Thread: Is it unhealthy to listen to a metronome through headphones?

User Info Menu

Default Is it unhealthy to listen to a metronome through headphones?

In order to help out my "internal timing", I listen to my metronome by itself through earphones, once overnight. Does anyone have any insight on the health risks or benefits of this?
    "A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."

dave0549jv Guest

Default Re: Is it unhealthy to listen to a metronome through headphones?

im not sure what the health implications might be, but i have heard it done before. one guy i know tried it, and he found himself subconcsiously doing things (like walking) at a steady 60 bpm.

User Info Menu

There's no way I could do that lol, my metronome is so loud it hurts, and it only comes through in one ear. lol.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I've heard of people who put a quiet one under their pillows.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

This is similar in concept to a pregnant mother reading to her unborn baby. Nobody can prove the benefits but some people swear by it.

User Info Menu

If it is done overnight, it would be "heard" at the subconscious level. As such, there is no need for the kind of volume necessary for consious hearing. Although there is some anecdotal evidence that subliminal learning takes place, the jury is still out about the real effectiveness. My feeling would be that as long as you keep the volume very low, so that the ears are protected, then it's worth a try. It might not work for everyone, but it just might work for you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

hehe im a walking metronome anyway im so suprised with the weird things i can do and still stay in time
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

User Info Menu

and also to do with the metronome i want to do it but dont have a metronome
    i always count along with seconds so i am perfectly in harmony with the seconds
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

Larrysperf Guest

1I 2dont 3think 4 it 1can 2hurt 3good 4 luck

User Info Menu

Under doctor's orders not use a metronome and headphones while sleeping cause it makes my heart race so bad that I vibrate the bed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Swagnific3nt View Post
    In order to help out my "internal timing", I listen to my metronome by itself through earphones, once overnight. Does anyone have any insight on the health risks or benefits of this?
    The only risk I see is my wife puting subliminal messages in there. Like "sell my drum set, buy my wife more stuff". Or " I like shopping for my wife". Maybe " I'm a monkey". Next thing I'd know is an over whelming urge to eat bannannas and climb trees and pick bugs out of my dogs hair.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    The only risk I see is my wife puting subliminal messages in there. Like "sell my drum set, buy my wife more stuff". Or " I like shopping for my wife". Maybe " I'm a monkey". Next thing I'd know is an over whelming urge to eat bannannas and climb trees and pick bugs out of my dogs hair.
    Classic!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Bright 'n Clean Guest

Sounds interesting, but you will only be listening to one speed a night.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bright 'n Clean View Post
    Sounds interesting, but you will only be listening to one speed a night.
    Exactly. You know what they say: Rome wasn't built in a day. Same goes with drumming, headphones, no headphones, metronome, no metronome. Eventually, you'll get up to your desired speed. However, today is not that day.

To answer your question, though, I do recommend it. Because, eventually, you'll get up to your desired speed much easier.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

apparently ear buds raise the amount of bacteria in your ear to over 700x its normal amount, and I'm not exactly sure what an extended period of exposure would result in if you wear them to bed.

Other then that I would say keep it below 90db and any long exposure should not be harmful to your ear drums.

User Info Menu

I don't see how this would be beneficial to be honest. I mean think about it... even if the subliminal impacts DID work (and based on my own research, I think this is more BS and a misunderstanding of hypnotic sleep states VS REM sleep IMHO) every song you play will have variance in speeds.... just learn to play with a click track.... it's amazing how much this improves your timing both when in and not in use, and your skills and desirability as a drummer will sky-rocket... at least they did for me.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    1I 2dont 3think 4 it 1can 2hurt 3good 4 luck
    Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post

2 classically funny posts here.

I wouldn't do it not becasue of any health risks that I know of, it would just drive me insane.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband