them for some purpose other than their original design!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Ditto....+1
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8