Thread: not sure what type of drumset this is, and if it's worth the money

User Info Menu

Default not sure what type of drumset this is, and if it's worth the money

I am considering getting this set of drums if it's worth it. From what I can tell it's an older set, but the price is $300 for everything.

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...ba216018f1.jpg

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...af73a813f2.jpg

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...79bbff1b76.jpg

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: not sure what type of drumset this is, and if it's worth the money

That is a fusion set of Pearl Exports. 10 and 12 inch rack toms and 14 inch hanging floor tom. The guy has them set up kind of strange.. so don't let that fool you. Definitely not a bad set of drums at all, but that kit was around 400-500 new a year ago or so. I'd try to talk him down to under 250 on it, so you can then have some money left over for another cymbal or so and some hardware.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Thats seems like a good deal to me.

User Info Menu

Yea, looks like a good to me as well, but, you can usually get the price down some, hardly anybody prices their stuff at their bottom dollar.

User Info Menu

+1 on a weird setup. I mean, what exactly was running through his head when he set this up?

But yea, 300 is a decent starting price for that. Definitely see if you can get it down to 250. Then you've got enough left to play around with in case you need to make some repairs or replace some things. And as a bonus, it's got a nice look to it
    Last edited by NoiseInMotion; 12-27-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: typo
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

That second picture belongs in the Craig's List thread with all the other wacky setups.

As for "$300 for everything", what is "everything"? I don't see hi-hats in this picture. I saw another post where you wrote that the high end of your budget was $400. Be careful buying a $300 set without hi-hats. Having only $100 for a hi-hat stand and the cymbals will drastically limit your choices.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    That second picture belongs in the Craig's List thread with all the other wacky setups.

As for "$300 for everything", what is "everything"? I don't see hi-hats in this picture. I saw another post where you wrote that the high end of your budget was $400. Be careful buying a $300 set without hi-hats. Having only $100 for a hi-hat stand and the cymbals will drastically limit your choices.
    Hats are sitting right there by the kit.
    That kit is less than 5yrs old. it comes with a couple of cymbals $300 is a great deal.
    Its a Pearl EXR here in Canada that kit sold for around $750+tax new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Hats are sitting right there by the kit.
    That kit is less than 5yrs old. it comes with a couple of cymbals $300 is a great deal.
    Its a Pearl EXR here in Canada that kit sold for around $750+tax new.
    Whoops! Missed those. Yeah, that's not bad then.

User Info Menu

Looks like a fair set...and I would use the saved money to buy a snare stand for that 14"
    floor tom..like the color too.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I don't think that is the set he uses in that picture. It's more for showing what the kit consists of. Still a good deal for that price.

User Info Menu

Exclamation Re: not sure what type of drumset this is, and if it's worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I don't think that is the set he uses in that picture. It's more for showing what the kit consists of. Still a good deal for that price.
    Agreed.

He just threw it together for a pic. Nice kit though. With cymbals, shells and hardware, not a bad price. Did they say what heads are on the shells? What kind of cymbals?

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

The heads are stock protones, probably would need changing soon. Can't tell on the cymbals from the attached pics.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

dave0549jv Guest

I paid 425 for a set of used late 90's exports with no cymbals, and i dont think i got ripped off. I'd say 300 with a couple cymbals, and some hardware is a damn good deal. If it looks like it's in reasonably good shape, i'd definitely go for it.

User Info Menu

I went and looked at this set today, but I don't know I wasn't that impressed with it, based on some things I'm seeing/reading it was a good deal, but maybe I'm a cosmetic person and just the coloring didn't work for me? I'm sort of blabbering, but hoping I made the right decision not to get this set. I am definitely going to keep searching though, thanks for the feedback guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jokiki View Post
    I went and looked at this set today, but I don't know I wasn't that impressed with it, based on some things I'm seeing/reading it was a good deal, but maybe I'm a cosmetic person and just the coloring didn't work for me? I'm sort of blabbering, but hoping I made the right decision not to get this set. I am definitely going to keep searching though, thanks for the feedback guys!
    I think you may have passed up on a good deal. If the set was in good condition, I think it was worth the money even if the wrap wasn't ideal. Your budget isn't all that high ($400, right?) so you may be waiting for quite a while if you want a complete set in good condition that not only fits your budget but also your exact criteria for aesthetics. Nothing wrong with wanting what you want, but you should realize that you will probably be browsing Craig's List for a few weeks, if not months (or longer).