Thread: Recycling broken cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Recycling broken cymbals

So I have heard of people cutting down their broken crashes rides etc. into "zil-bells" and splashes and whatnot. As I am now a proud owner of a broken crash cymbal, I was thinking that I would do that.

My question is, how do you do it? What do you use? What steps should I take to make sure it doesn't split in half? If someone that has done it successfully could just post a step by step guide I would appreciate it. Much appreciated guys.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recycling broken cymbals

I haven't done it myself, but I have had a cymbal cut down. I had a 9" max splash that had a half inch crack in it. I brought it into the welding shop of the trade school I go to and the teacher cut it down for me on a lathe. So I would say use a lathe, but make sure you have the right kind of blade. Before I gave it to the welding teacher, my dad tried it in his school's woodshop and none of the woodshop blades were sharp enough to go through the metal.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Yes the blade definitly is important to cut a nice even groove all around. You will of several ways of doing from other members. I have never tried it but agree with NoiseInMotion

User Info Menu

i buy and sell cracked cymbals. I Repair them and sell them for a little profit. Tinsnips, file and a few grades of sandpaper. Done deal! Bonza!
    I Drum, therefore I am

User Info Menu

Cutting down cymbals to a smaller diameter makes them sound gongy. You can grind out the affected area if it's a crack in from the edge. If it's a crack along the lathe marks in the middle, you can grind that out or drill a hole at each end to prevent further spreading. You cannot weld a cymbal, even if it's with a piece of the same cymbal. At least not a Zildjian cast cymbal. If they're the stamped out B8 type maybe. Never tried it. If you grind it out by hand with an air grinder in these shapes (nice rounded edges) it will work great. If you have a CNC milling machine or water jet, even better!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kCHQ6AvBPE"]YouTube - Cymbal Repair[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMGAfWBGMM"]YouTube - Cracked Cymbal Repair.wmv[/ame]
    Last edited by Olimpass; 12-31-2010 at 02:56 AM.

User Info Menu

On that last clip he should really just gently run the blade and let the blade do the cutting. The metal will overheat and become brittle othewise. A cutting lubricant stops this!! Also PROTECTIVE GLOVES!!
    I Drum, therefore I am

User Info Menu

I had a Zildjian 18" custom A that developed a 2" crack on me so I decided to try to cut it down around the edge to make it smaller. I used a dremel with a bit used for cutting metal. It cut through pretty easily, but once I finished the cymbal sounded horrible! The bell was way too heavy in comparison to the rest of the cymbal and made it this really loud gongy noise. I'm going to try cutting a bunch of holes in it to see if that helps, but so far I'm not happy with how this has gone and I would not recommend it
    The drums!
    Tama Starclassic Birch 5 piece
    14x6.5 Brass Pork Pie big black snare
    12",14" DDrum Deccabons
    Batter- Aquarian Response 2 coated
    Reso- Aquarian Classic Coated

The Cymbals!
    17" Paiste 2002 Wild Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Power Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    14" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi hats
    10" Wuhan Splash
    16" Wuhan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    You cannot weld a cymbal, even if it's with a piece of the same cymbal.
    The teacher I brought my cracked splash to wanted to try that. After all, he was the school's welding teacher lol.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

I actually have a funny story I wanted to share on this topic that I didn't put in my original post. I have a friend who is a guitarist that has a drum set at his house and his friend cracked one of his cymbals. He was really bummed that his cymbal cracked so he tried to weld it back together by putting it over his stove . I came over a few days later to jam with him to find a bunch of burn marks and a giant crack on the cymbal. He wasn't the sharpest tool in the tool shed to say the least
    The drums!
    Tama Starclassic Birch 5 piece
    14x6.5 Brass Pork Pie big black snare
    12",14" DDrum Deccabons
    Batter- Aquarian Response 2 coated
    Reso- Aquarian Classic Coated

The Cymbals!
    17" Paiste 2002 Wild Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Power Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    14" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi hats