Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Beginner Question (I think)

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Beginner Question (I think)

    I’ve been playing around 6 months so bear with me

    At the moment I have a Sound Percussion 5 piece set

    13, 14, and 16 toms have EC2 Clear drum heads on the batter and EC1 heads on the reso

    The problem is the 13 and 14 inch toms sound good when not mounted and being held up by the rim
    As soon as I set them up though they have so many overtones and little resonance
    I was looking at the Gibraltar GTS RIMS for my tom toms. Do you think this would fix the problem?

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Tune them while they are mounted

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Tune them while they are mounted
    This might work.....or you could try some moongel or e-rings. A lot cheaper than new mounts.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    I already do tune them mounted.
    The moongel does get rid of the overtones but it also kills the little resonance i have on the mounts. You just get a thud
    I want more resonance

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    More resonance? Maybe try less-muffled heads like G2's or G1's.
    Peace, Love, and Rock N Roll

    Matt

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    I had the coated g2's before the ec2's but the only problem with them is i got more overtones. ATM the toms don't sound that bad when your playing everything together but when you single the drum out you can really tell the drums got overtones.

    Also another question is I have a tama imperialstar 14 inch floor tom that i was given. Should i use just the 13 inch tom and the use the 14 inch floor tom? Or should i have a 13 and 14 inch mounted toms and 14 and 16 floor toms. That setup seems a little weird though. Right now it's just sitting there
    Last edited by mcdrummer; 12-29-2010 at 02:13 PM.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Quote Originally Posted by mcdrummer View Post
    I already do tune them mounted.
    The moongel does get rid of the overtones but it also kills the little resonance i have on the mounts. You just get a thud
    I want more resonance
    Overtones are caused by uneven tuning in the heads. If both heads are tuned evenly and to the same "note" there should be no overtones. It's also possible you don't have them tuned to each drum's sweet spot...

    Believe me I've had the same battle and to this day am still tweeking things every time I sit behind the kit. Just keep in mind that what YOU hear behind the kit is NOT what the audience hears from a distance. I bet you'd be surprised how good your kit sounds out front.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    That's the problem. It's a clear note and some nice resonance when i hold it up by the rim and hit it. Thats why im wondering if its mounting system that is the problem.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    What kind of rims and mounts? Do you have any pics of your kit?

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    I am using all stock hardware.


    maybe this picture will help?

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Welcome to Drum Chat mcdrummer!

    I think we are all trying to get a handle on the situation so that we can give the right advice. From the picture, there is no doubt that the current tom mounts will reduce the resonance of the shell, as opposed to a rim mount system. On the other hand, you have to factor in the quality of the lugs and tension rods on your kit. A rim mount system with apply the load to the lugs and tension rods and you want to make sure they can handle it.

    Now, to further clarify things, maybe you can tell us why you decided on an EC head for use as a resonant head. I am asking for this clarification because you want more resonance, so I was surprised to see the EC1 listed as your resonant head. I would have expected a single head.

    Again, welcome.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.


    Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

    Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    I choose the ec2's and the ec's because i want a short-medium sustain. I also do like my toms tuned low. I want plenty of attack also
    I get all of that when i hold it up by the rim.
    When i mount it i get almost no sustain and resonance with alot of overtones

    So how would i know if the lugs and tension rods can handle a rim mount system?
    Last edited by mcdrummer; 12-29-2010 at 03:40 PM.

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Quote Originally Posted by mcdrummer View Post
    I’ve been playing around 6 months so bear with me

    At the moment I have a Sound Percussion 5 piece set

    13, 14, and 16 toms have EC2 Clear drum heads on the batter and EC1 heads on the reso

    The problem is the 13 and 14 inch toms sound good when not mounted and being held up by the rim
    As soon as I set them up though they have so many overtones and little resonance
    I was looking at the Gibraltar GTS RIMS for my tom toms. Do you think this would fix the problem?
    I have looked into this set and i honestly think any drummer, starting out or not, needs a better set but good choice of heads. Smart man. but i understand being stuck with a drumset starting out. I've heard that moon gel gets rid of some of the overtones and such. Sometimes the way you tune them can cause these problems. I personally don't like the wood they use in their sets. So my best advice would be moon gels and checking the tuning again. haha.
    Last edited by BlastinBeats<3; 12-29-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    “Going out and playing music - that's what I do. I don't do much else.”- Dave Grohl

    <3---------------------------------------------------------------------------<3
    It goes a little like this: ~Pearl~Remo~Evans~PDP~Vater~Sabian~Zildjian~

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Quote Originally Posted by mcdrummer View Post
    I choose the ec2's and the ec's because i want a short-medium sustain. I also do like my toms tuned low. I want plenty of attack also
    I get all of that when i hold it up by the rim.
    When i mount it i get almost no sustain and resonance with alot of overtones

    So how would i know if the lugs and tension rods can handle a rim mount system?
    Do you have a music store with a drum section near you? If so, I would check with them. They can see the drums and can make the call right there.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.


    Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

    Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Quote Originally Posted by mcdrummer View Post
    I’ve been playing around 6 months so bear with me

    At the moment I have a Sound Percussion 5 piece set

    13, 14, and 16 toms have EC2 Clear drum heads on the batter and EC1 heads on the reso

    The problem is the 13 and 14 inch toms sound good when not mounted and being held up by the rim
    As soon as I set them up though they have so many overtones and little resonance
    I was looking at the Gibraltar GTS RIMS for my tom toms. Do you think this would fix the problem?
    Here's alittle something I do when tuning. Take your drum stick and about a 1/2" to 1" below each lug, tapp the head at each lug and work your way around clockwise listening to the tone. If you have some lugs with different tones, you need to work some more on evening those out to where they are all in the same tone. Don't adjust anything till you've made a couple rounds on the head with the stick. Then adjust your tension according to what you hear. Make very small adjustments. The adjustments you make on one lug will affect the opposite lug if you make to big of an adjustment at once. So make your adjustment and then tap around the head again. I do this one adjustment at a time as needed. If the pitch winds up to high or low, then back the adjustment scres on or off equally and evenly to gain the tone you want from each drum.I use the same process for the reso head also to make sure it's tightened evenly.

    I start out with both heads kinda loose not to tight and go from there. Just listen for the tone I like starting with my smallest tom.

    I've installed several sets of heads, and tuning is a touch listen thing. I've gotten decent with it and am by no means a pro at this, but this technique works well for me.

    Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

    Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Your head selection seems counter-productive to what you're trying to achieve. EC batter/reso combo is going to give you a very focused sound. Since you want some singing from your toms, you should get clear G2s (since you want more attack) with G1 reso. Use Moongel to dampen as desired.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Just going by what you're saying, rims should solve your problem. It might be better to just get another kit though. Cheap and inexpensive mounts can kill a drum. I sometimes think some drummers go overboard pureist with this, but that doesn't change isolation mounts work.

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    Here's alittle something I do when tuning. Take your drum stick and about a 1/2" to 1" below each lug, tapp the head at each lug and work your way around clockwise listening to the tone. If you have some lugs with different tones, you need to work some more on evening those out to where they are all in the same tone. Don't adjust anything till you've made a couple rounds on the head with the stick. Then adjust your tension according to what you hear. Make very small adjustments. The adjustments you make on one lug will affect the opposite lug if you make to big of an adjustment at once. So make your adjustment and then tap around the head again. I do this one adjustment at a time as needed. If the pitch winds up to high or low, then back the adjustment scres on or off equally and evenly to gain the tone you want from each drum.I use the same process for the reso head also to make sure it's tightened evenly.

    I start out with both heads kinda loose not to tight and go from there. Just listen for the tone I like starting with my smallest tom.

    I've installed several sets of heads, and tuning is a touch listen thing. I've gotten decent with it and am by no means a pro at this, but this technique works well for me.
    Thanks helped alot.


    Also another question is I have a tama imperialstar 14 inch floor tom that i was given. Should i use just the 13 inch tom and the use the 14 inch floor tom? Or should i have a 13 and 14 inch mounted toms and 14 and 16 floor toms. That setup seems a little weird though. Right now it's just sitting there

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Quote Originally Posted by mcdrummer View Post
    Thanks helped alot.


    Also another question is I have a tama imperialstar 14 inch floor tom that i was given. Should i use just the 13 inch tom and the use the 14 inch floor tom? Or should i have a 13 and 14 inch mounted toms and 14 and 16 floor toms. That setup seems a little weird though. Right now it's just sitting there
    What are the depths? If they're different then you'll get different sounds out of them. If not, you can still do things to get different sounds (different heads, different tuning, muffling). I say try it out and see how you like the sound and feel of it. If it fits your playing, keep it. There's no rule saying you can't have two toms of the same diameter.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Alright i'll tune it up later and see how it sounds.
    Do you know if i would need to buy anything else if i ever wanted to buy the Gibraltar GTS RIMS? Or it comes with everything i need to mount it to my existing stuff

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Try tuning the resonant heads a little tighter than your batter. This would give it a nice warm low end. Its the standard 12, 13, 16 so I assume this would work
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

    Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Beginner Question (I think)

    Oh wait 13 14 16? I didn't know SP made kits like that
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

    Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •