Thread: Electronic drums

User Info Menu

Default Electronic drums

I am considering a purchase of an electronic set(YAMAHA) so I can practice Quietly. Does anyone out there have any experience with these?

User Info Menu

Ive only played elektrik drums instore but they are good if you shell out for them. The cheap ones are rubbish. Ive no experience with the Yamaha set though.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

User Info Menu

Yeah i bought myself a set for the same reason. First of all, don't bother with the Yamaha, save a little more cash and get a good Roland set, (Td-6 is what i have, with mesh snare) If you can get all the pads as mesh, if not at least get the mesh snare. Unfortunately all this can nearly double the price from the Yamaha, but trust me you'll be happy you did. like your looking at a difference similar to a guitar you pick up in Walmart and let's say... a Les Paul.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

I have to agree with Daemon, Yamaha make some good "cheap" setups (but expensive for them), but Roland are definately the Rolls Royce of the electric drum world, and worth every penny. The ones I've managed to play have been fantastic. At my local drum shop they have the TD-6KX V Tour Series - it's almost like playing an accoustic kit, but with total volume and tonal control like no accoustic kit could ever manage. And from what I've managed to find out the TD-20K V-Drums V-Pro - a drummers dream. Basically apparently does everything you could ever want a drum kit to do.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I had a TD-8 for a couple years and it was well worth the money. I would stay away from the Yamaha. I see the DTXpress kits up for sale all the time because nobody is happy with the way they feel. If you need to save some cash and not go all out on a Roland kit, I would suggest looking at Pintech. They are pretty close to the same quality as a Roland, but they don't cost quite as much. You definetly will want to replace the snare with a Roland V-mesh trigger as they feel exactly like a real snare and are dual triggered.

Good luck and welcome to the site!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Roland Yes
    Yamaha No

User Info Menu

I was on the Roland TD-20 today at Guitar Center, that is a really nice set!

User Info Menu

I have had experience with Electronic sets.

I owned a really big Roland kit with all mesh drums and a TD10 module some years back, I also owned a TD8 module for the same kit before the TD10.

The ONLY aspect of both of the V-drum modules that I just couldn't get happy with was any of the Bass drum settings, dont know why, I just couldnt get that monster THUD that I like out of any of them, other than that ALL other settings and the range of options to alter each instruments sound was FANTASTIC.

You will spend a lot of time playing with the settings but once you get it right , man they are hard to beat - so many options.

I would highly recommend Roland Vdrums for an electronic set.
    As others have said, if it takes you a few months, year whatever, longer.....save some bucks and go the Rolands.

My current drum teacher teaches on a cheap-arse electric set ( for the sake of his neighbours ) and it sounds pretty ordinary even when we jam with his guitar and record it , on second thoughts maybe thats ME that sounds ordinary
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Here is my two cents. My husband and I wanted to play the drums, no experience. We bought a cheap set off ebay, cause maybe we wouldn't like it or keep up with it or whatever. Anyways, we love it. So, we are upgrading to a Roland piece by piece. But really our cheap little no-name works just fine, we bought expensive headphones and a very good amp. It is certainly fine for practice, I would think, but them I am not a real drum player. But we have had a highly experienced good drummer play on our set and he liked it just fine. So, I don't know why you would have to spend so much just for something to practice quietly with..

User Info Menu

Thats just the thing though, I use mine for practice at home but when you plug a good Roland kit into a decent sound system and turn the volume up to 11 they sound twice as good. I use mine at a few gigs and at church quite often.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Ok, I suppose to clarify, if it's just something to practice on, a cheap kit wouldn't be so bad - however the feel and level of rebound of a Roland with mesh heads is pretty much exactly the same as an acoutstic, while cheaper ones usually use rubber and don't feel the same. Add to that the fact on the Roands you've got the diual trigger action to rimshot and little touches here and there and they are in a league of their own. SO it depends on the purpose ultimately.

User Info Menu

Yes, I played on a Roland at the drum store and it did feel different. I didn't like it, but it's not what I am use to. It was also bigger, more pieces and I was sort of overwhelmed. So if a Roland feels real, then a cheapo like mine doesn't feel real. I have never played on real drums...

User Info Menu

Nice avatar!

User Info Menu

The other drawback to using a cheaper kit is the gum rubber pads that you get instead of the mesh pads. The gum rubber does not give much and is very hard on your wrists and elbows. I was using the Zildjian Anti-vibe sticks because the shock of hitting rubber was really starting to make my wrist hurt after extended periods of playing.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Definitely Roland!

I've got a Roland electric kit, and it's great. I use it mostly for practice, but have jammed with it (when something a little quieter was necessary, but also doing some electro/techno stuff where it was essential).

You'll never regret it. The customer service is pretty good too.

Yamaha just don't have the same reputation.

User Info Menu

Well, I was back at the music store yesterday, it took FOREVER, my husband was trying to find some certain cords and whatnot, so I sat at the Roland V kit, did rudiments and played played played (headphones). I think I could get used to it, it was great, felt so much better on my bad wrist. Now I am pouting for one but to no avail. It's five grand. We are just buying one piece by piece on ebay, only way we can afford it, we already switched to the Roland Stand, have a Roland Hi-hat and Roland peddle but can't use any of em without the Roland brain...

User Info Menu

See if you can get the TD20 module - it has more settings, higher quality sounds - once it is running through a speaker, you can't tell the difference between that, and a properly miced up acoustic kit.

User Info Menu

I'll tell the man with the wallet...

User Info Menu

CrazyMan, I just told him, he already bought the VII brain. He said the one you speak of is two grand, but he will be happy to take it if you want to buy it for us. It's ok really, we are only babies on the drums, like two months since we picked up the sticks. This will be a nice upgrade, we have an Acme or some such drum set now...

User Info Menu

Default electronic drums

OK, here it is folks : I did buy a kit off ebay, a Roland all mesh 6 piece V-drum set with the TD-10 expanded module.
    Results: no regrets, feel is great, sounds are incredible, been playing them for months now and getting back in form.
    Thanks for all the feed back guys & gals!