Thread: How many of you have a Pearl MCX kit

User Info Menu

Thumbs up How many of you have a Pearl MCX kit

Hi ya Pearl lovers how many have the MCX kits. What is your configuration and finish. Are you happy with this sound etc. Looking forward to hearig from you. I love my MCX in Standard size with the Chestnut Fade finish.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How many of you have a Pearl MCX kit

Dude you know I love mine posted picks of it yesterday with the new heads in show us your drums and bird's-eye
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: How many of you have a Pearl MCX kit

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    Dude you know I love mine posted picks of it yesterday with the new heads in show us your drums and bird's-eye
    Nice kit shabutie2113. I like the finish nice and the new Aquarian heads. Is the snare ( green) a Masters too? Anyway nice kit.

User Info Menu

hey pearlman
    what exactly does mcx stand for ???
    masters custom what ???

User Info Menu

The snare is actually a tama starclassic had to go with the better deal ya know =] and it sounds awesome
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9

User Info Menu

Question Re: How many of you have a Pearl MCX kit

Quote Originally Posted by old low&slo View Post
    hey pearlman
    what exactly does mcx stand for ???
    masters custom what ???
    I think the x is for Maple. Cause every kit I see by Pearl like Vision VMX is Maple or Export EX. I may be wrong but it does make sense.

User Info Menu

Smile Re: How many of you have a Pearl MCX kit

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    The snare is actually a tama starclassic had to go with the better deal ya know =] and it sounds awesome
    What was the difference in price between the two? I bought my MCX matching snare for my kit for 285.00 three years ago. I love the sound of the snare.

User Info Menu

I also have an MCX kit in Chestnut Fade. (10,12,16,22) Love the sound and build quality! I've added a matching 14 X 5.5 snare. I got the snare for $220. It's much better than I expected, great actually.

I'm in the process of adding a 14 X 14 floor tom, and a 13" rack tom. Any opinions on 13 X 9 vs 13 X 11?

User Info Menu

Oh the Memories...............

User Info Menu

MCX the mcx snare was 300 and the tama was 200 so thats why i got the tama
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by al15 View Post
    I'm in the process of adding a 14 X 14 floor tom, and a 13" rack tom. Any opinions on 13 X 9 vs 13 X 11?
    Welcome to Drum Chat, al15. Personally, I think because you already have a 12" and are working on a 14", the 13" won't give you any benefits. I'd buy more cymbals instead.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat, al15. Personally, I think because you already have a 12" and are working on a 14", the 13" won't give you any benefits. I'd buy more cymbals instead.
    I agree with you Bish. I have the 13 and I wish I could trade it for a 10 cause the 12 and 13 are too close. I have the standard size 12-13-16-22 and the 13 does not realy fit in there.

User Info Menu

Smile Re: How many of you have a Pearl MCX kit

I also have an MCX kit in Chestnut Fade. (10,12,16,22) Love the sound and build quality! I've added a matching 14 X 5.5 snare. I got the snare for $220 at Cascio Interstate Music. It's much better than I expected, great actually.

I would go for the 14 not the 13. Your kit will sound better with even numbers. The difference betweent the 13x9 and 13x11 is the depth which is not that big of a difference in sound.IMO

ddrumman2004 Guest

I guess I have the forerunner of the MCX kit....mine is an Masters Custom Extra that I bought back in 1998. It's in a natural maple finish and I love the kit!
    Consists of a 18x22 bass drum, 8x10 and 10x12 rack toms and a 16x16 floor tom. No snare came with the kit so I use my 8x14 maple FF or a 75 Rogers 5x14 COB Dynasonic.

My kit has the ISS mounts which, in my opinion, work just fine. They are easy to remove and head changes are easy as well.

I have found over the years that the best heads for my kit, to my ears, are the ones that came on it...clear Remo Ambassadors. They just "sing" with those heads!

User Info Menu

I also have an MCX kit in Chestnut Fade. (10,12,16,22) Love the sound and build quality! I've added a matching 14 X 5.5 snare. I got the snare for $220 at Cascio Interstate Music. It's much better than I expected, great actually.

I almost bought the snare awhile back, heard a lot of great things about it. Black sparkle fade just caught my eye like no other. I have since gained an appreciation for die cast hoops, something I originally never was into so I wouldn't turn one down if I had another oppurtunity to pick it up. Maybe someday, money is tight at the moment.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

like the other blokes i would give the 13 a miss
    maybe get the 14 floor and add a 8 up top
    easyer to posistion and a nice 2 inch spread
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    don't know if this counts, but ive just bought a slightly older masters - from when the badges used to be gold and rectangular.

it's a masters custom with full maple shells with tone rings either end. in emerald green lacquer.

the guy i bought it from had from new and got it custom made. 13" + 14" + 16" and 22".

only just getting it to how i want it, but i'm happier and happier each time i play it.

kick drum is like thunder, with good length of sustain (not too long) - no pillows or anything needed. (powerstroke3) - real proper thud to it (shakes up the room!)

toms are also fantastic - but would like to swap the batters from powerstroke3's over to Ambassador X. (ambassador clear on reso). find powerstrokes too "closed".

only mistake ive made I THINK is buying a pearl chad smith steel snare to go with it. Waaaay to ringy for my liking. Going to try and get a 13 or 14x6 maple snare with 4-6 plies
    Any Masters counts no matter how old they are. MCX replaced all the masters series. The only difference is MCX only comes in Maple which is too bad cause some would love the Masters in other wood selections.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddahenry View Post
    like the other blokes i would give the 13 a miss
    maybe get the 14 floor and add a 8 up top
    easyer to posistion and a nice 2 inch spread
    Here's what I ended up with - 10,12,13,14,16,22. And I use them all. I think it depends a lot on how you tune the intervals.

Al in Illinois
    I just love to beat on stuff with sticks!

Pearl Kits:
    Reference: Crystal Rain - 10,12,13,14,16,22
    Masters MCX: Chestnut Fade - 10,12,13,14,16,22
    Vision VBX: Orange Zest - 10,12,13,14,16,18,22